Venting-allergic child and huge bag of glitter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoriabar

Reaction score
OMG... My wits end has just flown past!!!

My 4yro daughter has quite severe food allergies where even traces can cause issues.
Hidden ingredients are the bain of our lives!!

She was given a lolly after school yesterday, ingredients checked and kept and all seemed to be A-OK, until 4 mins after it went into her mouth, spots come up on her face and behaviour went like the flick of a switch (trying to run off into roads, not listening, stamping feet tantrum style, shouting at me etc etc- everything not her norm) I'm told this is the adrenaline coursing through her body affecting her normal behaviour.

Anyway I explained I thought the lolly have stuff in it and tried taking it (usually she would hand over anything risky super quick) but she wrapped it in her hair to stop me taking it.. Fab excuse for now throwing it away, thanks for that!!

As she was staying at my older daughters the night while I was at college I warned her of the changes and wished her a semi calm night...
I got a txt or three at college saying I needed to collect has ASAP as she was out of control. She had emptied make up all over the cream carpets, smeared it over walls, doors, toilet, door frames, banister, stairgate, her own body, mirror etc. lip gloss, foundation, powders, pencils.. You name it it was used.

By the time I got there after college she was asleep amid the mess.
When I spoke to her about it the reactions were still there in her system and she couldn't tell me why she had done it, it's like she is totally unaware of what she's done so wrong. So very frustrating!!

She's unable to go to school today due to the reaction still in her system (spots, lace rash over face, shiners, pale, weepy, vomity, behavioural, sleepy) and because she also has violent outbursts I find it best to have her home.

Well I sat her with colouring stuff while I tidied this morning around her and quickly nipped to the loo, come back into the room to find her standing looking at me, she then moved aside and there is glitter everywhere... She has bitten through a bag of glitter. I've no idea why as its a pop top baggie or even no idea why she's even touched my stuff, or gone to my stuff... Especially as she had to pass her own nail tub to touch mine.

Now glitter yes it gets everywhere and in the grand scheme of things is no big deal BUT the allergy fallout and behaviour is so draining.

I shouted and sent her to her room where she has been screaming and kicking for 30mins now.

Does anyone realise how far a 100g bag of .008 holographic silver glitter goes??? Far and wide is the answer, even my cats sparkle!!

Pic is the table, very little on the table, the floor and sofas got depth!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353498297.534181.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353498297.534181.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 286
Oh my, I really feel for you. It's so hard with children when they have no control and no idea why they do things :-( big hugs x
I love glitter but hate how even the smallest amount can make the whole house look like Christmas :)
Make a cuppa, ring someone for a chat, that's what I usually do when I'm having a trying time with my son, hope your day gets better xx

Oh dear! I didn't want to read and run but I'm afraid I haven't got anything very useful to say apart from there's your room decorated for Christmas!

How long does it take for it to get out of her system? The poor thing, it must be as exhausting for her as it is for you. Do you know if its something that she'll grow out of?

Hope the rest of the day calms down for you Hun :).

I want to see the sparkly cats. LOL
On a serious note though, here is a big hug for you :hug: and I hope it all settles down really soon. It is hard to be so vigilant all the time but what a lucky little girl to have a mom that helps her so much.

I want to see the sparkly cats. LOL
On a serious note though, here is a big hug for you :hug: and I hope it all settles down really soon. It is hard to be so vigilant all the time but what a lucky little girl to have a mom that helps her so much.

I want to see them too! Lol.

Deep breaths, it can only get better :( xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

Aww bless you:hug:. Takes me back a few years when my daughter was that age.I felt like tearing my hair out at times as she could be such a little madam. It does get better though. My little girl is 9 now and although she has her moments she's a real treasure. x

Thanks ladies, I calmed down and went to Capital - with daughter of course. Had to wait for the anti-hystimines to kick in first tho ;)

Sparkly cats are not impressed lol
My hairbrush seems to have been used to brush off the table.. Didn't realise until after my shower.. So now I have sparkly hair too lol

Her allergies and reactions have gotten worse as she's getting older, I'm told chance are she may never grow out of this as its not just a reaction but also has anaphylaxis if consumed. She's severe allergic to all dairy, lactose and milk proteins and intolerant to soya so trace reactions are regular but not so often the contact or disruptive reactions.

She's back in hospital in 8 wks for another food challenge but this time it's for soya, the dairy one came back as instant and severe so epipen n daily anti hysts to keep her protected but docs think as she's getting older she may begin to become reactive to other things too, once the soya challenge is done they want to try additives.

Right now she is back to the usual lil person she normally is.. Wandering around in my heels singing a made up song about her school friends in a sweet, quiet, calm little voice so totally different from the raging she-devil from yesterday, last night and this morning ;)

Just a thought and don't take this the wrong way you look like a busy person at the mo.So do you think that maybe there is some attention seeking going on as well as an allergy problem, especially as its directed at make up and glitters maybe she wants a bit more of your time than you are able to give.

Just a thought and don't take this the wrong way you look like a busy person at the mo.So do you think that maybe there is some attention seeking going on as well as an allergy problem, especially as its directed at make up and glitters maybe she wants a bit more of your time than you are able to give.
Lol wouldn't take it the wrong way at all, I even suggested this to the docs at one of her previous appts but was assured this is deff all allergy.

It's never been make up or glitter before.
It's totally coincidence.

In the past its been food, drawing over things, stabbing things with pens/crayons, fighting, biting, kicking basicly whatever comes to hand.

Make up at my eldests was because it was only thing in the bedroom she could reach.. Eldest has learnt before on other behavioural reactions to have a clear room just incase but as her allergy had prior been so well controlled she'd gotten lax with the make up.
And as for the glitter at home, we'd had a fun morning, washed each others hair, read together, coloured together and generally had calming time together, until I began tidying the room we were in and she was colouring while I did it, still together in the same room - she needs the closeness when she's reacting but usually a very confident child - she does need watching constantly until her system is clear again as she is very unpredictable and this used to take up to 5 days when she was smaller tho usually only a day, she is always worn out when coming through the other side and sleeps like a beast and is just drained physically and emotionally.

Latest posts

Back