very old lady booked in for nail clipping!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nik,
My ols gals that i go to see once a month some of the like & cut & a file & some like cut, file & polish but never has anyone wanted the ful works lol maybe one day they will HTH:hug:

I have a few old ladies I always do a full consultation and find out what drugs they are on as we all end up on some pills late in life. I found the biggest problem is their Arthritis! one lady loves me doing her feet as she cant bend down far enough anymore (not that old and she still drives) another is 82 and has gel on her nails and so does a couple of 71 year olds.

I always ask if they are ok a few times as some complain at the end of a treatment that they cant get up for a few minutes because their legs or hips are stiff from arthritis, I have yet to experience an oldie who has a nail prob, (or a bladder one) and as mentioned by one of you, yep, I too love the stories they tell!

Do you stear clear of the exfoliating products on their hands?

Hi There,
What i would do is firstly make her a drink to her feel she can relax sit her down and do a mini consultation examining feet seeing what u feel she would benefit from and discuss this with her.
Explain the clipping to her as a shape & paint
Which for me would be nails clipped, filed, brushed and give her choice of polish of her choice or for the natural look buffed and if wanted for a longer lasting shine top coat.
For this i would charge £4 - £6 & if cuticle work is required and wanted i would add an extra £2 on the end total.
Dont panick about working on an elderly client just be gentle with her & im sure you will be fine.
Also give her a mag to read this will also help to relax her and take her mind off what you are doing. If a mag is not wanted keep chit chat flowing and cups of tea. The elderly like to talk. Even if the confo is boring try to stay interested or at least look like you are are interested in what she saying.
Hope this helps

Anna aka Tiakayla
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I suppose I was lucky because at college a lot of our models were elderly, and now I am working with the elderly cutting their toe nails. The stories they can tell really open your eyes.
Just treat them like normal clients which is what they are it is just that they have seen and done far more than us.
Do a normal consultation check for any contraindications just as you would on any paying client, if everything is ok do your normal routine but be gentle, their skin is a lot thinner because of their age, a lot of the clients we had, loved the warm wax treatments, and heated mitts, because it is soothing. If worried miss out the exfoliation all together and if massaging (which elderly people love) just do it gently. Tailor your treatment to their needs, and they will come back bringing their friends with them. Just think we are all getting older, would you not like to be pampered when in your twilight years I am sure you would, so why wouldn't the elderly of today, a nice chat while having their nails done is the highlight of their week, especially for the ones with no family. So go on Make Someones Day Special.

Joan

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice but its not quite what I am looking for. The lady in question is a friend, we talk all the time anyway and I wouldn't charge her as I am training still (never quite sure on the odd occasion anyone wants something if I should charge) and she frequently sends down cakes and potted plants anyway. She would like to try a spa manicure but I am wondering, as she's so old, fragile bones (maybe?) and thinner skin should I use the massages. I know they dont hurt but then I dont have 83 year old bones, also as her skin is so fine can she have the exfoliating products or should I just use the lotions instead?

can I just ask why can you not cut a diabetic's nails - I'm curious...

pennijar said:
I suppose I was lucky because at college a lot of our models were elderly, and now I am working with the elderly cutting their toe nails. The stories they can tell really open your eyes.
Just treat them like normal clients which is what they are it is just that they have seen and done far more than us.
Do a normal consultation check for any contraindications just as you would on any paying client, if everything is ok do your normal routine but be gentle, their skin is a lot thinner because of their age, a lot of the clients we had, loved the warm wax treatments, and heated mitts, because it is soothing. If worried miss out the exfoliation all together and if massaging (which elderly people love) just do it gently. Tailor your treatment to their needs, and they will come back bringing their friends with them. Just think we are all getting older, would you not like to be pampered when in your twilight years I am sure you would, so why wouldn't the elderly of today, a nice chat while having their nails done is the highlight of their week, especially for the ones with no family. So go on Make Someones Day Special.

Joan

Thanks for that :) I dont know why but I didn't see your post when I replied just now. I think then I'll just leave the exfoliation out.

Many thanks :hug:

bobbie said:
can I just ask why can you not cut a diabetic's nails - I'm curious...
You possibly could but would have to be careful just incase you accidently cut them...they take longer to heal than people without diabetese and get infection easier too. Their feet are the main place they have trouble with....any accidental cuts etc to them and they should get medical help immediately.

thanks for that - you learn something new every day

Latest posts

Back