Vinylux going lumpy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanned

Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing this? I dug out all my summer colours, many were bought in September and therefore they were barely used as we were going in to autumn and they have all had to be thrown.
I have also had to use a lot of we'll used bottles but still had product in the bottom that would of easily be used had it been one of my opi polishes

Im having same problem its as if they dont last long after being opened, gets lumpy and streaky when applying, im starting to think wether to use a different brand of polish due to this x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm afraid lots of techs having had this problem.. I ended up selling mine to clients at just above cost price to clear my stock x

Yes, I have had this happen too. Very disappointing.

I'm still using some of my original colours and there's no problem at all with them. Just wondering if you're salon based or mobile. Could changes in temperature be doing it?

As a regular Vinylux user, I don't appear to be having any problems so far with polishes going lumpy either.

I do make sure to work as quickly as possible though, replacing the lids as soon as practically possible.

All are stored in a cool, dark place, within a beauty case which is kept closed most of the time.

Mine are kept in a cool place inside beauty box, i try to be quick as i can when applying but some are lumpy and streaky with the first stroke of applying x

Mine are kept in a cool place inside beauty box, i try to be quick as i can when applying but some are lumpy and streaky with the first stroke of applying x

How annoying - sorry I can't be of more help x

I do exactly the same as I did with all my old polishes that I have almost replaced with vinylux
I wanted to buy the flora and fauna collection but thought it's too much of a risk incase they aren't used daily until spring although I'm sure a lot of clients would love it now!
Prehaps if they made smaller professional bottles and sold them for less we wouldn't have the problem happening so quickly

I barely use our Vinylux but when I do its fine, can't say there's any lumps x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

If you do not pull the brush out right from the bottle and get the neck of it clogged with polish it will create air gaps and your polish will dry out much quicker. You should use an upwards sprial motion to clean off the wand of the brush then clean off one side of the brush on the inside of the neck of the bottle.

Similarly if the neck of the bottle is clogged you will be contaminating your polish with bits of dried polish.

other nail polishes may not dry out as quickly this is true, but then no other nail polish drys in 8.5 minutes , we can't have it both ways ;) it's quick drying so this trait is inevitable

I stock over 100 nail polishes for retail and have never seen this happen, my polishes only go clumpy when one of the girls in the salon has borrowed it :)
arggh ! ;)

the cost of the polish is so reasonable that I never keep it once the level of the polish is below the word Vinylux in the bottle ( about half way down) I just chuck it and get a fresh one , I don't believe it's wasting the polish as I believe that every customer should receive the same level of service and you get a much better finish and long lasting result with the first half of a nail polish.

if your just starting out and know you might be a messy painter , rub a little bit of Vaseline or solar oil into the threads at the neck of the bottle and open and close the bottle a few time to transfer it to the inside threads of the lid, it will help with clogging :)

If you do not pull the brush out right from the bottle and get the neck of it clogged with polish it will create air gaps and your polish will dry out much quicker. You should use an upwards sprial motion to clean off the wand of the brush then clean off one side of the brush on the inside of the neck of the bottle.

Similarly if the neck of the bottle is clogged you will be contaminating your polish with bits of dried polish.

other nail polishes may not dry out as quickly this is true, but then no other nail polish drys in 8.5 minutes , we can't have it both ways ;) it's quick drying so this trait is inevitable

I stock over 100 nail polishes for retail and have never seen this happen, my polishes only go clumpy when one of the girls in the salon has borrowed it :)
arggh ! ;)

the cost of the polish is so reasonable that I never keep it once the level of the polish is below the word Vinylux in the bottle ( about half way down) I just chuck it and get a fresh one , I don't believe it's wasting the polish as I believe that every customer should receive the same level of service and you get a much better finish and long lasting result with the first half of a nail polish.

if your just starting out and know you might be a messy painter , rub a little bit of Vaseline or solar oil into the threads at the neck of the bottle and open and close the bottle a few time to transfer it to the inside threads of the lid, it will help with clogging :)

Great advice, i will try spiral motion maybe thats where i am going wrong x

This is kinda why I've moved on to another brand. It's nice they dry quick and all, but having barely used bottles go thick for no reason and throwing out half used bottles of top coat really isn't worth it for me. I'm paying for a full bottle of product and only realistically able to use half at most.

I agree with Chickafish. If that is the case, that we should only expect to be able to use half a bottle, then maybe they need to make smaller bottles.
In my case it has nothing to do with the way I use it, I have been polishing for more than 20 years, and none of the other bottles I use have this problem. Not even the 1 minute dry ones from the supermarket (courtesy of my daughter)

making the bottles smaller wouldn't make much difference in my opinion, I believe they would still get thick half way down, and if the bottle were too small it is going to make polishing more difficult.

I have always thrown my polish away when the bottles are half empty no matter what brand. When I started out I used to try and use every last drop but found that your polishing becomes much harder as the polish is thicker, and because the polish is thicker it takes longer to dry and you get more people coming back with smudged nails 10-15 mins after they have left asking if you can fix them which is extremely frustrating in a busy salon environment.

Look at the profit you make in the time it takes you to do the service

Polish is very cheap to buy in, you cost per service is very low.

So if you can polish nails in 20 mins and they can leave with you knowing they won't smudge 10 mins later , great

If they come back with smudged nails and you have to repair them it's going to take up another 15 to 20 mins. that's halving your profit per time spent on the treatment straight away

Surely it's clear to see its much more cost effective to keep your polishes fresh, I never have anyone come back with smudged nails , no stress for me , and clients love how quick it drys which gets me more business :)

make your life easier and replace your polishes regularly :)

I'm not the quickest at painting nor am I overly careful regarding keeping the bottle neck clean😁😁 and I've had no problems with vinylux!! If it does get a little thick I replace the lid and give it another good old shake which seems to give it a new lease of life!! I agree I dont get to the bottom of the bottle but have never done with any other brand. Love the quick dry as do my clients, love the shine as do my clients, love the durability as do my clients!!!! One of my ladies came in today and had her vinylux (tutti frutti!!) on for almost 4 weeks! They had warn in the ends and lots of regrowth but still on! Love vinylux xxx

Seriously, I have never heard of throwing polish away after half a bottle. If we are getting to the last quarter, I would expect it to be thicker but certainly not before.

Also what about the retail side? My clients cannot polish as quickly as I can and probably wont know to keep the neck of the bottle clean. The retail price is too high if you need to discard it after half it's use and don't forget they need the top coat too, which also thickens half way down. For that price they can get 5 bottles and a quick dry topcoat in the drugstore.
I think this all outweighs the positive side to Vinylux that it's dry in 8 and a half minutes. I use Lumos base and top coat with any polish and this dries pretty quickly too.

It seems to vary with people. Some people are able to just shake it and it's back to workable consistency. I tried that with Blackpool, which is a color I've only ever used once on a color pop and keep in a cool, dark drawer with my Shellac base and top, and it hardly ever sees the light of day as I don't get any requests for black polish. I gave it a good, long, hardy shake. Opened it. It was nearly fully solidified in the bottle. Really clueless why this happened and a total waste as it was hardly used. The neck was clean. The threads were clean. It was screwed on super tight and in a cool, dark drawer. That's just one of the 2 handfuls out of 62 colors I've bought this happened to.

Now you mention that, one of my bottles became thick very quickly after I bought them. Wildfire it was and when I looked into the bottleneck after opening, there was a hole where the brush had been. Solid.

My salon carries about 50-60 bottles on Vinylux, and at least 1/4 of them are all gross and lumpy. All necks, threads etc are clean and tightly screwed on...it's pretty sad.

Latest posts

Back