Vinylux-tips please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimid

Reaction score
Hi there i wonder could someone advice please!! Ive just got some vinylux today and tried tropix on myself but it seems v streaky/see through even at 3 coats....when i do top coat the brush is leaving marks but thought colour would be dry......any tips welcome!!! :)

I found it took me a while to get to grips with it. But after a little practice it a dream to use. You need to scrubfresh the nail first. Then really load your brush, so that you almost have a drip at the end. Paint the nail fast. Then repeat again for second colour coat. You must float all the coats including the topcoat. Be gentle not to pull the colour and topcoat down but float it on. Be generous with the topcoat. Its all practice :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi there i wonder could someone advice please!! Ive just got some vinylux today and tried tropix on myself but it seems v streaky/see through even at 3 coats....when i do top coat the brush is leaving marks but thought colour would be dry......any tips welcome!!! :)

I struggle with Vinylux too, all the things you mentioned were the things that were happening to me....I got frustrated and put it away and have not touched it - maybe I should try again...,persevere x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

You need to 'float' the brush. Don't drag it. The brush shouldn't really bend. That's how I get the perfect Vinylux with just 2 coats. Every now and then some need 3 if its a less than perfect toenail x

So if you really load the brush, is it possible to apply the vinylux too thick?

Yes you can use too much polish also. It should be like a little ball. I really struggled with some colours like tropix I was considering giving up and going with another line!!!

A friend showed me how to do it and I'm fine now! Like others have said it needs to be loaded with polish on both layers. It's very different to shellac as the1st coat isn't thin to win. Work quickly, lightly and don't go back over it too many times. The Top coat is really forgiving but you have to be generous with it and really float it across.

I agree with above - some colours need to be applied thicker than others.
However, I had a spare bottle of Tropix and when I went to use it, I couldn't believe how much it had 'settled'.
I shook it for ages to get it mixed properly. It's worth rotating / turning your spare bottles every now & then.

You just need to practice over and over (on the same nail if you have to!) til you get the hang if it. It is slightly different to other polishes because it dries pretty quick. I load the brush fully and wipe off excess only on one side, and sometimes swipe a third of the loaded side so there's a good bit of polish at the tip of the brush. Then polish using light quick strokes side-side-middle- and cap so there's no unsightly streaks in the middle. If it hasn't fully dried yet by the time you get to the middle it sort of corrects itself. Plus the second coat and top coat corrects or masks certain flaws. If you don't apply heavy pressure when painting, it won't flood into the cuticles and sidewalls, not will it go on thick. You kind of have to use similar pressure as when you're applying your top coat. Remember it's not shellac! It's not as forgiving :lol:

Thanks guys!! Yes i think i was thinking it was shellac !!! I just want to get it right before i tell clients i have it!! Back to practicing so :)

So i have remove my tropix vinylux and it has stained my nails!!!! What happened?? :)

So i have remove my tropix vinylux and it has stained my nails!!!! What happened?? :)

Was your nail surface dry or damaged? Did you use Acetone?

I only see staining occasionally on a dry, damaged or porous surface. It the nail is normal I have never seen staining and VINYLUX is the only polish we now use.

If your nails are porous, dry or damaged then use IBX first to treat your nails and then polish.

Was your nail surface dry or damaged? Did you use Acetone?

I only see staining occasionally on a dry, damaged or porous surface. It the nail is normal I have never seen staining and VINYLUX is the only polish we now use.

If your nails are porous, dry or damaged then use IBX first to treat your nails and then polish.

Thanks for that geeg!! No didnt use acetone jut normal polish remover!! Here is pic!!! Ill try acetone next time altho im still just getting used to using it!! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401098774.008034.jpg

Geeg - if a client was not prepared to pay the extra for IBX or didn't have the extra few minutes would it be possible to use a base coat for just those clients with porous or dry nails?

Geeg - if a client was not prepared to pay the extra for IBX or didn't have the extra few minutes would it be possible to use a base coat for just those clients with porous or dry nails?

Geeg will advise you but im pretty sure using a basecoat is defeating the object of the Vinylux system. The basecoat is built into the polish and if you change the system you wouldn't get the long lasting hard wearing colour that you should get. You might as well use a regular polish

Geeg will advise you but im pretty sure using a basecoat is defeating the object of the Vinylux system. The basecoat is built into the polish and if you change the system you wouldn't get the long lasting hard wearing colour that you should get. You might as well use a regular polish

Hope no one minds this suggestion- Geeg may advise you differently but:
You could use a sheer colour as a base layer someone reccomended I use lavishly loved under the dark colours. I tried it and it Helps a great deal with the potential staining issue.

Hope no one minds this suggestion- Geeg may advise you differently but:
You could use a sheer colour as a base layer someone reccomended I use lavishly loved under the dark colours. I tried it and it Helps a great deal with the potential staining issue.

Well done Helen and Hazeleyes. ... Both answers spot on! :Love:

Thank you ladies x

Latest posts

Back