Virgin hair and red violet Wella?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura Giles

Reaction score
I have now had three customers complaining about their virgin hair not looking as vibrant as the rest of the hair (that was previously prelightened, not by me) and one client that had a full head with virgin hair. And I do agree. Do i really have to prelighten the hair to get the full vibrancy and make the pigments stuck or is there any color out there? I am actually even willing to change brand myself within the salon (I rent a chair but they want us to keep to Wella) just to avoid future complaints. And I have more and more clients refusing prebleaching.

Tint will always appear a different colour on the bleached areas so you need to either pre-bleach the virgin hair or apply a different formula to the roots if you want the hair to look evenly coloured.

What sort of tone are you looking for?
Goldwell Elumen is great on virgin hair but you need to buy direct from a rep as it’s not sold in the wholesalers.

Also, red colour pigment always fade fastest.
Why not retail a coloured conditioner that they can use to top up the colour inbetween appointments?
You could try Revlon Nutrition Color crime in Fire Red. You can buy it from most wholesalers.

Schwarzkopf have the L series L-89 is the red violet that is for very dark hair (I have used it on dyed dark hair and it does lift nicely). I would do all of it but id certainly pick out some areas and put it on and you could always re glaze after if necessary? Only thing with the lifting and toning or prelightening is especially in summer they could fade blonder. Also make sure they are using a professional colour safe shampoo. Xx

I wouldn’t do all of it I mean (the ends)

This is why it is better to invest a bit more in your chemicals. I don't know about chem pricing where your living but I find that Wella color is 1 of the lowest costing lines out there. Schools tend to use Wella colors a lot due to it's lower cost so most colorists are trained on Wella & are unsure about making the switch later on in the real world.The strongest pigmented reds/violets I have found are Redkens Color Fusion Permanent colors. I'm also a fan of adding intensifiers of pure pigments to my formulations of the primary colors RYB. Dikson makes " Full Color" pure pigment drops.
fullcolor_large.jpg
They come in handy to spike up the vibrancy of any ammonia based color formulation & are awesome mixed with a little H20 then applied to bleached hair that is orangy from old color removal on the bottom & blond regrowth on the top to even out the base for reds. Just apply it to dry uneven bleached hair & blow dry in to get a strong even red base Then apply target red toned color for red long lasting colors/shades.

Latest posts

Back