Vista Print v's Moon Fruit websites

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylieb

Reaction score
I'd like to hear opinions from anyone that has tried both.
I currently have the pro package with Vista Print for my beauty business.
I am going into hair extensions and want to set up a complete new website just for this.
I have seen some lovely Mooonfruit sites and it appears you can do a lot more with them? but the only thing that annoys me is that they take soooo long to load!!

What did you find to be the better website and why?

Thank you

Kylie -x-

Moonfruit's slow loading is probably down to them being based on Flash.

Vistaprint's sites are HTML based, but generally a lot more expensive than Moonfruit (where there is a free option I think).

Another option is Weebly - which is probably worth a look - as Weebly sites are HTML based rather than Flash based (so quicker to load and compatible with a wider range of devices, including most smartphones) - and their free option gives you quite a lot too.

Good evening : )

My mum does my website,initially we tried a vista one, but was way too complicated, you pay for the more you put on it etc, then we found ,moonfruit,and its fab!! Ive even learnt how to update it,and im not p.c wiz!

Oh, 1 tip,and its going to sound really daft! but please,please choose a really unusual password! I had a really silly one,and some idiot ( i do know who she is,and yes, she is on here!!) hacked into it,and wiped it off completely! My poor mum spent literally around 80 hours all in all, setting it up,and shes had to start it all up again from scratch!
but its well worth the hassle, i get ssoooo much business from it!
Good luck : )
Kate xx

Moonfruit's slow loading is probably down to them being based on Flash.

Vistaprint's sites are HTML based, but generally a lot more expensive than Moonfruit (where there is a free option I think).

Another option is Weebly - which is probably worth a look - as Weebly sites are HTML based rather than Flash based (so quicker to load and compatible with a wider range of devices, including most smartphones) - and their free option gives you quite a lot too.

Thank you Ruth. Just signed up to weebly to give it a go :)

Good evening : )

My mum does my website,initially we tried a vista one, but was way too complicated, you pay for the more you put on it etc, then we found ,moonfruit,and its fab!! Ive even learnt how to update it,and im not p.c wiz!

Oh, 1 tip,and its going to sound really daft! but please,please choose a really unusual password! I had a really silly one,and some idiot ( i do know who she is,and yes, she is on here!!) hacked into it,and wiped it off completely! My poor mum spent literally around 80 hours all in all, setting it up,and shes had to start it all up again from scratch!
but its well worth the hassle, i get ssoooo much business from it!
Good luck : )
Kate xx

Hi Kate thank you for your reply. Which package did you buy on Moonfruit?
OMG :evil: you must have been fuming hun! Jealousy is a nasty thing!! I'm sure Ruth put a link on here so that you could back your website up. I'm sure she wouldnt mind giving it to you. Just incase!!
xx

Hi, Sorry to sound mean, but there is really no excuse for losing all your data. If nothing else, everyone knows how feeble some of the microsoft products are with pc crashes etc.

The e-world motto must be "back-up, "back-up, "back-up"!

The most you should be losing is a few recent modification.

If you're using electronic booking systems too, I know it's a pain, but you really need to instigate a daily or weekly backing up regime. It can be done automatically with a small programme, set to run say, at midnight every day, just remember to put a new stick in, or dvd each day/week, and your data will be safe.

Ideally, you should take the copy home with you, in-case of the worst (fire or theft at salon). The lifeblood of a salon in the client base.

Good tip about the passwords, too!

Good luck

I have just done a website with weebly.com...i found it easy as i am no computer geek!!
welcome to have a look... zonenailsandbeauty.com
let me no what you think.

Hi, Sorry to sound mean, but there is really no excuse for losing all your data. If nothing else, everyone knows how feeble some of the microsoft products are with pc crashes etc.

If you're using electronic booking systems too, I know it's a pain, but you really need to instigate a daily or weekly backing up regime. It can be done automatically with a small programme, set to run say, at midnight every day, just remember to put a new stick in, or dvd each day/week, and your data will be safe.

Ideally, you should take the copy home with you, in-case of the worst (fire or theft at salon). The lifeblood of a salon in the client base.

Good luck

Is it possible to back up and save your drafting from Weebly then?
I know you can save stuff like word documents and powerpoint stuff on those stick things but websites as well?
I had no idea about this... and wouldn't have done had I just not read this.

So I take it I just (excuse my technological phrases) plonk the stick in one of the USB holes in my pc and their is a disk sign somewhere on the site or a 'save' which is meant to save what I have created so far?

Good luck

Like you say, an automated back-up regime is definitely the best option - even more so if your provider does this as standard ;)

Hi Kate thank you for your reply. Which package did you buy on Moonfruit?
OMG :evil: you must have been fuming hun! Jealousy is a nasty thing!! I'm sure Ruth put a link on here so that you could back your website up. I'm sure she wouldnt mind giving it to you. Just incase!!
xx

Hi,
I think its £6/ £6.99 a month?
I get so much business from my site,and really noticed a diffence when it was ransacked!
I was fuming,but like you said, its jealousy,and just kept telling myself i must be doing really well for myself for someone to go to those lengths : )
xx

Hi,
I think its £6/ £6.99 a month?
I get so much business from my site,and really noticed a diffence when it was ransacked!
I was fuming,but like you said, its jealousy,and just kept telling myself i must be doing really well for myself for someone to go to those lengths : )
xx

I think Vistaprint's around that figure (if not even more for some of their more expensive packages that give more features); didn't think that Moonfruit was as expensive as that though.

Hi I. Use www.webs.com its free and really easy to use and fast. I have four webs sites set up with them all free. You can always go to premium and pay if you want more or get rid of ads. I have been with them for three years now. Take a look at mine see what you think. Www.essentialtherapy.webs.com also to keep it free I use gmail for my email. Hope this helps xx

Sent from my Archos5 using SalonGeek

your website is very informative and I like the fact that there is just 'webs' extra in the web address which sounds ok.

I am doing my pc laptop one in moonfruit, and a different one in basic html for iphone/ipads and mobile phones. I am thinking mobile phone friendly sites are the way to go - but I may be wrong!

xx

your website is very informative and I like the fact that there is just 'webs' extra in the web address which sounds ok.

I am doing my pc laptop one in moonfruit, and a different one in basic html for iphone/ipads and mobile phones. I am thinking mobile phone friendly sites are the way to go - but I may be wrong!

xx

Mobile phone friendly is certainly advisable - that is another area where Flash-based sites tend to lose out; Apple in particular seems to hate Flash with a vengeance - so if your website is Flash-based, then don't expect anyone using an Apple product to be able to view it at its best...

Latest posts

Back