VTCT Level 2 - Manicure & Pedicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novice

Reaction score
I did a Total Technician plus course with United Beauty at the end of last year, and have been practising on friends & family ever since.
The course consisted of manicure, pedicure, nail art and acrylic enhancements.
However I am looking at starting out full time at the end of the year, and was wondering if it's worth signing up to do the VTCT course at college in order to learn more.
They are doing this as a 17 week evening course and then possibly doing the level 2 course couse in nail extensions. Each course is £170 and then you have to buy the college uniform and kits.
Do you think I would benefit by doing them.

Thanks
Lisa

I did the VTCT mani/pedi course after doing my nail extension course and a 2 day mani/pedi course.

The VTCT improved my routine and my confidence no end! It was a very thorough course in terms of health and safety and included massage routines. There are plenty of practical assessments and opportunities to practice. we also got to practice on paying members of public.

I would definitely recommend you do the course - it was well worth the money.

I've just completed my VTCT Nail Treatments course and cannot recommend it highly enough. I don't think any course could possible go in to as much detail with regards to health and safety and things like contra-indications etc. A good sound knowledge in this is pretty essential in my opinion now I've done it! It's great to always have someone on hand to help you and I felt I'd really not be confident enough to be a nail tech but the course also gives you confidence in yourself which is a great thing. It taught me that clients are not all scary monsters poised to rip you to shreads as I once imagined!

I don't know if it would apply or be relevant to you but my college offered a significant discount on fees if it was your first level 2 or level 3 qualification. It brought my fee down to a mere £55 and I also got a little help towards other costs such as my kit and uniform due to the fact that I was a single mum on a low income. Me and my fellow students also found that we saved alot of money on our kit by getting our kit list and instead of buying it all as one we bought individual items from the same brand on ebay. Now is a great time for that because last yrs students are selling off their kits to finance more study (like me!). Even at full price though I would say it is well worth it.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

I did VTCT mani and pedi and I also did VTCT acylics and gels and would recommend it. I had a good tutors for all my courses.

Hi, Ive just completed my vtct nvq level 2 in nail service, manicure, pedicure, nail art and fibreglass enhancements, I personally didn't feel i learnt enough from it, i have learnt most of the things i know from on this site or nail books, im looking into doing a private course maybe with cnd to gain more confidence. In the course i was on they werent really interested in teaching you, ive never got shown how to do an infill then just got told i had to do one for an assessment, i had to find the information from books and learn how to do it myself, also in your exams you have to get 100% to pass if you dont they ask you the questions verbally, well i never got asked any of these questions and just got marked off as if i had done them and because the groups were so large we had 20 students in ours they only came round once to check our assessments and then marked us off, i personally dont feel ready to go and even a manicure and pedicure on a paying customer, we werent even shown how to apply enamel correctly.

Thanks for replying.
I think I will sign up to do the course as most of you say it has improved your confidence and knowledge.
With regards to saving on the fees, when I queried this at the college as this will be my first NVQ level 2, they asked me how many GCSE's I had. I told them it is 22 years since I left school, so does it matter. They said yes - so being honest I told them 11 and they said I didn't qualify as that was too many!!!!
Is this true - anyone any idea what the rules are???

Lisa

I think the rule is something like anyone who doesn't have 5 GCSEs at grade C or above will qualify for one free NVQ level 2 or equivalent.

Most tech's who do this (me included) go on to do product training with their chosen brand,often you will find private tuition to be far more in depth and accurate. Imo it also works out cheaper in the long run as you'll end up doing it anyway :wink2:

They are many companies out there,do some reasearch hun. I personally chose CND (Sweet Squared) who have won numerous awards for eduction and product,and that was the best thing i could have ever done for my career.

Best of luck hun

Thanks for replying.
I think I will sign up to do the course as most of you say it has improved your confidence and knowledge.
With regards to saving on the fees, when I queried this at the college as this will be my first NVQ level 2, they asked me how many GCSE's I had. I told them it is 22 years since I left school, so does it matter. They said yes - so being honest I told them 11 and they said I didn't qualify as that was too many!!!!
Is this true - anyone any idea what the rules are???

Lisa

Yes, this is true under the train to gain funding scheme, it doesn't matter how old your qualifications are and they count equivalent qualifications too. Some colleges offer support to students in receipt of benefits even if you are working. They may also have other funding streams available such as european social fund so it is always worth asking about that just in case. Unfortunately some colleges have stopped funding for some beauty courses due to people dropping out part way through.

Last year my local college had some funding available for anyone regardless of what quals they had and it didn't matter if you were in receipt of benefits either. Not sure which courses it was made available for but it's a good idea to speak to colleges even if you have a level 2.

Hope that babble makes perfect sense!! :lol:

I did my vtct treatments and technology!! It was brilliant-loved it! The fact that you learm throughout the year gives you loads of time to practice!! Find out how many are in the class (the fewer the better) but do remenber that a few will drop out and only the dedicated ones will qualify!! I leaent with creative through college. Once you have the qualification you can convert to any system (one day conversion cource) go for it!!!:)

Latest posts

Back