Want to stop offering cheap hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_lee110788

Reaction score
I am qualified in 5 different methods of hair extensions and been doing them mobile for about a year. I am from a small quite deprived town so I never bothered trying to find a high end supplier and just settled on transforms mongolian hair, advertising it as 6a as I think its lovely hair, tried it myself and it lasted nearly a year. This was still to expensive for most people enquiring my prices so a few months ago I started offering rapunzel hair (they sell on ebay but tried it out and it wasnt as bad as other ebay hair) advertising it as 3a. It has got me a lot more customers but I am finding its the wrong types. I havent had a complaint yet but I find it attracts the type of customers who will keep messaging me to go round everytime one falls out or if they get a knott! And they dont bother booking in with maintanance. Ive been lucky so far that although these people have been a bit 'rough' they have been nice people but its just a matter of time before I get someone who is expecting good hair for £120 and ends up complaining.
I fitted a colour 613 weft last week and i just thought to myself, 'do i realy want to put my name to this hair?' There felt so much dryer than the transform mongolian and im now thinking i want to be known for fitting lovely hair rather than been cheap! The only problem is that I will get loads less customers until I get more popular. What would you do?

Yep, you'll have a transition period of months of little to no customers. It will make you feel cr*p and question many times whether you're doing the right thing. Doesn't matter if you live in a "rough" area as if you are worth your weight, then people will travel to you. Or, you could travel to them. I made the transition and it took me around 9 months or so to completely turn my clientele around and now, i earn a 5 figure sum each month. Use the best hair (however, your idea of best hair might be different to my idea of best hair and vice verser), offer all methods you can physically be trained in and do not lower your prices in hopes you will "undercut competition". It fails each time. Now, i am enjoying a 4 day working week and have the most loyal and nicest clients ever.

DM if you want more advice, id be happy to help.

I'm not a hair geek, but I'm a firm believer that you should never, ever undersell yourself.

I'm the most expensive tech in my area and I still have plenty of clients. They come to me for my expertise, the products that I use and the whole 'experience' that they get. You may find that you will end up with a few less customers to begin with - but, if you are charging correctly, you shouldn't end up with a lot less profit.

Ride it out and market like crazy.

Funny because I've been looking at rapunzel as an alternative to transform because a local girl uses it, I guess reading this will save me problems with chepos down the line. Any tips on expanding the higher end clients @Rightsaidfred ? I'm about to start marketing weaves & tapes, I want to do it well first time really save trying to turn it around later for a different target audience

Don't put your reputation on the line especially doing it for 5 years. If you wouldn't wear it don't let other people wear it. Another thing is if you can't afford the champagne you buy the prosseco.. if they are wanting this service, ask them to supply the hair and charge full price for your service maybe..

I think people who compromise on quality for price need to not get extensions hands down.

They end up replacing the hair quicker than it goes in.

Don't do "rough" people hands down they are a constant worry and don't know how to maintain and think it's a one off thing.

Funny because I've been looking at rapunzel as an alternative to transform because a local girl uses it, I guess reading this will save me problems with chepos down the line. Any tips on expanding the higher end clients @Rightsaidfred ? I'm about to start marketing weaves & tapes, I want to do it well first time really save trying to turn it around later for a different target audience

I have used rapunzel on myself and it was ok but the weft I fitted last week felt awful. It was sizzling as I straightened it, maybe it was a bad batch but its put me off using it.

Please don't fit the hair clients supply this is a recipe for disaster.....you will only get complaints and trying to explain that the hair isn't your responsibility will just irritate them! Best to stay away....and what if the hairs awful? Potential clients won't think "ohhh well she only fitted those ones" they will think "I'm not going to her that hair is vile"

Cheap attracts cheap ....get rid lovely , your too good for that x

Last edited:
I think you already know the answer to your question, it's pretty clear you aren't happy fitting substandard hair so don't. Buy the good stuff, charge correctly for it and you will get the clients coming back as soon as word gets round that your hair is lovely and lasts for ages so it's actually cheaper in the long run if it's re used. It will be worth it, for your pride in your work alone. Go for it! You can always offer the tape as a discount alternative as it's so much quicker to install so your labour charge would be lower? Good luck chick x

Sure hun send me a DM and i'll be happy to help out x

I am qualified in 5 different methods of hair extensions and been doing them mobile for about a year. I am from a small quite deprived town so I never bothered trying to find a high end supplier and just settled on transforms mongolian hair, advertising it as 6a as I think its lovely hair, tried it myself and it lasted nearly a year. This was still to expensive for most people enquiring my prices so a few months ago I started offering rapunzel hair (they sell on ebay but tried it out and it wasnt as bad as other ebay hair) advertising it as 3a. It has got me a lot more customers but I am finding its the wrong types. I havent had a complaint yet but I find it attracts the type of customers who will keep messaging me to go round everytime one falls out or if they get a knott! And they dont bother booking in with maintanance. Ive been lucky so far that although these people have been a bit 'rough' they have been nice people but its just a matter of time before I get someone who is expecting good hair for £120 and ends up complaining.
I fitted a colour 613 weft last week and i just thought to myself, 'do i realy want to put my name to this hair?' There felt so much dryer than the transform mongolian and im now thinking i want to be known for fitting lovely hair rather than been cheap! The only problem is that I will get loads less customers until I get more popular. What would you do?

Hey Hun, I would use the more premium hair but advertise like mad that you are using it..get some models and take pics, vids, boomerangs and plaster them on social media..you'll be getting more clients in no time x

Latest posts

Back