Warning! Ebay scam!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordinaildesign

Reaction score
If any other geeks use ebay please be careful of any unusual e-mails... let me tell you about my recent experience with my boyfriends account.

He recently received an e-mail from the standard ebay automated e-mail address saying that his account had been suspended due to seller inactivity. We thought this was a bit strange as we didn't remember reading that we had to have a certain amount of activity, but to investigate further required login user name and password. Once I had "logged in" it wouldn't let me click on the "more info" link. I thought it was a bit silly, but probably just standard computer behaviour :evil: .

Anyway, a few days later I got an e-mail from ebay saying that our account had been suspended because somebody had listed an item on our account, obviously without our authorisation! (don't ask me how they knew it wasn't us!)

It would seem that the first e-mail was sent by a fraudster (who has perfectly copied ebays format) who got our login name and password from it and logged in as us, changed our password and listed an item (premium listing, fee about £20) which if ebay weren't on the ball would've been charged to my credit card :Scared:

So just a little warning to be extra vigilant!!!!!!

Hi Claire
I get regular emails from Paypal too & I usually just delete, they say if I don't update my account they will suspend me (who cares). I sent a copy of one to Paypal & they said it was a fraud - a clue was please reply by February 31st on one LOL.
I don't think ebay or Paypal will cancel anyones account for lack of use. I was advised always to open a new window & not click on the link in the email.
Scarey stuff though, glad you got it sorted...
Karen S.

I have also had really strange emails that are supposed to be from Ebay. I had one saying that to avoid any fraud I must re-enter all of my account details again and to click a seperate link within the email. Luckily my sister had already looked into this (as she got the same email as me) and was told by Ebay that this email had not come from them and they sorted everything out for her. I have since had another email requesting that I must verify all my details again but I haven't had chance to look into this yet, although again it looks very suspicious saying that someone else has used my identity to make purchases. I have not replied to this email, and will not go on to the seperate link within the email. I have logged in to ebay directly without going through this email and my account looks fine without anything being purchased without my knowledge.

I really must sit down this afternoon and report this to Ebay, its actually quite frightening that someone is doing this!!!

Sue

hi

i recieve loads of fraudulent emails from ebay and paypal and you can report them. ebay has a system that has not been going for to long whare they send messages to you via your ebay account so they are waiting for you when you log on to ebay instead of in your email folder, this is a secure system and no member can send internal emails to each other through this so these are the only messages i read, when i was a seller on ebay i had one lady that seemed to be bidding on a lot of stuff so i emailed her and it turns out it was someone else whom had got hold of her details

thats scared me now, a few weeks ago paypal said i had to change my password, so i did. do you think it was a con or is that normal. :Scared:

Hi everybody,

My boyfriend received one of these fraud emails before and the way you can tell if they are fraud is by looking at the address line at the top of the page, if "ebay" comes up with another company name in the middle of the address line somewhere with ebay on the end it is a fraud, do not click on it at all!!! Ebay does not need to confirm any details at all, if so they will send you a mail to your messages box in your account.

These emial work like this, they will ask if they can confirm you personal details being your log in name and password. On their side they have a machine that automatically records this information once you have entered it, in seconds, once you've done this it asks you to confirm payments details as well and then records those, once they have all of this they of course go on a shopping spree.

Hope I haven't confused you at all, if you don't understand and want to know in computer jargon I can ask my b/f to kindly translate my waffle!!! :)

Hope this helps everybody!!!

I'm always getting e-mails from them luckly i don't reply but i have heard a few people (a friend of a friend) who have said they have fallen for scams.

grrr got the same 'suspended account' email today. Looked real enough but I deleted it anyway & logged on to ebay. Surprise, surprise, no mention of any problems on account info. I am always getting emails claiming to be from ebay or paypal, luckily I realise what they are but I easily can see how many people are caught out by them. The main thing is to never click on a link in an email. If unsure, type in ebay's address & check it out on your account but always check that it is secure when you put in your details. (there is a little locked padlock in the bottom right-hand corner of the window.) If they access your account & it isn't picked up it can be very difficult to sort out any money they spent on your account. Don't forget that paypal have your credit card details stored too. Hope nobody on here has been caught out by it. I have just been on & changed my passwords again anyway to update my security & will be doing so regularly, better safe than sorry.

Hi

I am a regular ebayer, adict almost! lol
I advise people to try the ebay tool bar, it will tell you when your auctions are about to end and when your out-bid on an item. The best feature of this nifty thing is the securty feature. It stores your ebay and paypal passwords and recognises if you use them on any other site and warns you.
So for example; you did click on the links on the dodgy "ebay" email it will notify you that this is not an official ebay site and gives you the opportunity to report the site.

Hope this helps

All this fraud stuff is going round quite a bit, e-bay, paypal, banks ijust delete it all, if its anything i'm worried about i just go into my accounts via the usual way and not through e-mails, better safe than sorry!!!

Latest posts

Back