Water heater advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellandko

Reaction score
Hi any help would be amazing! I’m setting up my own little one man band shop I’m mainly a colourist and I need help with how to get how water! My options are install a instand water thing that has to run off the fuse box or install a 30L over sink one that can run off the electrics already there? Does anyone have over/under sink tank system that knows how long it takes to run out of hot water?
Any help will be amazing thanks

I’ve just bought and had fitted and under sink electric one that heats as you use like a shower, it is an ariston, £71 reduced from £89 in b and q,

I'm not a hairdresser so I'm afraid I can't comment too specifically. However 30L is 3 buckets. It depends on flow. Try turning on a tap/spray to how you would normally set it and timing how long it takes to fill a 1 ltr container. This will give you a flow rate. For showers you need a minimum of 6L a minute. I dont know if hair needs the same amount.

You can also have water saving devices which I think mix in a bit of air to reduce your consumption of water.

I have an 8ltr tank I think which is supposed to be instant but it isn't. We routinely run out of hot water just washing up client mugs and a few manicure tools. It was newly installed and I have a water softener so this isn't a maintenance or wear issue.

My brother has a company instilling infrared heaters including water heaters for hairdressers. He has to arrange installation because he hadn't had very good results just selling the gear with instructions. I've installed his heaters and I've seen a reduction in my energy consumption over the last 18 months after 2 harsh winters, so I'm very pleased.

I’ve just bought and had fitted and under sink electric one that heats as you use like a shower, it is an ariston, £71 reduced from £89 in b and q,
Did this have to be wired up using 10 mil cable to the main fuse box? How much hair washing have you been doing using this? Thank you!!

I'm not a hairdresser so I'm afraid I can't comment too specifically. However 30L is 3 buckets. It depends on flow. Try turning on a tap/spray to how you would normally set it and timing how long it takes to fill a 1 ltr container. This will give you a flow rate. For showers you need a minimum of 6L a minute. I dont know if hair needs the same amount.

You can also have water saving devices which I think mix in a bit of air to reduce your consumption of water.

I have an 8ltr tank I think which is supposed to be instant but it isn't. We routinely run out of hot water just washing up client mugs and a few manicure tools. It was newly installed and I have a water softener so this isn't a maintenance or wear issue.

My brother has a company instilling infrared heaters including water heaters for hairdressers. He has to arrange installation because he hadn't had very good results just selling the gear with instructions. I've installed his heaters and I've seen a reduction in my energy consumption over the last 18 months after 2 harsh winters, so I'm very pleased.
Thanks for your reply! That’s 30L of hot water though right? So ideally mixed with cold I should get more then 30L till the tanks empty depending on flow rate and how much hot to cold it being let out?

Yes - we don't wash up in neat hot water either. For us hand hot is 2 parts cold to one part hot, so 8L hot tank is up to 24 litres of hand hot water - so about 3 - 5 mins running time, depending on how fast the tap is running.

when I first opened I had a 30l water heater on and found when rinsing off a single process colour it would last for the whole removal, shampoo and treatment. but if it was a blonde and tone it would start to run alot cooler on the final rinse.

if you're going to be a lone worker then I think it might be just about right for you. But if you're going to employ someone you're going to have to upgrade your system to ensure you have enough water. I upgraded to a aquaflow power master 180 and find it's well worth the investment.

Latest posts

Back