Waxing and winter skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
There seems to be a few threads that have had problems with waxing lately.Remember skin at this time is often extremely dry due to harsh weather and central heating.People will often get lazy with their skincare in winter and stop moisturising and exfoliating.

They also come in from the cold for their treatments so your wax is going to set quite quickly on their skin.All these things can potentially cause skin to bruise and graze.

If they are cold and skin is dry work in smaller patches,remember your barrier especially oil,use a heated under blanket,wax warmer areas first ie underarms,bikini before going on to legs and faces.

Last edited:
Great advice x

I have had a couple of challenges with winter skin & facial waxing but what would you suggest if people have been out in the cold walking to your salon & are only in for a lp wax? Do you chat until there skin has acclimatised or what? S x:confused:

I have had a couple of challenges with winter skin & facial waxing but what would you suggest if people have been out in the cold walking to your salon & are only in for a lp wax? Do you chat until there skin has acclimatised or what? S x:confused:

Use oil and get the wax on and off as quick as you can.

It can also depend on the product ... Some can for want of a better word dry out on the skin when cold so don't stick to the strips. Others suffer a lot less from this.

In addition to the above work in a slightly smaller area so it doesn't cool down as much.

hi when you say use oil do you use this for all waxing treatments, i'm only asking i was never trained to use oil and have heard people mention this quite regular, i was taught to just use pre wax cleanser and then after wax solution and what oil do you use thanks:confused:

Me too albarn, i use the strip waxing method and was never taught to use oil. Any advice on which oil/how to use during the treatment? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I use clean and easy prep oil but most companies now have their own pre wax oil.There is lots of info on here about using oil before waxing so have a search.
In a nutshell a small amount of oil put on the skin before a treatment stops the wax from sticking to the skin only to the hair.
It really is the tiniest amount but it makes all the difference.
You can also use talc and I do more in the summer if someone is sweating under the wax but generally oil is better.

thank you very much for the advice.

Thanks for the advice, I am the same as some of the other geeks, in that when I trained we never used oil so I will look into that. I have also never had oil used on me if I ever went somewhere to get waxed.

S x

I hadn't ever been trained to use oil either but that's brilliant advice I'll definitely be getting some.x

Could I just ask a quick question,is this oil only to be used with hard wax or can it be used with strip wax?thanks x

You can use the oil under strip and non-strip wax. The procedure is:

Cleanse
Oil (Small amount)
Wax
Oil (Generous amount)
Cleanse
Afterwax product

You use a generous amount afterwards and massage it in slightly and then remove with cleanser as this will also remove any wax residue on the skin so the client doesn't stick to stuff.

Excellent thank you x

I use jasmine oil under my strip and not strip wax it is great,also for removing any remaining stickiness after the wax before after wax lotion.wouldnt be without it :)

You can use the oil under strip and non-strip wax. The procedure is:

Cleanse
Oil (Small amount)
Wax
Oil (Generous amount)
Cleanse
Afterwax product

You use a generous amount afterwards and massage it in slightly and then remove with cleanser as this will also remove any wax residue on the skin so the client doesn't stick to stuff.

Which cleanse is best? X

Would you recommend Perron rigot blue epilation lotion for cleansing the skin? I use the jasmine oil before and the refreshing gel afterwards.

Would you recommend Perron rigot blue epilation lotion for cleansing the skin? I use the jasmine oil before and the refreshing gel afterwards.

You may as well stick to the whole system.All pre waxes are basically alcohol In various strengths and added this and that but its the alcohol that sanitises.

One last question, where do you buy the Jasmine oil? S x

I'm actually a nail geek but just saw this and had to comment - been getting waxed regularly for 15 years and I had just got used to the pain! I recently moved house and found a new wax salon which my neighbour has recommended - anyway the salon boasted the least painful wax i will ever have etc.

She used oil in the way described and I couldn't believe the pain difference!!! It was so much less and I had got quite used to the pain previously! I couldn't believe it - the pain was for a nano second and felt more like a nip! The after effect was great too instantly!

Latest posts

Back