Waxing & Ingrowing hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prionace

Akzentz Geek
Reaction score
A very good friend of mine which is also a client did her fist waxing with me about 3 weeks ago, she has abundant hair, specially on the bikini line. The first time she had quite a lot of ingrowing hairs, she said she usually uses a razor, so i told her that with regular waxing and by exfoliating at home this would improve, and i also gave her Folisan to help prevent infection of the ingrown hair.
This last visit (the day before she goes to Brazil) she comes back still with loads of ingrown hair, she confessed not to have exfoliated once since her last visit.
The thing is, i know i'm not to blame as wax do not adhere to hair gowing under the skin surface, but i just couldn't let her leave looking like that, so i wasted a huge amount of time with the tezzers....

Question is: What do you do when clients come in with ingrown hairs that the wax does not eliminate?
Tezzer those suckers out to the last one?
Or explain that they have to exfoliate regulary, and if they do the next time they will have a better result?

I would advise they exfoliate regularly, and moisturise daily so that the skin is supple. As professionals we know that homecare is paramount to results, you need to be firmer with your client and reinforce this. maybe give her printed aftercare too which reinforces this, she'll have to take notice sooner or later!:)

I am going to say that the ingrown hairs must not bother her any otherwise she knows how to take care of them by your professional advice given.

I am not a skin geek but being in the this industry long enough to pretty much deal with all the kinds of personalities...

Sometimes all we can do is to give the correct advice and if they chose not to follow thru, walk away from it. There is nothing more than you can do. You are not their mother..

Continuously remind her~ but do help her out and not charging for it?
No way! You are not doing her any favors really. She will become dependant on you doing it for her. :wink2:
Ask her next time if she wants you to tweeze them out, if she says yes, tell her what the cost will be. Maybe hitting her in the pocket book will smarten her up to taking home care a bit more serious.

You are right, tezzing takes forever, and if i was to charge that separatly it would almost double the charge... either way i think she will get it, either she leaves with hair, or pays a massive bill, either way unpleasant...

you have to be firmer about after care. If i was you i wouldnt poke around with all the ingrowing hairs, i only get them if they are at the surface as breaking the skins surface can cause scarring, which she will blame you for and you should not encourage the client to pick - lead by example!!
(also litigation - i found out that removing a splinter from someone whilst in a professional capacity can be classed as assault in England!!mad!!)
your after care advice is spot on - i find with my clients if i tell them to use those balls that are like sponge but are made of mesh (not sure of their name) whilst washing i get positive results as they wash with them anyway it envolves little extra effort for them

If all else fails try hot wax, which when applied sets and you flick it off; old fashioned i know but really decreases the problem of problematic ingrowing hairs!!

hope thats helpful!!

I always suffer from ingrown hairs and the beautician I used to go to for waxing would always remove about 3 or 4 of them after waxing cause that is about all I would have. But I was glad that they got them and if they didn't I would get them myself!

you have to be extremly careful with removing ingrowing hairs - at college it was a complete no no, and to be honest unless your clients requests it and you explain the possible consequences then i would personally avoid doing it.

becki x

i suffer terribly with ingrown hairs.

i have my bikini line waxed regularly (every 6 weeks or so - altho needs doing much sooner) and have done for the last 3 or 4 years. I can honestly say it hasn't made any difference to my ingrown hairs. I always find myself sitting there a week later having to tweeze out hairs that are curling back on themselves. Last week I went for my waxing and my beautician had to squeeze a spot that had a really deep ingrown hair in it that i'd had for about a month.

I can't really exfoliate as it's painful and I'm quite sensitive to using soaps etc in that area.

It happens with my legs as well and although I'm not a skin geek I'm sure it's because I have thick, fast growing hair, that I'm always going to get them :sad:

Latest posts

Back