Ways into the hair industry if you're 30?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDiva

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I really need some advice I'm 30 and have already started a small business on social media selling human remy weft hair extensions (weave). I used to do hair on the side for friends and family but I've never tried to call myself a stylist. I would like to get my NVQ level 2 hairdressing at least but I'm not sure what's best in regards to college, apprenticeships, fast track courses even hair extensions course so I could start to install my extensions and take clients. I have basic afro hair care skills (cornrows, relaxers treatment's wash&blow dry etc) but would like to Lean to look after European hair too along with cutting and styling.

I had a saks apprenticeship I started in August 15 but the woman said Im not in to hair and let me go but this is not the case. I feel that the chances getting an apprenticeship at my age are very slim. I was thinking of taking a hair extensions course as a way of gaining insurance so i could work and save to pay for my NVQ but this can also be tricky I'm reading I'm already registered self employed and in not making millions so funding is an issue has any advice please
anyone started training late as a novice?
Can anyone recommend a training provider?

IMO there is no such thing as FAST TRACK......
It's a real shame it didn't work for you with SAKS...
My experience with SAKS as the training provider for my apprentice, has been second to none :D.

IMO there is no such thing as FAST TRACK......
It's a real shame it didn't work for you with SAKS...
My experience with SAKS as the training provider for my apprentice, has been second to none :D.
I know this is why I'm kind if lost now Im looking at college for 2016 but most don't start till September at least that way no one can take it away

There's nothing wrong with fast track for mature students. It will enable you to learn the basic theory, gain a qualification and obtain insurance.

Realistically, you do need at least 2000 hours practice before you're likely to feel vaguely confident cutting or colouring hair.

Just try and get started somewhere and keep moving towards your goal. :)

To add: I tried a different hairdressing training centre initially but found one of the teachers very bitchy and unprofessional so I went to college instead.
They were not getting my fees!

To add: I tried a different hairdressing training centre initially but found one of the teachers very bitchy and unprofessional so I went to college instead.
They were not getting my fees!
This is what I'm thinking to do I've been offered the space to practice and learn at a friends salon till next year and there's a course in march I sell human hair so I still have that until September if needs be what do you guys think about hair extensions courses I was thinking to try in the mean time. I'm eager to get started lol

I'm 36 and done hairdressing for about 18mths when I was 17..I never completed my course .. Left to work in the city for the next 10 years then had children and was a stay at home mum for another 8 years! . I've always known a few basic cuts and a little knowledge about colour but thought it's the perfect job to do around having children.
I booked myself onto a college course 1 full day a week, and asked my local salon if I could volunteer 2 days a week to help me along with my training I watch lots of tutorials and friends and family let me cut and colour their hair. I practiced alot on manakins. I was doing something almost every day! The course was 12 months and I completed it in 6 months! The course was really good but a lot my knowledge was through the Internet watching and reading up about colour then practicing!
It can be done fast track but it means putting in a lot of time reading watching& practicing.
I done my training at the London hair apprentice acadamy (LHAA)
Good luck with your course[emoji106]

I don't understand what happened to the SAks apprenticeship? Was it August 2015? Why did she say you weren't into hair? Sorry for all the questions I'm confused

I don't understand what happened to the SAks apprenticeship? Was it August 2015? Why did she say you weren't into hair? Sorry for all the questions I'm confused

Yes I started August this year and she let me go out of the blue in October she said Im not that interested in hair and she thinks I should find something else when I asked what I did she didn't even answer me! I called saks and they wanted me to find another place with them but I'm not sure I think college would be a better bet or like you did training and voluntary at a salon I've looked at a few places plus west thames college dose a part time course in BOTH hair types for march i have options just dont know whats best

Yes I started August this year and she let me go out of the blue in October she said Im not that interested in hair and she thinks I should find something else when I asked what I did she didn't even answer me! I called saks and they wanted me to find another place with them but I'm not sure I think college would be a better bet or like you did training and voluntary at a salon I've looked at a few places plus west thames college dose a part time course in BOTH hair types for march i have options just dont know whats best
Maybe you were a bit less enthusiastic than she had hoped? I'd definatley try to find out what the issue was so in future you can work on it, on the other hand she could just have been a dodgy host & wanted rid of u before you got a proper chance. I did ok with college & working in salon at the same time, it gives you the best of both worlds then & you won't get shut off by the ignorant people in this industry who have no time for college graduates (there are a lot) with the salon experience to back up your qualification you'll walk right into a job hopefully or even be able to go mobile :)

Hi everyone
I really need some advice I'm 30 and have already started a small business on social media selling human remy weft hair extensions (weave). I used to do hair on the side for friends and family but I've never tried to call myself a stylist. I would like to get my NVQ level 2 hairdressing at least but I'm not sure what's best in regards to college, apprenticeships, fast track courses even hair extensions course so I could start to install my extensions and take clients. I have basic afro hair care skills (cornrows, relaxers treatment's wash&blow dry etc) but would like to Lean to look after European hair too along with cutting and styling.

I had a saks apprenticeship I started in August 15 but the woman said Im not in to hair and let me go but this is not the case. I feel that the chances getting an apprenticeship at my age are very slim. I was thinking of taking a hair extensions course as a way of gaining insurance so i could work and save to pay for my NVQ but this can also be tricky I'm reading I'm already registered self employed and in not making millions so funding is an issue has any advice please
anyone started training late as a novice?
Can anyone recommend a training provider?
I started my training at 26, I did an apprenticeship.
A few companies wouldn't take me on though due to my age (no funding for apprentices after a certain age).
It was the salons Diploma which was NVQ equivalent (I was too old to do the NVQ level 2)
If you manage to get an apprenticeship I do think it's beneficial BUT financially it's tough (I had to pay them £400 a month for my training taken straight out of my wages which was minimum wage)
Being an apprentice is hard work so you have to stay focused on your end goal.

I've not tried them but Capital do 1day hair courses some for around £100 maybe try them to get a taster? less money upfront but still getting some knowledge...

Good luck!

I did my courses at west Thames college. This yr they have introduced the afro side of hairdressing this is optional.where in London are you.?

Also just to add west Thames college hairdressing courses are now vrq its only the apprentice course that is nvq. I did mine while it was still nvq.

I did my courses at west Thames college. This yr they have introduced the afro side of hairdressing this is optional.where in London are you.?

I have been looking at this same course it starts in march I applied and they said the would contact me nearer to the time but how did you find the course?

I work with someone above the apprenticeship age.
She works three days on minimum wage and two days voluntary.
She is just like any of the other trainees and will go on to do her vardering too.
I work for Toni & Guy

I did the knowledge course at Saks which was 1 night a week for 66 weeks. It gave me and NVQ level 2 in hairdressing. I still really don't feel confident but it was definitely a start to getting me in the industry! The course was £4000 but I paid it off monthly.

I dont understand I went back and retook my level 2 and 3 age 46 my fees were paid for as an adult learner, the only trouble I had was getting a placement but college had an extra evening which was optional,I was the only one who turned up for a year with clients so I got one to one with the tutor. Go see your local college they really try to help you regardless of age,finances,and they have lots of funding in place to help.I was even entitled to a reduction in coucil tax while I wAs there.

There is no longer any funding for 24+ students. You have to apply for a 24+ loan, which you pay back when you earn a certain amount per annum, think its about £22k. You can only get one loan for a level 3 qualification. Some Colleges will let you pay for your course in installments if you can afford to.

There is no longer any funding for 24+ students. You have to apply for a 24+ loan, which you pay back when you earn a certain amount per annum, think its about £22k. You can only get one loan for a level 3 qualification. Some Colleges will let you pay for your course in installments if you can afford to.

It does depend where you live as funding rules vary across the UK and some students will still qualify for free tuition in Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.

Students living in England generally have to pay full tuition fees these days.

Thanks guys
The advice is appropriated I'm looking at either taking an intensive or college in Jan I was looking at Waltham as they had a level 2 hairdressING cause but it's NOT NVQ so I'm thinking I'm going to end up dping it with a training provider I really don't want to twiddle My thumbs until September 2016 lol

Latest posts

Back