Wearing my own nails down as I file!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serendipity

Reaction score
:confused: Help please im left handed and have just started in a salon and now im doing lots of filling i find im wearing my own nails down with the hand that holds the file is this normal? how can i stop wearing them down?

You can get flex wrap tape to wear over them whilst you are working.

Wait, so your left hand's nails are getting ruined by the file? That's kind of strange. How are you holding it?

I'm a righty, and I tend to mess up my left hand's nails because I hold the person's finger with it and the file hits my nails along with the client's.

Get those finger thingies (for sorting papers) from an office supply store. Inexpensive and they work. +, easy on and off. HTH! :)

Top tip here gilies,

For all those that use flex wrap (as i do) either look on line or in an equestrian tack shop and buy vet wrap. Its 3 x the size of flex wrap rolls and costs about £1.50 a roll.

(I have horses this is how i found out about this. Im not just a nutter!) haha Gotta love a money saving tip! xx:)

I'm like honeycure and jack up my right hand (I'm left handed) a lot more cuz I either bump the nails with my file or go right over my own finger cuz I put it in such a way that I wont file my clients actual finger. But I've heard that horse tape (keflex?) is pretty amazing and super cheap

Top tip here gilies,

For all those that use flex wrap (as i do) either look on line or in an equestrian tack shop and buy vet wrap. Its 3 x the size of flex wrap rolls and costs about £1.50 a roll.

(I have horses this is how i found out about this. Im not just a nutter!) haha Gotta love a money saving tip! xx:)

Great tip.....thanks :green:

I had this problem too, it was just on my index and middle finger that were wearing down. I also got sores along the sides of the fingers and they bleed towards the end of the day if i was really busy.

I started using the flex wrap tape but it became too expensive to use on a daily basis now i use a nitrile glove just on the filing hand (i must look like a total nutter with just 1 glove but i don't care! I care more for my vanity!)

Great tip about the horse tape thou, but im comfortable wearing my nitrile glove now and have been doing so for a year or so, a fresh one everytime of course. :) x

Top tip here gilies,

Is this the right stuff :)

Vet Wrap Bandages

I assume you cut it in half width ways as well?

I think the wraps are a good remedy for the meantime and eventually as you find your way, you will become comfortable with the file in a position that's not causing you too many problems.

Is this the right stuff :)

Vet Wrap Bandages

I assume you cut it in half width ways as well?

You are best to buy the proper vetrap brand as it is softer than the one in the link. I usually cut a 6inch piece off lengthwise then cut into 3 strips. If you cut a thin stip off the width it doesn't have the stretch, a bit complicated to explain but you will see when you try it. try this link 10 ROLLS GENUINE 3M EQUINE VETRAP VET WRAP RAP VETWRAP on eBay (end time 26-Nov-10 23:12:33 GMT)

Latest posts

Back