Website design?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo1980

Reaction score
I've searched, I promise! But to no avail....
Does anyone have any reccomendations for good website design? I already have a site but it really needs a makeover. Normally my Dad does it but as some of you geeks are aware, we have had alot of family things going on and I really dont want to burden him with it.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated :D
Also, you could post a link to your site so I can see and have a nosey???? :) xxxxx

Are you sure you searched this forum??! Lol

I think loads of people would send you to Ruth Mills. She does tons of geeks websites. Mine, however was done by a guy called Freddie Annobil. You can google him and he'll pop up :)

Ruth Mills. Ruth has just taken mine over, not much has changed really as wanted to keep my colours, logo. wording etc. Still tweaking but as I can log in and edit, change photos and generally manage the site myself without it being a template format such as vista, then I'm extremely happy.

Search Ruth Mills and see all the excellent advice she gives on SG.

Whos ur current site with?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Another vote for Ruth.

My website Jewel Hair and Beauty salon in Brighton and Hove, Sussex was done by website additions and as well as being reasonable they do all my email shots and changes for me for a very small monthly fee.

Hi Kazza

Just had a look at your site and I apologise to begin, you say you pay a monthly fee for the web designer to make small changes. They need a good kick up the @rse, I would be on the blower first thing in the morning getting them to sort this lot out firstly, FOC.

1: Firstly and most importantly you have far too many h1 tags I counted 7...you should have 1 per page..unless they are different main headings ie <h1>Cats</h1> <h1>Dogs</h1> in other words chalk and cheese.

Your ONE and only h1 tag should read something like "Jewel - Hair and Beauty salon in Brighton and Hove"...and if you want to try and extend your area then instead have "Jewel - Hair and Beauty salon in Sussex"

Then any other headers should h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 should be used...of which should be used in a logical order.

2: All internal links should have the full address in them not just "about.php" etc etc

3. All CSS should be on an external file

4. The biggest mistake 99% of people make is having no "Calls to Action" before the fold, (first part of the home page you see when it loads).
Calls to Action are what converts the viewer into a customer.

5. Your image names and "alt" tags need to be beefed up a little to help with SEO

6. Your Keywords are very vague.

7. You have very little content

8. <p>&nbsp;</p> Not good mark up

Sorry to be blunt but I hate seeing people pay for web design and they end up with poorly built pages that Google and other search engines would get confused over which in turn would do you no favours.

Hi Kazza

Just had a look at your site and I apologise to begin, you say you pay a monthly fee for the web designer to make small changes. They need a good kick up the @rse, I would be on the blower first thing in the morning getting them to sort this lot out firstly, FOC.

1: Firstly and most importantly you have far too many h1 tags I counted 7...you should have 1 per page..unless they are different main headings ie <h1>Cats</h1> <h1>Dogs</h1> in other words chalk and cheese.

Your ONE and only h1 tag should read something like "Jewel - Hair and Beauty salon in Brighton and Hove"...and if you want to try and extend your area then instead have "Jewel - Hair and Beauty salon in Sussex"

Then any other headers should h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 should be used...of which should be used in a logical order.

2: All internal links should have the full address in them not just "about.php" etc etc

3. All CSS should be on an external file

4. The biggest mistake 99% of people make is having no "Calls to Action" before the fold, (first part of the home page you see when it loads).
Calls to Action are what converts the viewer into a customer.

5. Your image names and "alt" tags need to be beefed up a little to help with SEO

6. Your Keywords are very vague.

7. You have very little content

8. <p>*</p> Not good mark up

Sorry to be blunt but I hate seeing people pay for web design and they end up with poorly built pages that Google and other search engines would get confused over which in turn would do you no favours.

I have no idea what your going on about but sounds like you know what your doing!, I got confused after point 1

I live my website. But just got told if have to pay £30 + Vat to add a couple of things to the treatment page and edit my opening times. To add a page it' be £30+ vat per hour and approx 3 hours work.

I am definitely going to use Ruth at Salon Alchemy for my next website. I love to be able to edit my website myself and not pay ridiculous amounts to change a couple of things.

Would a web designer get funny if I told him I was getting another designer to do me a new website? My website has been live about 2/3 months and has free hosting with 1 and 1 for a year. Not sure how it works moving a website?

Thanks geeks!
Firstly, yes I did search and Ruth and Carls name came up a couple of times, hence my contacting carl, but he only does the logo stuff and I got it in to my head that he and Ruth work together so didnt realise she did the web design!
Ill contact Ruth as her gallery looks great too, but still open to options if people want to show off their sites and I can nick their web designer!! :o
As usual, your help is brilliant :)
Thanks guys xxxxx

Have you considered using a free site? I'm quite happy with Yola www.polishedbyjessica.com Xx

Eta Carl did the logo for me :)

Have you considered using a free site? I'm quite happy with Yola Polished by Jessica Xx

Eta Carl did the logo for me :)

You have my wallpaper!! haha the silver swirls I mean, I have that in my salon and want it on my site!
How did you put this together? was it a lot of work? Im really quite pants at doing stuff like this, I dont have the patience, but I'm willing to give it a go....
xxx

Would a web designer get funny if I told him I was getting another designer to do me a new website? My website has been live about 2/3 months and has free hosting with 1 and 1 for a year. Not sure how it works moving a website?

£30ph is a little excessive for a designer, it depends on if you have a 12mth contract with the designer, or any other contract, do you own the copyright to the website?..in other words have you paid outright for the design and have you an email stating the copyright is yours, look at their T&C's too.

If you have the login details for your domain/hosting then you can do as you please(once copyright issue has been resolved).

If you do own the copyright then tell them you are going to start charging for advertising their business, ie "Website designed by":lick:

Change Latest News..Google see's Latest News January 2012 then it doesn't look like the website is updated on a regular basis.

Hia, jack shaw on here is doing mine at the moment, it looks great so far, I believe he's just starting out but its worth a try ! Xx

Hia, jack shaw on here is doing mine at the moment, it looks great so far, I believe he's just starting out but its worth a try ! Xx

Thanks Katy, ermmm I am not just starting out, done my NVQ in Web Development and now in my final year of my Degree for Website Design and Development, I have a couple of modules to do and I decided to select the Beauty Industry for my final year, and to be honest glad I did.

Got a few website reviews I still have to do and any Web Design you need I really don't mind putting something together of how it should be done, it helps with my degree and giving apples to lecturer.

If you want any advice then please do ask, I really don't mind passing on my experience.

Thanks again Katy, I have now put my trumpet away:D:D:D

Never seen jacks work but have herd alot of good stuff about him on here.
Based on what I have heard, I will be turning to him when I need a new site.

Commisiom please :)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

I meant, starting out with designing websites for us on here! Maybe I should have been more clear!! :)

Hi all,
Dont usually post but this thread has taken my interest.

I have had a look at some of the example links for websites and read peoples thoughts regarding charges for site creation and updates and I am not sure if some may be looking at it a little wrongly.

I personally dont like to spend more than I have to but I do realise that our salon that I think looks reasonable in real life should have a site that reflects that.
If a customer was to initially find you via the web then its that first impression of the site that will almost sell yourself there and then.

some designers that are affordable with good graphical design ideas are worth the money, some of the FREE site templates that are clean and crisp are very good if you can add a tidy logo and quality images.

The key thing is image, you need to look a worthwhile establishment and at the end of the day you are looking to create new income from it so it may well deserve a little investment.

With our site we dont bother with updates all the time, even tho we can, its all about image and getting those new enquiries.

I must add that I am not a website designer, I am just a regular guy who has been in business for years ( not hair and beauty ) but started a hair and beauty salon 2 years ago with my wife.

Latest posts

Back