Website domain hosting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolatepickle

Reaction score
I have created a free website with weebly and then I bought a domain name elseware, now I've attempted to host my website for free with weebly using my domain name that I've bought.
Despite emailing the company I bought the domain name from I can not do it, they have pointed something (DNS?) to weebly but nothing has changed and I dont think they're particularly bothered to help me as I'm hosting elseware.
Does that make any sense?

Has anyone done this before who can help me get it right please?

I am not techie at all so have no idea what I'm doing.:irked:

I had hosting problems before and moved to Scotserve | Premium hosting and domain services and Bryon could not be more helpful.

Check them out and they will also keep you right when it comes to making sure that your domain name is registered correctly. Many are not!

Who is your domain name with?

Thankyou fiona I'll take a peep in the morning.
Ruth it with 'Domain express' .co.uk... please tell me they're not cowboys!?

My website is built with weebly. :hug:

What's your web address

Thankyou fiona I'll take a peep in the morning.
Ruth it with 'Domain express' .co.uk... please tell me they're not cowboys!?

My website is built with weebly. :hug:

Had a quick look and they seem OK price wise... did they actually update DNS settings to point to Weebly then, or did you? What is happening when you type in your web address at the moment?

I tried but didnt understand what i was doing so asked them to.
They apparently did but i left it changed for 3 days and nothing changed so i went back to my .weebly.com address.

My current is Shellac Training Essex - Home and i'm trying to change it to drop the .weebly bit.
Thanks

I tried but didnt understand what i was doing so asked them to.
They apparently did but i left it changed for 3 days and nothing changed so i went back to my .weebly.com address.

My current is Shellac Training Essex - Home and i'm trying to change it to drop the .weebly bit.
Thanks

They haven't done jack! The domain name shellactraining.com is still pointing to their holding page.

:irked: There's my problem then I guess! funnily enough when I bought it they were so quick to phone me and try to sell me other bits :rolleyes:

:irked: There's my problem then I guess! funnily enough when I bought it they were so quick to phone me and try to sell me other bits :rolleyes:

Yes - other bits that you probably didn't need! No point in buying web hosting with them - as you wouldn't need it - as it's actually Weebly that hosts your site!

Strange... I've always used 123-reg.co.uk for domains and have never had any spam calls from them trying to flog me other stuff. So I guess that makes that domain company you used rather more "cowboy" than 123-reg - as I always associate unwanted spam telemarketing calls with "cowboy" behaviour...

I got a proper page when I clicked the link above.

You also have one called Beauty & Bronze (I think) through Vistaprint which I found yesterday LOL.

However, this is the Who.is details:
Domain Name: shellactrainingessex.com
Registrar: TUCOWS.COM CO.
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net

You need to get it registered in your name with Nominet otherwise you could have problems if you want to move it.

I got a proper page when I clicked the link above.

You also have one called Beauty & Bronze (I think) through Vistaprint which I found yesterday LOL.

However, this is the Who.is details:
Domain Name: shellactrainingessex.com
Registrar: TUCOWS.COM CO.
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
Referral URL: Tucows Domains – Domain Help

You need to get it registered in your name with Nominet otherwise you could have problems if you want to move it.

No, Nominet are only responsible for .uk domains (.co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk etc) - WHOIS details for .com domains usually only show the registrar (the company that registered the domain) rather than the client's own details.

thats right I now have two pages!
I didnt want to pay for two sites monthly though so went for the free one so I only had to buy the domain name then point it to my free page.
Its all sorted now, Ruth very kindly rectified the problems for me last night.

Hopefully next year i may collaberate the two sides of my job on a pro designed website- I hear SG has a very talented web designer frequenting the boards :wink2:
I couldnt add more pages to my vista one without upgrading.

Beauty And Bronze is the one I have added a link to Salon Alchemy on Ruth.

thats right I now have two pages!
I didnt want to pay for two sites monthly though so went for the free one so I only had to buy the domain name then point it to my free page.
Its all sorted now, Ruth very kindly rectified the problems for me last night.

Hopefully next year i may collaberate the two sides of my job on a pro designed website- I hear SG has a very talented web designer frequenting the boards :wink2:
I couldnt add more pages to my vista one without upgrading.

Beauty And Bronze is the one I have added a link to Salon Alchemy on Ruth.

Ah - how many pages do you get on Vistaprint then - and how much do they charge for that? Just nosey LOL...

Including VAT I pay £7.12 a month and get 5 pages.

Including VAT I pay £7.12 a month and get 5 pages.

Damn, wish I had time to finish off my super-template-based website system that I've been thinking about for a while... it would blow VistaPrint out of the water!

Look no further than 123 reg every time! > Domain names | Domain name registration | 123-reg

Yep - they get my vote - although I would be careful to only buy any "extras" from them (e.g. hosting and email) if you really need to - there's no point in buying hosting from 123-reg if you are going to use your domain name with a Weebly site, for example - as it will be Weebly who are actually hosting your site - not 123-reg - so you'd be paying for something that you don't need. Likewise, if your are not using 123-reg hosting - and the company you are using for hosting also offers email as part of their hosting deal - then there's no point in paying extra for email when you can get it as part of your hosting package for no extra charge.

Even though 123-reg will try and sell you these "extras" at the same time as selling you the domain name - you of course can go back and order them later should you need to - so it's probably best doing that rather than buying things you don't need on the spur of the moment...

Oh definitely Ruth yes, I forget that it is easy to fall into these traps and should have mentioned it. Also, there is nothing worse than a huge multiple domains bill every couple of years yikes! :) Definately best to keep it small and simple!

Last edited:
Oh definately Ruth yes, I forget that it is easy to fall into these traps and should have mentioned it. Also, there is nothing worse than a huge multiple domains bill every couple of years yikes! :) Definately best to keep it small and simple!

LOL yeah - most UK businesses can probably get away with just one .co.uk domain name unless they have aspirations of world domination :green:

Latest posts

Back