Wedding make-up advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia*

Reaction score
I've just taken my first ever booking for wedding make-up. how exciting!

i'm going to see my bride for her consultation in the next few days and wondered how extensive this typically is? do you usually completely make-up the bride so she knows exactly what to expect? or just 'play around' with different colours? eye-make up etc?

how long do you usually allow for the pre-wedding consultation?

thanks for all your advices

Jx

hi! i normally allow an hour for consultation.....i go over colours ie which would suit her, what colour flowers shes having etc. whether she wants the natural look or a bit more. how much make up she normally wears, talk to her about skin brightners and primers etc etc. i normally do the actual make up of how it would look on the day so she knows exactly how she'll look. she then has chance to say more eyeliner, less mascara etc.
or if she not sure on how to have eye make up do one eye one way and the other eye different and she can choose which one she prefers! will look a little odd tho!! hope this helps! xxxx oh yeah i then go over which products she would like to buy to have with her for the wedding day itself. brides always buy the lip gloss, foundation etc so its a good retail opp as well! make sure you write everything down that you use and how and where you apply them so you dont forget what your doing on the big day!!

Great advice! Also try and take a few snaps as well as write everything down - so that you can remember what you're doing on the day, show the bride how the make-up looks in photos, and to remind her on the wedding morning what you did in the trial, and check she is happy to do the same again.
Good luck!

thank you both

great idea on retailing, I would not have thought of doing that, thank you

Jx

just a thank you as after the trial consultation - i now have my first booking for wedding make-up

and she's booked an eyelash tint too!

Jx

thats brilliant, well done, have you any tips or advice yourself? I have my first bride in sept, trial in august, I have held off from doing them untill now even though i know im good at make up the brides scare me lol!

the trial retail products tip is brilliant! as i never would be able to afford to stock loads means i can have it ordered in.

i dont retail individual makeup items as i use mostly mac, bb etc but i offer the option of a premium bridal package which includes: makeup on the day plus a little kit including full lipstick, some powder and anti shine tissues - i will order any extras if they need it. i basically add the cost of the items to the bridal makeup and make a little profit with my industry discount

i have also started to offer a premium bridesmaids/mothers package which includes: make up on the day plus the choice of full lipstick or lip gloss

HTH

Wow what an interesting post!
I'm going to be doing VTCT access to HND make-up artistry in august i'm so excited and cannot wait! I have been working as a cleaner for the last 9 years and thought I'd be doing it forever when I was being bullied in my work by my supervisor! and I totally had enough and went to the careers advice place and found out everyone is entitled to a fulltime college course paid for you! oooommmmmg if i knew this I would have done this sooner! anyhoo better late than never! thanks for getting me excited again! tee hee :D

My advice is to ask the client what colours she more commonly wears - that way she will not be outside of her comfort zone with colours. I would also ask her to collect magazine cuttings of make up designs that she does like. I know that magazines air brush photos, so you should also inform your client that it would be impossible to pack on as much as the model would be wearing for those photos, but that you will try to recreate the look specific to her skin tones and colour preferences. Also, if possible, ask the client for the theme of her wedding. For example, my sister went with dark colours for her wedding, so her make-up was deep plums and really defined black eyes, but one of my friends had a very sophisticated and neutral colour theme and her make up consisted of browns and neutral tones.

I would also recommend that you stay in touch with the client in case any wedding plans change so that you know in advance if there will be alterations to the image she would like to portray on her day (it also shows her that you care, and she will feel that little bit extra special!) You should have a few trials for the make up so that your client will have time to become certain that she is happy with the image you have created.

I hope I have helped out and I hope that everything goes to plan!

Best of luck

I'm lovin this post soooo helpful. Would like to know what are your opinions on using eye liner on brides?

I was advised in my training that instead of doing bold eyes with a liquid or a pencil liner, use a little bit of water on an angled brush and use eyeshadows to define the eyes. It gives a soft definition of the eyes, and an extremely broad range of colours too.

i tend to wiggle the liner through the upper lashes so you cant see the harsh line,,, we all need definition! i also use a waterproof black liner or dark brown depending on eye shape to upper waterline not alot but enough to define . as it makes eyes look fab remember makeup disapears under a camera flash.. x

Latest posts

Back