Weighty issue, advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathi44

Bliss
Reaction score
I've recently acquired a new client and it looks like she's going to become a regular. My problem is (and there's no polite way to say this) she is HUGE. I have a few larger ladies but this is the fist time it's been a real problem. The first time she came she was booked in for a pedicure and, as per all my pedi clients, I had my beauty couch set up for her. She just about managed to get on the bed, at it's lowest height setting, but the bed was creaking & swaying throughout & she couldn't sit with her legs bent in front of her (because of her weight she can not straighten or close her legs) which made the treatment particularly difficult. I spent the whole treatment worrying that the bed was about to collapse! I checked with the manufacturer afterwards & the weight limit is 25 stone max (I'm pretty sure she is more than that)
The second time she came I moved a large arm chair into the treatment room and did the pedi sitting on a low stool in front of her. Slightly better for her but absolutely killed my back & made it really hard to do a good treatment (she couldn't raise her leg to my lap so I was bending to the floor)
Anyway, she has now texted to book a further treatment (pedicure, lash & brow tint, plus brow wax)
I've no idea how to proceed with this one. Obviously I don't want to offend her or risk injuring her, me (or my bed !!)
Any bright ideas Geeks ?!? TIA :) x

I think your lady is undoubtedly more than aware that her size is an issue and if you're able to find a way to accommodate her and make her feel accepted you'd probably have a grateful client for life. I have a Shellac client who is probably a similar size to your client and she often says how much she would love a back massage or pedicure but won't because of her size. I've reassured her so many times that between us we would come up with a comfortable way of doing the treatments which would also maintain her dignity but she's just too self conscious sadly :(

I think for a pedi I would pop a cushion on the floor and sit on that, let her place her foot on your knee so it wouldn't be as high as you sat on a stool. I've done this several times for heavily pregnant women. I know it's not ideal, especially for your back, but it wouldn't be for long really and hopefully only once a month.

Are you mobile or in a salon? If you're in a salon I would really recommend up grading your couch. I have a lot of big and very big ladies. I think the biggest was about 25 stone and my couch accommodated her,without any creaking etc. I think the maximum weight on mine is 30 stone and it's electric as well so saves your back.

Just a thought x

I agree with Pure about you sitting on a cushion on the floor to do the p/c, but you if you can find a low stool to rest her foot on so it's off the floor and not too high for her, that way you're not bending over. Perhaps even a sturdy box and a pillow over it.

Latest posts

Back