Weird tanning question about people in other parts of world

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a really strange question (for no particular reason) that has been bugging me for months. I wonder if anyone could answer it for me!

Many of us, including myself, protect mine and my families skin when out in the sun. I was wondering about those people who have been brought up and live in much hotter countries... Obviously they don't slap on suncream etc every day. Is their skin just used to it and it and is there a higher or lower rate of skin cancer in those places?

Could a person with pale skin move to a hot country when very young, then never wear suncream when they are an adult?

strange question, I know but really interesting!

Sam xx

In a recent article from the British Skin Foundation they stated that no less SPF than 15 was recommended even for black skins!!

Even skins used to the sun need protecting regardless of whether or not they burn, damage can still be done without us seeing it.

Scary stuff but as the say in Oz

"Slip Slap slop it on!!":green:

From what I have heard about Australia, the rate of skin cancer is higher than over here in the UK, and people are very much encouraged to wear sunscreen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys!

I've been to a few hot countries and met a few local girls on my holiday to Hawaii 4 years ago, who said to me they never got ' burnt' as they were used to it. It really puzzled me that someones skin would get 'used' to sunlight.

From what I have heard about Australia, the rate of skin cancer is higher than over here in the UK, and people are very much encouraged to wear sunscreen.
Posted via Mobile Device

The reason for this is the simple fact that the Australians went completely under cover in the 70's and immunity levels dropped over time.

Go back in time folks in your mind for a mo...the Aborigine's,Africans never used sun block and they didn't all die off in a heat wave.:rolleyes:

The problem with us modern humans is we simply go over the top with everything we do..don't eat this or stick your hand in a nail UV lamp or you will get the big C eek that means I cant do anything then:irked:

Think about it...what is a vaccination..you get injected with the disease your trying to protect yourself from...your immune system kicks in and learns how to fight the disease.

I was born in South Africa..blinkin hot...we never wore sun block and skin cancer is low.

I took my boy's on hols and my youngest was paranoid creaming himself every 2 mins and sitting in the shade with a shirt and cap on....scared through scaremongering.

It is proven that the rate of skin cancer in equatorial countries is lower than elsewhere...why..because the humans habituating that part of the world develop an immunity and adapt their life style around their environment.

The Aussies thought they were doing the right thing back in the 70's but in reality probably went to far and thus basic immunity reduced resulting in increased skin cancer rate.

Point..if you don't go on hols regularly from say the UK ..when you do you fry...look about you ..you don't see the locals frying or slapping on sunblock every minute.

All that said ..be safe in the sun if you don't see it to often and do your best to protect yourself..but don't go over board :hug:

Latest posts

Back