Wella Koleston copper help!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caddy-snips

Reaction score
I my friend is currently a full head 5/0 maybe even a 4/0. Lots of colour on and a little bit damaged to be honest. She wants to go a nice bright "ginger" colour.
Not quite sure how to attack it, in the gentlest way to get the best results.

TIA X

I my friend is currently a full head 5/0 maybe even a 4/0. Lots of colour on and a little bit damaged to be honest. She wants to go a nice bright "ginger" colour.
Not quite sure how to attack it, in the gentlest way to get the best results.

TIA X

R u a hairdresser, if so u need 2 update your profile, then I'm sure people will help x

Yes I am I've only just discovered this forum and registered. Not got as far as my profile.

10 yrs experience just venturing out of the salon and into the world of mobile hairdressing.

Yes I am I've only just discovered this forum and registered. Not got as far as my profile.

10 yrs experience just venturing out of the salon and into the world of mobile hairdressing.

Ok, as u get 2 know it more u will understand why I gave that advice :) ok so obvs pre lightning needs 2 happen first depending on the condition of the hair!!! Then what it lifts 2!!! Do u use wella? If so illumina 9,43 is great 4 ur chosen colour, obvs only if u can lift it 2 that. Hope this helped a bit. Good luck with your mobile x

7OO in goldwell is bright!

You could colour remover then bleach cleanes the rest.

How much damage? Would it take bleach at all?

Ok, as u get 2 know it more u will understand why I gave that advice :) ok so obvs pre lightning needs 2 happen first depending on the condition of the hair!!! Then what it lifts 2!!! Do u use wella? If so illumina 9,43 is great 4 ur chosen colour, obvs only if u can lift it 2 that. Hope this helped a bit. Good luck with your mobile x

I think 9/43 would be too light it's more of a rose gold than a "bright ginger colour"
You would need to strand test before you do anything but I would colour remove/ bleach bath and see what you lift to. (It will be very warm and coppery anyway from the undertones) and then you will have to go from there. What base does she want the colour to end up? As there's lots of nice coppers depending on what you can lift it too. 66/44 or 77/44 in colour touch are nice or 88/43 if you can lift it that light to deposit in the first place x

I think 9/43 would be too light it's more of a rose gold than a "bright ginger colour"
You would need to strand test before you do anything but I would colour remove/ bleach bath and see what you lift to. (It will be very warm and coppery anyway from the undertones) and then you will have to go from there. What base does she want the colour to end up? As there's lots of nice coppers depending on what you can lift it too. 66/44 or 77/44 in colour touch are nice or 88/43 if you can lift it that light to deposit in the first place x

agree with this, also doing the strand test will help you determine if the hair can handle the lightening process. I always advise my clients that its best on the hair and for better/even coverage done over time rather then over night. First of all advise her to start shampooing with head and shoulders..this helps colour to fade, using hot water but conditioning well after, also advise that in the mean time she could do with conditioning treatments and applying some moisturising products to help build the condition of the hair and see how your strand test go and have her choose the kind of copper she wants to be as there is loads out there all different depths and tones. You can then use your strand tests to determine how much to lift the hair to get a nice coverage, you would be best using a tone on tone or Demi rather then permanent as well as you will get better coverage :) if she has greys then use perm on roots and semi on ends. If your really worried about condition of the hair you could start by doing back to back highlights and then bleach bath remainder when hair is in better state as you wont need to lift for as long. Doing it gradually will be so much better on the hair especially as you have said it is damaged, I know people can be very impatient but just show her the out come of the strand test if it can't handle it. I just done a colour change and done L'Oreal 6.46 a auburn copper and its a lovely colour, think those colours are coming back in :)

I would aim for a level 7 with your copper I think you should go in with a colour remover to start with she might even like the colour she is left witch after that this has happened to me so many times with my copper clients if you do end up colouring it after always remember to go about 2 shades lighter after a colour remover can you not get us some pics or ruff base she would like to go her natural base does she have grey? X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401774555.426954.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1401774562.705678.jpg
These are similar to her current colour and desires colour although, I would imagine her hair has a lot of colour on it as she likes to chop and change a lot.

Thanks for all your help.
Glad I stumbled across this little gem of a site.

So you have just left a salon you worked in for 10 yrs but never removed a colour before? Does seem strange! Sorry and to take a client copper after the colour removal well I'd say its one of the easiest as far as colour corrections go! Lol sorry just being honest does sound funny when you say it x

Try not to keep opening threads on the same topic is gets a bit confusing :) xxx

Wow thanks that's helpful.

Just fancied hearing what other were using to see if there is anything better than what I am already using.

I'm more than capable, but it's always nice to hear if people have an alternative/easier way of achieving a result

Maybe I'm mistaken and this isn't what the forum is for.

Also, is 6 years since I left a salon and I just do friends and family currently, and don't have an entire range of products at home so don't want to waste money when I could just buy the best product for the job.
Thanks for the advice everyone else.
I'll be sure to use the search to find any further answer I might need x

No it's no problem this is what this forum is for its just I thought you had just walked out of a salon after 10yrs! Maybe if you would of said "I'm thinking of doing this? What are your thoughts?" It doesn't matter your new you will get used to it! So what colour removers do you currently use? And what was your thoughts on colours after using your colour remover to achieve that copper? X

Bleach or effasor to remove then maybe kp, 7/34.

I would do a bleach bath depending on condition then use colour touch xx

My hair is 7/34 with a few scattered H/L. It is a lovely colour. It isnt too bright, but will be brighter if you are using over an already warmer base.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

My hair was a 4/0 I just stripped it's gently with Blondor and pastel a few times, then put Illumina 7/43 on it, my hair looks exactly like the pic you put up. I top it up with perfecton /43 to stop it fading in between root touch ups. Hope that helps!

My hair was a 4/0 I just stripped it's gently with Blondor and pastel a few times, then put Illumina 7/43 on it, my hair looks exactly like the pic you put up. I top it up with perfecton /43 to stop it fading in between root touch ups. Hope that helps!

This is exactly what I do and have done for clients too. :)

Bleach or effasor to remove then maybe kp, 7/34.

Exactly what I would do but maybe use 7/43 if wanting a richer red copper as opposed to gold copper. X

Latest posts

Back