What are these?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Hi geeks

can anyone tell me what the correct term is for the raggedy sharp bits of nail at the sidewalls of the nail are and how to treat them. I don't mean the dry skin - hangnails that you can nip at the base of the skin tear but actual nail that seems to have split/broke away from the nail at the lateral folds. :irked: Hope I'm explaining this well.

thanks in advance :)

Are you using the wrong end of the curret (sp) when doing prep,

Sorry not sure what you mean by curett (sp)
I'm not a pro nail tech just a newbie and work colleagues with these little pests are asking or my help and advice.

Oh ok , it's a fab mettle tool but one end is more of a probe for removing debris but it's always tempting to use to loosen the stubborn side wall cuticle for removal ,its sharp and not made for that so the result quite often is small vertical tears in the nail plate right up the side walls like you described !

Could this be it?it's hard to know with out seeing ,
It's defenitly shreds of nail and not cuticle or hangnail right?

I've also seen this when a client went somewhere else for shellac removal and they used a metal tool instead of an orange wood stick and tore her nails up,

Www.lilmissbuffit.com
Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

It is a natural occurance on some peoples nails.

It is like there is a thin bit of nail that tears away right down the sidewall. If you catch it on clothing etc.. it can be quite sharp and when you pull it, to remove it, it will bleed.

I get these - do not know the name for them but I know it's not caused by using tools incorrectly as I've had them as long as I can remember.

I have 2 of them at present and will show them to my college tutor on Thurdasy evening and ask her what they are called. Will let you know what she says.

Hi

yes shreds of nail not hangnails -ie skin- actual nail. The thing is I haven't actually touched these girls nails as yet and know they don't use anything on them.

that would be great if you don't mind asking your lecturer, I used to get them quite lot but not so much since I moisturise and apply cuticle oil constantly.

Get them using Solar oil and do them a gentle buff with both sides of a koala buffer,
to get rid of the bits , but something causes them , weather it's dehydration , over filing , picking of polish or enhancements , or sharp tools ,

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

Get them using Solar oil and do them a gentle buff with both sides of a koala buffer,
to get rid of the bits , but something causes them , weather it's dehydration , over filing , picking of polish or enhancements , or sharp tools ,

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

will do- thankyou

is it a "WICK" your talking about, I dont know if this is the correct term but i get them periodically and my mum has always called them a wick.

is it a "WICK" your talking about, I dont know if this is the correct term but i get them periodically and my mum has always called them a wick.

not sure becky, it's like a wee slither of nail has broke away from the side of the nail plate hanging there between the sidewall and lateral wall

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

Buffing the nail will not help - you dont seem to understand what we mean.

It's not damage on the nail plate.

It is like a little extension of the nail, it grows with the nail and is joined to the side of the nail but it comes away if caught on clothing etc.

I have had these for years - long before I started doing anything with my nails, before nail varnish, manicures or extensions. I just took them for granted and never really thought anything of them.

It is like a little extension of the nail, it grows with the nail and is joined to the side of the nail but it comes away if caught on clothing etc.

I have had these for years - long before I started doing anything with my nails, before nail varnish, manicures or extensions. I just took them for granted and never really thought anything of them.

yep baggbybear you've got it! this exactly what I'm trying to explain - thanks

I know exactly what you mean, they bloody hurt too! I get them every month or so and have done for years. My mum too calls it a wick, I am sure this is not the correct term though.

I would love to know what causes them, I remember chatting with my tutor about this and I am sure she said it was just something some people are prone to and that there is very little you can do. I always clip mine as short as possible without touching living tissue and eventually it grows out and is fine for a while. I use cuticle oil religiously and it makes no difference x

Well I asked my college tutor and she said they are hangnails.

She said people use hangnails to mean the bits of skin on your finger too but the bits we wanted to know about are true hangnails.

Well I asked my college tutor and she said they are hangnails.

She said people use hangnails to mean the bits of skin on your finger too but the bits we wanted to know about are true hangnails.

thanks Baggybear, did she tell you why they occur or how to treat them by any chance :)

Even though you say it's not a hangnail, I think that is what it's actually called.
Images here, especially the first one, does this look familiar?

hangnail - Google Search

Even though you say it's not a hangnail, I think that is what it's actually called.
Images here, especially the first one, does this look familiar?

hangnail - Google Search

If you look at the post 2 before yours (the last one on page 1) it states that my colege tutor says they are hangnails - so it may pay to read all of the thread before posting, but thanks for your info.

If you look at the post 2 before yours (the last one on page 1) it states that my colege tutor says they are hangnails - so it may pay to read all of the thread before posting, but thanks for your info.

From some of the complete nonsense that people have quoted on here that college tutors have told them, I'm not so confident that the information is always correct! Images are always useful. However, after a quick look there don't seem to be many images of the hangnail, just the skin tags.

They are caused by the edge of the nail being pushed along the nail groove and a small part of it turning very slightly upwards. This soft nail can then detach from the sides as the nail starts to harden as approaching the free edge. They should be nipped off using very sharp nippers that do not pull as they cut. Some people are more prone than others and a manicure can often 'uncover' them.

thanks to everyone who posted and all the advice, will just snip them gently from now on as mum suggested, thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back