What could be the explanation to this condition?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I'm hoping you may be able to help me fathom out what is happening with a clients nails. This could be a long one so apologies in advance.

She first came to me in May having been an L&P wearer, wanted to try Shellac as her nails had been damaged from the L&P nails and she wanted to grow her own with my help.

We've worked very hard together and she comes every week, her nails grow ridiculously fast and she cannot get more than a week out of Shellac without it looking like she has 3 weeks regrowth.

We had started to see great results. Her nails were really improving, the indentation marks from the L&P grew out quickly, peeling became less and the nails were becoming stronger and less bendy.

However she became very poorly several weeks ago and was in hospital with a severe kidney infection, she was dangerously unwell. She has quite poor health anyway and suffers with frequent kidney infections. She is currently on long term low dose antibiotics.

This obviously has had an impact on the state of her nails and we are back to square one in their condition.

She is meticulous about using her oil, applies at least 5 times a day but this isn't making much difference in helping them currently.

The strange thing that I would please like advice on is her nails change on a weekly basis and I'm getting a bit stumped and would love to be able to confidently say, oh it's because etc etc. But I have no idea.

One week she will have 1 or 2 nails peeling, the next week virtually all of them, the next week none. Also, her free edges were normal, then a few weeks ago a few started to grow at a diagonal angle down one side. Her thumb nail has now also gone from normal, to diagonal at one side to how it is in the attached picture. I have attached a picture also of her other 2 nails were the free edge looks like it is growing down at an angle. A few others had started to do this and are now normal again. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on.

Could her health issues be to blame for all of this?

Any ideas and advice as to what is happening would be great.

I have started to use silk & fibreglass under her shellac and have done this for the past 3 weeks and when she came last night there was a significant improvement in her nails in terms of peeling and strength, so will be continuing with this for a while.

TIA :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

yza8e2ag.jpg

u5u2a7eh.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

its probably a combination of her body dealing with the illness and medication shes on. Your hair and nails are the last place to show illnesses (if you know what i mean).

Poor lady after all that work. Solid diet of solar oil is the best option.

xx

its probably a combination of her body dealing with the illness and medication shes on. Your hair and nails are the last place to show illnesses (if you know what i mean).

Poor lady after all that work. Solid diet of solar oil is the best option.

xx

Poor lady?! Poor me!! :lol: kidding :wink2:

Very frustrating for both of us although her left hand showed such a huge improvement last night from using the silk that it boosted us both a little :) It's taking forever and a day to do her nails each week as its like starting from scratch each time, her appointment is now taking 2 hours now we've introduced silk and fibreglass into the equation but the work I have to do every week after soaking off the Shellac is loads. We're both looking forward to when we can cut the prep time right back to a normal time. Exhausting for us both

Is there nail plate separation?

Is there nail plate separation?

No and like I say above, it changes week to week so pretty sure it's not the beginnings of onycholysis. She's also had no trauma to the nails of any kind

Would she be more suited to l&p or gel that doesn't need removing each time, but can be thinned & rebalanced thereby always having a tough protective coat on? Xx

Would she be more suited to l&p or gel that doesn't need removing each time, but can be thinned & rebalanced thereby always having a tough protective coat on? Xx

I only work with Shellac and polish so wouldn't be able to offer this but she is adamant she doesn't want to wear those products again. Plus she thinks I'm great and doesn't want to go anywhere else :green: :lol:

What I'm really trying to find out though is why her nails are doing what they're doing. She also obviously wants to know.

Looks like onycholysis to me, her skin also looks pretty dry.
Her health problems probably are responsible, but only her doctor can tell her that.
Keep them short and tell her not to pick under her nails - drives me crazy when they do this to 'clean' them!

One of my clients is suffering with this at the moment after she had an allergic reaction and it gave her hives on her fingertips. It'll most likely take 6 months for us to grow them out.

she has quite allot of cuticle for someone that comes so often, they also look very dry for someone that applies oil so regularly.
I'd give them a rest from anything (observe them) and just use a good cuticle oil, what oil is she using at the moment?

she has quite allot of cuticle for someone that comes so often, they also look very dry for someone that applies oil so regularly.
I'd give them a rest from anything (observe them) and just use a good cuticle oil, what oil is she using at the moment?

I know, this is what baffles me and takes so much time each week, it's like starting from scratch every week! She uses solar oil and unless she just buys loads off me and hoards them in a cupboard at home, then she must be using it as much as she says.

I've ordered some of the new Shellac Remover to try with her because her nails dry out so badly using D-solve, this photo is immediately after removal.

I'm so baffled

ETA: She is adamant she doesn't want to stop with Shellac as we've discussed this before. Do you think I should encourage her to put up with the regrowth and try and go 2 weeks even if she has chipping? Coming weekly and using D-solve so frequently I'm assuming can't be helping either :confused:

i would say its a mixture of health and medication with previous damage. Just from damage alone it can take 6 to 9 months for it to grow out completely but she could also have permanent damage in there aswell.

i would keep getting her to soalr oil as well as regular moisture treatments, the almond milk bath from cnd is a good one xx

does she clean under the nails herself, she could be over-pushing the hyponychium .... just a thought

does she clean under the nails herself, she could be over-pushing the hyponychium .... just a thought

She does and I've told her off for this so many times! So do you think the diagonal growth of free edge and the condition of her thumb is due to that and she's causing herself to have the beginnings of onycholysis?

I was going to introduce paraffin wax and perhaps do this on her. Problem is, because she comes every week, it's the cost factor for her. She's now paying extra for silk/fibreglass on top of her usual Shellac cost so I doubt she's going to then pay for a moisturizing treatment as well

She does and I've told her off for this so many times! So do you think the diagonal growth of free edge and the condition of her thumb is due to that and she's causing herself to have the beginnings of onycholysis?

I was going to introduce paraffin wax and perhaps do this on her. Problem is, because she comes every week, it's the cost factor for her. She's now paying extra for silk/fibreglass on top of her usual Shellac cost so I doubt she's going to then pay for a moisturizing treatment as well

I have a client who's nails grow like mad and came weekly for a new Shellac application for a few months. Her nails were drying out even though she's great about oiling. The cost was also becoming a factor, so now she come in every week, but on the alternate weeks, I just polish over the shellac with another color to camouflage the regrowth. We tend to use OPI GelColor so she can use the matching polish.
The condition of her nails had greatly improved. I've also changed to the new CND remover

I'm sorry I don't have any advice other than insist no further shellac for the moment. If she is coming on a weekly basis maybe create a bespoke nourishing manicure for her and use traditional polish. I find using the Lumos duo really gives good longevity for traditional polish. You could then maybe offer a special treatment price.

I would also get her it discuss this at her next Dr's appointment.

I can imagine being so poorly she loves the treat and the pampering and really that's what she will miss most, but there so many lovely manicure products available I'm sure you would still make her feel pampered.

I hope you and her get to the bottom of it.

Xx

Imo looks like clients over zealous cleaning under nails has caused this but think it will come good if she leaves it alone.

I know exactly how you feel re fibreglass & silk I have a few who need this also.

Just finished a Shellac remove & reapplication on my most extremely dry skinned client and used CND Nourishing Remover & the difference was amazing. Definitely worth the extra IMO.

mmmm Claire I've come back to your thread a few times each time having a little think, so I'm just going to say a few things off top of my head which may or may not be of any use to you lol!

Ok I would think her health does play a part. I wonder if shellacking her every week could be part of the issue like you said- the new remover may help. as she picks under her nails I wonder if this causes some of her chipping, maybe she is using her nails for other things also but not realising that despite solar oil being used if they're used as tools they can still chip. I wonder how old your client is? Have her nails got worse in the cold weather?

I have an ex enhancement wearer and we've worked together too, she comes every two weeks, she still has to remind herself not to do certain things. Right now we've got it down to just her thumb that keeps breaking as she knows she's doing something with it she's not supposed too lol! Some weeks we take a step back and I file her nails short to start again and that helps. I ask about age as it does effect some peoples nails, I find some of my 55 plus ladies sometimes get quite dry and we've done nothing different. Weather plays a part too, drying our hands out. I have to cuticle away myself regularly even with solar oil use.

Re the cost could you try giving your lady a two week shellac but every two weeks have an oil soak or of paraffin wax treatment and she how she goes.

Just some thoughts honey x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

mmmm Claire I've come back to your thread a few times each time having a little think, so I'm just going to say a few things off top of my head which may or may not be of any use to you lol!

Ok I would think her health does play a part. I wonder if shellacking her every week could be part of the issue like you said- the new remover may help. as she picks under her nails I wonder if this causes some of her chipping, maybe she is using her nails for other things also but not realising that despite solar oil being used if they're used as tools they can still chip. I wonder how old your client is? Have her nails got worse in the cold weather?

I have an ex enhancement wearer and we've worked together too, she comes every two weeks, she still has to remind herself not to do certain things. Right now we've got it down to just her thumb that keeps breaking as she knows she's doing something with it she's not supposed too lol! Some weeks we take a step back and I file her nails short to start again and that helps. I ask about age as it does effect some peoples nails, I find some of my 55 plus ladies sometimes get quite dry and we've done nothing different. Weather plays a part too, drying our hands out. I have to cuticle away myself regularly even with solar oil use.

Re the cost could you try giving your lady a two week shellac but every two weeks have an oil soak or of paraffin wax treatment and she how she goes.

Just some thoughts honey x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Thanks Laura. She's young, late 20's and is a primary teacher.

Her hands and cuticles have got a lot drier since the cold weather arrived, I've advised her to keep up with the solar oil, applying as much as possible and to use her hand cream also as frequently as possible.

The drying out side of things and the build up of cuticle I can deal with but really I'd like to know what is happening to her nails and why they are doing what they are doing.

I will advise her again to NOT dig out underneath and see if there's an improvement but I'm not sure she'll stick to that as she has a real thing about it. But if I perhaps say that I believe that is the cause then perhaps she will listen.

So wanting to clarify really that can damaging the hyponychium cause the nails to do what they are in the pictures I've attached? And why would they change from week to week?

Thanks Laura. She's young, late 20's and is a primary teacher.

Her hands and cuticles have got a lot drier since the cold weather arrived, I've advised her to keep up with the solar oil, applying as much as possible and to use her hand cream also as frequently as possible.

The drying out side of things and the build up of cuticle I can deal with but really I'd like to know what is happening to her nails and why they are doing what they are doing.

I will advise her again to NOT dig out underneath and see if there's an improvement but I'm not sure she'll stick to that as she has a real thing about it. But if I perhaps say that I believe that is the cause then perhaps she will listen.

So wanting to clarify really that can damaging the hyponychium cause the nails to do what they are in the pictures I've attached? And why would they change from week to week?

The pictures you have attached show onycolysis and if they are growing 3 weeks worth in one week that would explain why you're seeing a change so rapidly, because with regular regrowth it takes far longer to see improvement.
Unfortunately if it keeps happening then the cause is still there.

As for the cause, I know this isn't very helpful but you are not a doctor, and neither are we. We are nail professionals and we work with aesthetics!

If you confirm to her that it's one thing and it turns out to be another then you could be in big trouble.
If you have worries about the health of these nails, ask the girl to see her doctor.

Latest posts

Back