What could cause this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimid

Reaction score
Hey all just wondering why could cause this- girl said she is very stressed for last couple of months.....i have sent her off with solar oil keep on as much as she can....im not too confident with things like this as i dont see it very often!! I know i cant diagnose but just wanted to ask!! :) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394139440.774180.jpg

Some form of fungal infection i would say, solar oil won't help!
Best send her to the quack/dermatologist

picked off acrylics? About 3 months or so ago?

or have they just appeared?

Looks to me like shes picked her previous enhancements/gels off xx

No shes had shellac on for last 3 months or so not enhancement caused..... They are like very dry spots if that sounds right- i didnt think fungal from what our course covered.......thanks anyways.....

Psoriasis of the nail?

It looks like nothing more than dehydration. Leave the nails naked for a couple of days and it will disappear. If she is using Solar Oil even better.

Personally, I would have just reapplied gel polish.

Its certainly not fungal.

Thanks juicy Lucy I feel a lot better now- she wanted to leave them bare for the week before reapplying- hence driving it home bout the solar oil!! :)

When we use nail coating removers to remove gel polishes it also softens up the nail plate. If you use a pusher of any kind, no matter how gentle the touch you will also remove parts of the softened nail plate. It def looks like damage from gel polish removal.
Dehydration is most often a myth. If you were to add water to those nails would the white spots disappear? Think not.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for that- u may have a point im having problems since i got nourishing remover and have to use orange stick to help it off when i rang sweet squared they said to use orange stick.......i have emailed them again ....

When we use nail coating removers to remove gel polishes it also softens up the nail plate. If you use a pusher of any kind, no matter how gentle the touch you will also remove parts of the softened nail plate. It def looks like damage from gel polish removal.
Dehydration is most often a myth. If you were to add water to those nails would the white spots disappear? Think not.

I guarantee you this will clear up in a couple of days. It is the same old same old dehydration. If the OP says she uses Shellac but she has never seen this on any other client of hers, how likely is it that she has damaged one client's nails with her removal process? Watch and see. Some clients get this with normal nail polish, where there is nothing more than nail polish remover used.

If they are pitted then could be psoriasis, if not then I would think just dehydration.

I would invest in Dough Schoon's book. It's not cheap but it's a must have.

I guarantee you this will clear up in a couple of days. It is the same old same old dehydration. If the OP says she uses Shellac but she has never seen this on any other client of hers, how likely is it that she has damaged one client's nails with her removal process? Watch and see. Some clients get this with normal nail polish, where there is nothing more than nail polish remover used.

This is presicely the reason for proper education. Spreading nail myths do not do anyone good. If we as nail techs aren't going to learn nail anatomy and science to support what it is the truth how will the general public know any better?
Even a nail polish remover is a coating solvent and it will soften the nail plate.
Every person is different and has a slightly different "issue" therefore not every client will experience those visible damages. It is OKAY to admit that occasionally we have made mistakes, I have to :) As long as we keep upgrading our knowledge on how to prevent, and there are times it is hard (tougher time removing gel polish) then we are will be alright. Clients will respect you more if you can admit that yes, I have caused some damage with the removal as it was maybe unavoidable at the time but lets work on fixing it.
Educate. Its okay to make mistakes as that is how we learn.

This is presicely the reason for proper education. Spreading nail myths do not do anyone good. If we as nail techs aren't going to learn nail anatomy and science to support what it is the truth how will the general public know any better?
Even a nail polish remover is a coating solvent and it will soften the nail plate.
Every person is different and has a slightly different "issue" therefore not every client will experience those visible damages. It is OKAY to admit that occasionally we have made mistakes, I have to :) As long as we keep upgrading our knowledge on how to prevent, and there are times it is hard (tougher time removing gel polish) then we are will be alright. Clients will respect you more if you can admit that yes, I have caused some damage with the removal as it was maybe unavoidable at the time but lets work on fixing it.
Educate. Its okay to make mistakes as that is how we learn.

The problem with this site is people blindly believing everything they read particularly if it is written by certain people or by certain companies. Use your brain and think, also observe what you see. You are the person who sees nails every day, you are the person who knows what you do to nails every day. Education is also about understanding.

People spend all their time on here saying that Shellac causes no damage on removal, but at the same time you are apparently all admitting that you damage nails when you remove the product. However, some of the damage I've seen in the thread "IBX Before and After" is a disgrace and none of my clients' nails ever look like that. The idea of needing IBX on every client is laughable and a total admission from any tech that they are doing something major wrong. In deed, as you say "every client has slightly different issues", so why give them all the same treatment. Think about it.

I have one client who gets this dehydration even with ordinary nail polish (which clearly is removed with nothing more than polish remover). It is not damage, it always appears only in the centre of the nail (never on the free edge and never near the cuticle). As I have said, if left for a couple of days it will disappear therefore proving it is not damage.

Lets wait and see what happens to the OP's client's nails.

My own nails currently have these white spots after I picked off shellac a couple of applications back! Lesson learnt :-/

My own nails currently have these white spots after I picked off shellac a couple of applications back! Lesson learnt :-/

:lol: and clearly incorrect removal can cause it, but the OP is sure (as lots of us are) that it is not something she has done differently compared to how she normally removes Shellac. I'm just saying its not always damage and I think even Doug agrees with this.

Thanks all- its just removal is no issue only the last 2 times when i started sing nourishing remover but i dont hack at the nail just a light budge......i dont do alot of nails maybe 4-5 a week so i have never seen this before and she has been comin for about a year......i called her back today and i put in gelish recovery vitagel to see how that goes..i. Use both shellac and gelish all full systems and proper removals...ill let u know how it goes and ill get the book too :)

The problem with this site is people blindly believing everything they read particularly if it is written by certain people or by certain companies. Use your brain and think, also observe what you see. You are the person who sees nails every day, you are the person who knows what you do to nails every day. Education is also about understanding.

People spend all their time on here saying that Shellac causes no damage on removal, but at the same time you are apparently all admitting that you damage nails when you remove the product. However, some of the damage I've seen in the thread "IBX Before and After" is a disgrace and none of my clients' nails ever look like that. The idea of needing IBX on every client is laughable and a total admission from any tech that they are doing something major wrong. In deed, as you say "every client has slightly different issues", so why give them all the same treatment. Think about it.

I have one client who gets this dehydration even with ordinary nail polish (which clearly is removed with nothing more than polish remover). It is not damage, it always appears only in the centre of the nail (never on the free edge and never near the cuticle). As I have said, if left for a couple of days it will disappear therefore proving it is not damage.

Lets wait and see what happens to the OP's client's nails.

I haven't seen anyone admit any wrongdoing. I can personally guarantee I haven't caused intentional damage to any of my clients. They come to see me on a recommendation from existing clients because 1. They have picked/ripped off their enhancements or 2. Someone else removed their enhancements improperly, therefore needing my services.
So, if we deal with nails, and we understand that the white spots seem to happen in the centre of the nail mostly, wouldn't you come to a conclusion that when the product is soaking off the gel polish, it tends to lift beautifully around the sidewalls and free edge, yet the centre may need longer soaking to remove or the tech may use a stick to help it along. Like stated previously, no matter the solvent it will soften the nail plate and ANY amount of scraping no matter how gentle may removed "some" surface plate leaving behind damage in the form of white spots aka damage.
Trying to dispute Scientific Facts on nail anatomy is the only laughable thing here, but then again many people believe Adam and Eve existed.
I think I have said enough on this topic, to the OP, you have done your best and it can happen to all of us. It is fixable and it will grow out.
Learn and grow, take care :)

Latest posts

Back