What do I say re eponychium cutting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful You

Reaction score
I'm CND trained and I know my eponychium from my cuticle. However I now work for a salon and they appear to trim the eponychium. I have shown them my currette and said I don't generally don't need cuticle nippers but the owner said she thinks the currette won't work on toes where the 'cuticle' (eponychium) is half way up the toe.

I don't know what to do. I must admit with my greeness I have done plenty of toes but not come across any that bad. My sister has a thickish eponychium but there is no way I would ever cut it. I would just advise solar oil and cuticle eraser. But I can see there point that a pedicure would not be very brilliant it was really bad and you could only paint half the nail. My husbands nails are a little like this and the cuticle work sometimes looses white bits which could be removed.

I need advice on what to say? I can't go against my CND training as it is risking infection but I also respect my salon owner and in early days don't want to annoy her. They are college trained so it is a different approach but one they are used to. I also know cutting will lead to making the problem worse in the long term.

Go with your training, keep doing what you are and maybe explain that your training states no cutting :)

I am college trained, well in training and know never to cut the cuticle!!!

Stick with your training!

Hi Beautiful You, I would push back cuticles and whatever is waving in the breeze, nip. That is NOT live tissue. Anything else IS and may bleed if nipped.

Just follow what you were taught in training and you will be fine!

Good luck! :D

Agreed. This is what I do. I apply cuticle remover to the entire nail and gently push the cuticle. Then I use my curette. Whatever is "waving in the breeze" that I wasn't able to get by using my pusher or my curette, I will use my nipper.

It's not my first resort...it's my last.

Thanks, sorry I didn't mean to tar all college training with the same brush. Perhaps it was done a long while ago. Yes I am going to have to stick with my principles and just explain why somehow. I was thinking of maybe doing my prep on the salon owner to show her how thorough it really is. I have gained clients just due to my prep work. It might help as she has commented that I had very little cuticle but it's all over the nail so you can't tell by looking. And I know I have lots sometimes when I have not done anything on myself for a while as I have been busy.

I can't use my beloved cuticle away or any product during prep as they use a brand which then won't adhere. Oh I miss my shellac big time :sad:, especially as I can't now justify the new colours. But I would never give it away and are still using it on myself and friends and family. You can however do a quick soak so I will dry prep and see what waves. I'm just part time and salon experience is what I need.

Will try my best CND sell and see if we can get back to a little shellac if they want to. Need to show them the flash mobs, they could post these to FB they are so fabulous!

Latest posts

Back