What do you all think to my new idea for my salon???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fificharlie

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

A bit long, sorry!!

Ive put in an offer on a shop, and its been accepted, going to turn it into a nail bar and beauty salon, I'll get a qualified beauty therapist in to work for me....

But, there are alot of pubs around my town centre, that are for cross dressers, transgender and gay people. My other half used to be a police officer, and one night the force done a 'Meet your local community' evening, which involved going to these pubs. I joined him and the rest of his force, as a gay friend of mine used to go to this pub quite often, and as I'm very open minded I thought I'd go, to meet these ppl too. I arrived, and was shocked to see how packed out this pub was! There were many transgender people, and cross dressers, and I wondered to myself where these ppl go during the day, as you never 'see' many ppl like that just walking around like the ret of the community.

Ive had an idea of offering services to these people, as Ive done a search and NOWHERE in my town offers nail extensions to men that want to dress as women. I thought I could also offer things like makeup lessons, and nail varnish application services, weekender and party nails? - It would probably be done in the evening/s, maybe one or two nights a week, I have a great 'back room' - and a side entrance, so their privacy would be assured if that is a priority for them, although I would be happy for them to come in during the day if thats what they wanted! - I'm thinking of going back to these pubs and just generally talking to ppl to find out how they feel about this service, and would they enjoy coming to 'a salon' for some pampering / to have nails applied etc.

What do you geeks think about this? Do you all think its a good idea? I think it would work..... but I'm still a little unsure :Scared:

xxxxxxx

i think its a great idea everyone deserves to be pampered and have their nails done whatever their lifestyle! good luck!! :)

i do think it's a good idea but i think you have to be careful not to alienate these people. I don't mean alienate them from you but from mainstream society. ie coming in through the side entrance, evenings only. I'm sure some people feel that they have to hide away and be shady about what they do, I think it's great that they do soemthing they want to do. Anyway, good luck to you i think it's a nice idea but maybe you'll have think of a good/perhaps discreet way to market it (if they like to keep it quiet!). i think you'll have a hoot!

PS which salon did you decide to go for mate?

kadie said:
i do think it's a good idea but i think you have to be careful not to alienate these people. I don't mean alienate them from you but from mainstream society. ie coming in through the side entrance, evenings only. I'm sure some people feel that they have to hide away and be shady about what they do, I think it's great that they do soemthing they want to do. Anyway, good luck to you i think it's a nice idea but maybe you'll have think of a good/perhaps discreet way to market it (if they like to keep it quiet!). i think you'll have a hoot!

PS which salon did you decide to go for mate?

Hiya Kadie!

I decided to go for the more expensive one, purely because its in a better location! - Theres a pic in my gallery of it as it is now - pre refurb! - I was thinking of doing a separate lot of flyers and just displaying them in these pubs in the town centre? I know I have to be careful, as some clients might be put off by it.... Just an idea at the mo, but its good to hear others views!

x

I think its a brill idea.
Get a few leaflets done up and leave them in the pub toilets and then they can take one if they want one without the whole world knowing their business.
Good luck.

I think its a fantastic idea!! You need to think carefully about the advertising/marketing side of it so you wouldnt offend anyone. Perhaps you should only keep the side door for when royalty visit etc. The prob with discussing your original/good ideas with other people (apart from us Geeks of course) is that while you are talking about it someone else is doing it (just because Im paranoid doesnt mean they are not out to get me!). You could put up a notice nad hand out fliers once you are up and running. You could put a picture on them of a gorgeous person with lovely, dramatic nails perhaps. I imagine that the person who would come for you to have their nails 'done' wouldnt be too concerned with keeping it a big secret as if its not noticeable in some way then theres no point in doing it.hth. lots of luck xx

Hi,i think it's a great idea too,but risk sounding a bit like your mum,just make sure you have another member of staff in @ all times on an evening so you are not alone.You can't be too safe !

becki x said:
Hi,i think it's a great idea too,but risk sounding a bit like your mum,just make sure you have another member of staff in @ all times on an evening so you are not alone.You can't be too safe !

Its a very good point Becki!! - My mum was the one that actually came up with the idea, and shes willing to do some evenings with me! Also got a friend whos thinking about working for me in the eves to! - I wouldn't feel safe on my own!!!:eek:

xxx

fificharlie said:
Hiya Kadie!

I decided to go for the more expensive one, purely because its in a better location! - Theres a pic in my gallery of it as it is now - pre refurb! - I was thinking of doing a separate lot of flyers and just displaying them in these pubs in the town centre? I know I have to be careful, as some clients might be put off by it.... Just an idea at the mo, but its good to hear others views!

x

I think that would be a good idea.to be honest transexuals/transgender etc group together a lot (as you've found out!) so i reckon it'd be word of mouth after you'd done a few leaflets. you'd probably end up with a party at your salon! I'm going to look at your salon now xx

My mum's old work colleague opened a school for transgender/transexuals on how to apply make up etc.etc. it went down a storm and she is very busy. You will have to carefully think on how you will market this - in otherwords where you will advertise that's the only thing I can think of to say xx

I think it's a fantastic idea.
The key to a good business is being able to offer something nobody else is, something unique or better or whatever.... you don't need me to explain.
If you can corner the market, you can wind up making quite the name for yourself.
I say go for it!

Variety is the spice of life :biggrin:

HI

I think its a great idea. You have ob found an untapped part of the market in your town. The side entrance and private room is really good too as i think its for this reason that transexuals dont attend salons on a regular basis. You get a lot of biased people out there.

Latest posts

Back