What do you expect from your education?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
As the title asks, what do YOU expect from your education?
Specifically, and precisely.

How many hours do you think a 'good' course should take in total?
How many hours devoted to theory?
What specifically should be covered in theory?
How many hours devoted to practical?
What specifically should be covered in practical?
How stringent should examination be?
What should the minimum passing grade be?

If you could put all courses together into one.....and all books together into one.... What would you like to see in it?

What would you want added that isn't found in usual courses and must be learned later at additional cost BUT you feel it should be part of the initial course?

IF you teach.... what would you like to see implemented?

What do you feel are the biggest mistakes in courses either by A) students or B) teachers?

Looking forward to reading all of your replies.
:hug:

Wow V - great post!

Course hours are a tough one for me, because it really depends on how much practice the students get. I received the "minimum" hours, but because I was the only student in the class, I had very little practice.

I think it is important for theory to cover the myths and facts about all nail products, as so many students are taught incorrect product info based on biased information.

I also think Douglas Schoon's book should be part of the class along with the Milady book. Douglas' book taught me way more than Milady. In his book, as you know, he spends a lot of time explaining the products, how they work and that they AREN'T harmful.

Out here, if you want to learn how to sculpt, it is an extra course - that should be included. I also think acrylic and wrap systems should be included as well. The schools need to give these students a wide range of services to add to their menu. The students here have never had any post-school upgrading - so they only learn what they learn at school and have to wing it from there. Paragon is working hard to change that - but I can't believe how little they are taught.

I think the biggest issue here is the school OWNERS as it is up to them to decide on the education layout. They are crippling their students before they even start as they are not giving them enough information. The owners decide what is taught and what isn't - not the instructors (here at any rate).

The exam here isn't very hard - if you know your stuff, you will pass it. What irritates me most is how much time is spent testing your knowledge of the Association's bylaws. I know this is important for licensing and such, but we can always look that up if we need specifics - I don't think it should be tested.

Again, great thread V - thanks for getting the wheels in my brain moving!

Personally, I'd love to see and international qualification for nail technicians with examinations that are independently assessed. The Habia organization is going some way towards this but it hasn't been adopted by many countries yet and for smaller countries (like Sweden) the cost of setting this up is prohibitive.

In Sweden and many countries the schools are run my suppliers and distributors. There's no neutrality, requirement for teaching skills, or standard course syllabus - so quality varies a lot. However, in Sweden there are national standards for hairdressing and beauty therapy - so nail techs are the poor cousins.

However, this is only part of the solution. Local governments need more inspectors to ensure standards are kept. This is the problem in the US which does have statewide educational standards - not enough inspectors checking the safety of NSS.

Great thread! Everyone seems to be asking for information regarding training and education, so I think this is good!
My personal circumstances are that I do an nvq course at my local (ish!) college. The nvq in nail services are divided up into two years, so the first year is nvq2 which covers mani,pedi,fibreglass,nail art. The second year is nvq3 which covers acrylic,gel,advanced nail art&airbrushing. Each course is 38weeks long. I think these courses have been perfect for me, the length of time in particular. There has been enough time for everything....theory, practical and exams. This year is slightly better, because we have been given the choice of when to start exams. The course actually finishes in July, but like me for instance, have been practising like mad, have felt ready for the exams and started already and now only have 1 left to do! I could never have done one of these courses that are a day or two long (I am not knocking them by the way!) I found a course of this length has enabled me learn all the techniques well, and is also good because they include everything.
Although we have been over the theory, in class and as homework, I dont feel completely wise on that side. So that is going to have to be up to me to learn more now.
With regards to practical, I know a lot of people on my course have found it difficult to practise, because we were all praqctising on each other in class and our nails were getting so wrecked. And not everybody had people they could practise on at home. I didnt feel we had enough practical, it was hard enough trying to get the basics with acrylic and gel, so I have barely had any practising with say, sculpting gel. For example, before we stopped for the easter holidays, I done an exam doing a rebalance on gel....I have never even tried this before!!! I hadnt even seen a tutorial on it...I had to go from what I have read. Luckily, it paid off and did a good job and I passed!
I do think that exams need to be more strict. I cant say this for everywhere because I obviously dont know what other exams are like. But I know that where I am, some people have been passed on shocking sets of nails! And for those of us who work our asses off and practise loads, I dont think thats too fair.
One of the mistakes I have noticed by our tutors, is that we dont get things explained to us very well. We all obviously have loads of questions, but when we do ask, we are never satisfied with the answer. Its like we get a bit fobbed off and not told exactly what we asked iyswim. Dont get me wrong, the tutors are very knowledgable, they know what they are doing, some are masters with cnd etc... But it would of been nice to fully understand something when we are confused.
Again, great thread, look forward to reading others replies! xx

Well i would like to see the courses broke up in steps. (In some case they already are)
- Inicial training (50%theory-50%practise, 1 to 2 weeks, subjects covered not too deeply, but to ensure minimum comprehension, exams not to strict)
- Advanced workshops (in art, improving aplication skills, higiene ans safety, business managment, improving speed of aplication, etc) (70% theory-30%practise, 1 to 2 days, subject of workshop covered very deeply, strict exams)
- Master Classes (required inicial traning and some years of experience) (70% theory- 30%practise, 3 to 4 days, covering EVERYTHING there is to know about the system you already trained with, from chemistry, safety, new methods, advanced techniques, VERY STRICT exams)
- Becoming a trainer (required master degree, 1 to 2 weeks training, specially focusing on educational skills and tools, 70% theory-30%practise)

I think i basiclly described CND's training but well... it's basiclly what i belive all trainings should be...

If i was on a one day course i would expect at least 6 hours in that day of training.

I would say 2 hours dedicated to the theory

Contra- Indications, Hygiene and sterilisation/sanitisation, The benefits of the treatment your going to be providing, Aftercare advice. I may have missed something out i have a feeling i have?

4 hours maybe 5 it really audpends how quickly your able to pick up what you can do.

The proceedure of the treatment, tools & equiptment & products, preparing for the treatment & setting up tools & hygiene again.

Im not too sure what stringent means?

Not too sure on this either?

If you could put all courses together into one.....and all books together into one.... What would you like to see in it?

Not too sure what you mean by this i.e just a nail technician course or all the beauty courses?

What would you want added that isn't found in usual courses and must be learned later at additional cost BUT you feel it should be part of the initial course?

Nothing if im honest as i think it would be too much to take in i like to absorb what i have learnt take it on board and then go ahead on to extra things

What do you feel are the biggest mistakes in courses either by A) students or B) teachers?

To be fair you cant say either A) Some people learn quicker than others.
B) Yes some teachers are not good at all and some are not bothered about the student thats learning. But then there are some fantastic and dedicated teachers out there

Victoria i love your threads with questions :lol: Gives me something to do!
My answers are all in red :green:

I have a LOT to reply to, so please forgive my editing :o

Wow V - great post! (THANKS!)

Course hours are a tough one for me, because it really depends on how much practice the students get.
So.... take a shot.. how many hours on theory and how many on practical?
I think it is important for theory to cover the myths and facts about all nail products, as so many students are taught incorrect product info based on biased information.
DITTO

I also think Douglas Schoon's book should be part of the class along with the Milady book.
Ditto.. I can think of a few other authors and industry leaders I'd like to see put together in one book....

Out here, if you want to learn how to sculpt, it is an extra course - that should be included.
Particularly since repairs are time consuming, and it is the most cost effective way to do breaks, instead of starting over with a tip.

I think the biggest issue here is the school OWNERS as it is up to them to decide on the education layout. They are crippling their students before they even start as they are not giving them enough information.
EXACTLY.. often giving as little as necessary, just to make a buck. When they KNOW they can do better.

The exam here isn't very hard - if you know your stuff, you will pass it.
Exam? what exam? I didn't get one. Says tonnes for my diplomas, doesn't it? :irked: And as per one of my diplomas, I graduated with "honours":rolleyes:

What irritates me most is how much time is spent testing your knowledge of the Association's bylaws. I know this is important for licensing and such, but we can always look that up if we need specifics - I don't think it should be tested.
We never even touched it.

Again, great thread V - thanks for getting the wheels in my brain moving!
You're welcome. LOL

Personally, I'd love to see and international qualification for nail technicians with examinations that are independently assessed. The Habia organization is going some way towards this but it hasn't been adopted by many countries yet and for smaller countries (like Sweden) the cost of setting this up is prohibitive.
Exactly my idea...

In Sweden and many countries the schools are run my suppliers and distributors. There's no neutrality, requirement for teaching skills, or standard course syllabus - so quality varies a lot. However, in Sweden there are national standards for hairdressing and beauty therapy - so nail techs are the poor cousins.
In Quebec/Canada, it's the same. No standard for hairdressing though HOWEVER there are much better schools for hairdressers. AWESOME schools in fact. I should know. I attended one.

However, this is only part of the solution. Local governments need more inspectors to ensure standards are kept. This is the problem in the US which does have statewide educational standards - not enough inspectors checking the safety of NSS.
If we start small, offering better education, then creating standards where there are none... could this not eventually happen? A snowball effect? Say, license needs to be renewed every year (like a car) and a small fee goes towards an office for policing the nss etc......

The nvq in nail services are divided up into two years, so the first year is nvq2 which covers mani,pedi,fibreglass,nail art. The second year is nvq3 which covers acrylic,gel,advanced nail art&airbrushing. Each course is 38weeks long.
How many hours is it?

I think these courses have been perfect for me, the length of time in particular. There has been enough time for everything....theory, practical and exams.
great!

Although we have been over the theory, in class and as homework, I dont feel completely wise on that side. So that is going to have to be up to me to learn more now.
They don't test theory?

With regards to practical, I know a lot of people on my course have found it difficult to practise, because we were all praqctising on each other in class and our nails were getting so wrecked.
In my hairdressing school, we had client days. We offered services to the public at a MUCH reduced rate, and the teachers oversaw what we did. What would you think of a school that did the same with nail technology?

I didnt feel we had enough practical, it was hard enough trying to get the basics with acrylic and gel, so I have barely had any practising with say, sculpting gel.
And wouldn't it be interesting if we had the numbers of the students that passed their course, went out into the world and compared graduates to the numbers that actually made a success of themselves and started a career? How many give up and throw in the towel because their technique isn't to par?

I do think that exams need to be more strict.
DITTO!

One of the mistakes I have noticed by our tutors, is that we dont get things explained to us very well.
This is often the case in any kind of school: a great teacher is understood and explains well... a not so great teacher is poor at communicating. Regrettably, this is the way it's always been.

I'll add more replies further down

Well i would like to see the courses broke up in steps. (In some case they already are)
- Inicial training (50%theory-50%practise, 1 to 2 weeks, subjects covered not too deeply, but to ensure minimum comprehension, exams not to strict)
So you feel that approx 70-80 hours is sufficient for a tech to enter the workforce and be successful at starting a business and offering attractive enhancements, without causing damage or suffering too much lift etc? Or have I misunderstood, and you mean only for that segment?

- Advanced workshops (in art, improving aplication skills, higiene ans safety, business managment, improving speed of aplication, etc) (70% theory-30%practise, 1 to 2 days, subject of workshop covered very deeply, strict exams)
Shouldn't hygiene, safety and management be some of the first things learned, prior to application of products?

Victoria i love your threads with questions :lol: Gives me something to do!
lol thanks
My answers are all in red :green:
This time, my answers will be in blue LOL :lol:

Originally Posted by VHunter
If i was on a one day course i would expect at least 6 hours in that day of training.

The question being 'what do YOU expect from your education", how many hours do you think a GOOD course should be? How many days? You decide.

I would say 2 hours dedicated to the theory
Contra- Indications, Hygiene and sterilisation/sanitisation, The benefits of the treatment your going to be providing, Aftercare advice. I may have missed something out i have a feeling i have?

Chemistry, biology, business management, etc.. Really? 2 hours? And how much will actually 'stick' and not get forgotten? I know it took me more than 2hours to read Doug's book. Then there's Gigi's, and also Milady's the complete technician.. took way more than 2 hours to read all of those. Personally, I would prefer more than 2hrs on theory.
OF COURSE, you're basing this on a one day course. I took a 3 day course, they offered one day of theory (for which they sent me home for 'knowing it all') and I thought it was a shame there was only that.

4 hours maybe 5 it really audpends how quickly your able to pick up what you can do.

We had 2 days...'technically'. I did one day of practical, 1 day of art.

Im not too sure what stringent means?
It means how hard should it be? how difficult should the test be?

Not too sure on this either?

Would a 60% correct on the test be sufficient? Or 80%?

Not too sure what you mean by this i.e just a nail technician course or all the beauty courses?

For nail techs only.

Nothing if im honest as i think it would be too much to take in i like to absorb what i have learnt take it on board and then go ahead on to extra things

I could go on for hours what SHOULD have been part of my course, but let's not get me going LOL

To be fair you cant say either A) Some people learn quicker than others.
B) Yes some teachers are not good at all and some are not bothered about the student thats learning. But then there are some fantastic and dedicated teachers out there

I'm not sure my question was understood exactly. Let me pose the question differently.
For students, what poses the biggest challenge and what needs more time, 'on average', to learn? What needs to be covered in more depth?
For teachers; what do they need to do, to be better teachers? What should the requirements be that they BECOME a teacher?

THANKS everyone for your replies! I've added some more questions and I'd really LOVE more feedback on this.
This is about what YOU would like to see in a course.
If you could have your 'Dream" course, that answered all your prayers about becoming a nail technician, what would you want.

I wont answer all the questions as i agree with most of the above written.
But I attented a creative class, which in Denmark was 4 days, and then you had to attend a least to training days after before exam, which was strict, so thats ok. But if I could add to that I would add rebalances as this is a masteclass here (don't know if it is everywhere) and I believe it should be a part of foundation, we covered it, but only briefly.
I know it's because it's difficult for a newbie to imagine rebalances and backfills at the same time learn how to make the nails. Maybe they could put it in as an extra day a few months after the foundation, and a rule that you have to have it before you can pass.

Otherwise only thing would be regulation, so sad with all those techs who think they get education, when in fact they are ripped of. I heard one student praise another course (expensive 5 days course where you learn 5 systems at the same time) and that was based on the tutor who could do a 3dflower and she didn't believe anybody else could do that.... uhm what about theory and such?
Great thread.....

The question being 'what do YOU expect from your education", how many hours do you think a GOOD course should be? How many days? You decide.

Oh i see now ok well if i was training for a gel nail course i would want 3 days training at 5-6 hours per day.

Chemistry, biology, business management, etc.. Really? 2 hours? And how much will actually 'stick' and not get forgotten? I know it took me more than 2hours to read Doug's book. Then there's Gigi's, and also Milady's the complete technician.. took way more than 2 hours to read all of those. Personally, I would prefer more than 2hrs on theory.
OF COURSE, you're basing this on a one day course. I took a 3 day course, they offered one day of theory (for which they sent me home for 'knowing it all') and I thought it was a shame there was only that.

Ideally i would want 1 full day of theory and then take home books etd to read and keep etc

It means how hard should it be? how difficult should the test be?

I do think the test should be medium on difficulty obviously not impossible but not too easy. Enough to pass standards of a good nail technician.

Would a 60% correct on the test be sufficient? Or 80%?

I think 80% as after this course your needing to take care of other people & other peoples nails and you need to be up to standards in order to do this.

I would like to see Manicure & Pedicure covering 2 days Uv gel nails or l&p covering 2 days. 1 day on theory. I would like to see marian newman book with this and Gigi's nailclass book. But ideally i like to take my courses seperate rather than all in one as it can sometimes be too much information to take in.

So i would like to firstly cover anatomy & ph (sp?) on a 1 day course
A week later go onto a manicure and pedicure course for 2days get the grips of this and 2-3 weeks later cover UV gel nails for 3 days and then take nail art in a few weeks after this and the extras.

I'm not sure my question was understood exactly. Let me pose the question differently.
For students, what poses the biggest challenge and what needs more time, 'on average', to learn? What needs to be covered in more depth?
For teachers; what do they need to do, to be better teachers? What should the requirements be that they BECOME a teacher?

Im going to base my answer on college learning rather than actual beauty school training. I think in college if your learning nails i think hygiene needs to be covered more and learning more about the products they are using.
I think it should take allot to become a teacher i have come across teachers that have no passion or care of their students and i think this is a must i think within a teacher should be kind of strict ie keep going over something until student gets it right! I think they should have a certain percentage of perfectionist in them and i think before the student leaves the course they should fully make sure that the student has some kind of confidence and feels as though the course covered everything they need to know

My answers are in pink xx

About the inicial training, yes i do belive 80 hours to be suficient to get a good starting poin in ONE nail system, that you can improve by enroling on the advanced workshops later. Probably not enough to make a GOOD nail tech all at once, but i also belive you have to practise on your own and learn from your own mistakes. And that combinations of "real practise" and once in while workshops could go a long way.

The advanced workshops i described were merely examples, more could be added and the order i described them makes no diference, as i ment as if they were separate, so you could enroll in one at a time, acording to your personal needs, not having to be in one to take the next.

Last edited:
Hi. I am originally from Finland so I am Bobs long lost cousin!!! ;)

To be honest, as I permanently now live in UK, I only noticed nails coming into a street picture few years ago. They were imported there by our eastern immegrants and very sorry to say, these little street shops are very much like NSS in here. I believe that the problem with smaller countries is, it is expensive for anyone to go and train abroad into a point, where they actually are a qualified teachers. Another issue is, public who buys the product, does not have enough information, and this allows all sort of nail cowboys into the market.
If asked, what would I expect from my qualifications, I would say the updated current information. When I was doing my college, the information that I received, was not that updated, the products we used in the college, were rubbish ( cost of the kit ). I would like to see different manufacturers to add a bit spices into the education by visiting the college and telling about the opportunities in the business.
The lenght of the education is very hard to determine, but I would say if someone carries a certificate, they should have a good knowledge of different systems, even though they would only use one. I suppose that in large the education should aim to remove NSS from the market and give all the techs a good tools to take their carriers further.

I suppose that in large the education should aim to remove NSS from the market and give all the techs a good tools to take their carriers further.

Would you believe or agree, that if Education was standardized everywhere, and more theory was taught (knowledge being power), and that if Nail techs were united on an international scale, that we might have a better chance at minimizing the existence of the NSS and bettering the industry on a whole?

Let's take for example Doug's book.
How many of us are better techs after having read his book?

OR

Gigi's book.
How many more of us are better techs after reading hers?

If we had a better grasp of theory on the whole from the beginning, if we spent more time on theory before attempting the practical; would we not use our products better and make less mistakes? I know from personal experience that I would have.

SO... what if we could have a theory book that encompassed a lot of that, in addition to the basic procedures etc..
One book, that everyone could refer to, across all borders, that everyone agreed with the theory within (and there'd be no confusion with regards to eponychium and pterygium etc...)

The advanced workshops i described were merely examples, more could be added and the order i described them makes no diference, as i ment as if they were separate, so you could enroll in one at a time, acording to your personal needs, not having to be in one to take the next.

To some degree, I agree Prionace. Some things need to be learned later, after some has been truly absorbed.
And yes, there needs to be some independant practice by students outside of the classroom.
BUT the problem that often happens with that is that either A) the student can't find sufficient models B) the student is not putting sufficient effort into practicing and is given a Certificate no matter what her work is like on the practical exam.

OK V - I'll give it a shot.

My course was 150 hours long. I believe at least 30 hours should be devoted to theory. Newbies must know diseases, disorders, file technique, business management, client information, parts of the hand and feet, basic product chemistry, over exposure information, why the products work as they do...

As for practical, I believe it should be a minimum of 100 hours long. I believe they should be learning mani, pedi, l&p, wraps, file technique, primer info, ratio consistency, massage, eponychium repair, tips - application, kinds and blending, sculpture, art ....

I think Nail Structure and Product Chemistry should be added to required reading as well as Nailclass.

I think the tests should be difficult with an 80% passing grade. The industry needs to make sure its professionals know enough not to damage their clients hands and feet.

I believe that a newly minted professional should feel confident when he/she takes the exam and passes the exam and starts with his/her first client. Confident that he/she knows his/her stuff and can answer client questions with minimal hesitatation.

Sorry to blather on - I am very passionate about this issue!

I find this a hard one to answer for several reasons. having trained with many companies over the years and now having become an educator myself it is not as easy as that. There is no perfect course nor wil there ever be as in a group of students each one has their personal training goal and reason for being there. If a student carries on learning through all bands of training levels - foundation, intermediate and advanced then you will get he most out f your training as you will learn when and how to implement what was covered. I believe that what sets me apart from other educators is continued professional developement, some say its nail skill like the 3d flower teacher. so as long as we differ as to what makes a good nail tech then courses will reflect that.

As the title asks, what do YOU expect from your education?It is also diff as over the years I have never expected anything from courses as I wouldnt have known what I was embarking on - when you dont know what you are supposed to learn/know how can you make demands?

Depends on what level, how much you cover and what you constitute as more important. A good course should usually be about 30 hours at foundation to touch on the basics - whether 3hrs per wk or 5 days & exam
about haf of that time should be theory, business, testing and discussion - a little history to how the industry came about, I always do the over the counter talk
Books have been written to follow guidelines I use the encyclopedia of nails it takes them through ergonomics to diseases n disorders to anotomy & phsyiology. I add in several other books mentioned above - I love elaine almonds manicure and pedicure as I think (although dated) shows a clear way of learning D&D's
Half of class time should be practical and at least 10 hours home study. My classes have homework and case studies as I need to see at least 10 set of nails before and after pics
I dont think too much, the systems including prep, one colour overlays, p&w's and maintenance. I dont think sculpting should be taught as it is never given the appropriate class time and many educators dont like to giving the studant a bad feeling about it.
At foundation level it is very hard to mark as students are first learning to get to grips with product and have at least 52 D&D's to learn so I'm quite lenient on them and this is why I believe in CPD as I dont care how long your first sets take you as long as you do them acurateely and without damage to nat nail. I believe you should build a rapport with your school, educator and product company so In my ideal world I'll bring you back a month later and see how you're getting on - this way you see whose interested some just want to 'do nails' so off they go and some want to 'learn nails' these students begin their journeys, understand that you cant know it all and return for more learning and advance to the next level.
Competency is key at foundation, professionality and understanding at itermidiate and everything at advanced.

A conflict of interest - Scratch magazine reguarly have about 10 industry professionals commenting of various topics which I find hard to read :zzz:it doesnt help a smaller pool would be more interesting
Nothing why bombard a student with information that they cant understand until several yrs later?
An understanding that learning is lifelong, that its a journey and that you go through different stages foundation, intermediate to advanced
Thinking you know it all, becoming stagnate, being closed minded to other products, methods and trends same applies to educators!

Hope that covers it V, I'm sorry if I didnt answer your question properly but this topic is intertwinned with so much like, how good is your school, your educator etc. Unfortunetly only those who seek will find so when devising a course you have to consider all types of student as thats what you'll get in a class

I agree with what everyone else has posted. In a perfect world there would be an international standard, but since we don't live in that world the best we can do is continue to learn. I really don't think that everything to do with nails can be taught in one course. I believe that most classes will give you a foundation but it's exactly that a foundation that is ment to be built on. You can't expect to walk out of school and be a great nail tech it just does not work that way. Becoming a great nail tech take practice, practice, and more practice. You can't know everything there is to know about the art of nail enhancements because it's always changing, techniques, products, nail styles...etc... It's up to each individual to continue their education by attending classes, trade shows, reading magazines, participating on boards like this.

I really don't believe that a time frame can be put on a class because there a many variables for example how many students are in the class? the smaller the class the more one on one time with the instructor, or better yet one on one classes.

Same with theory everyone learns at a different pace, so for one person a few hours would be enough but yet someone else may need longer due to comprehension (sp) difficulties. Also everything should be covered in theory, everything to do with the business that we are in.

As far a practical I strongly feel that rebalances, breaks, cracks ect should be taught during the course. It's part of doing nails and is the bread and butter of a nail tech. (big pet peeve of mine is when you have to pay extra for this!)

The exam should be hard but not impossible, and a minimum passing grade of 75% or higher. On both theory and practical.

Local governments need more inspectors to ensure standards are kept. This is the problem in the US which does have statewide educational standards - not enough inspectors checking the safety of NSS.If we start small, offering better education, then creating standards where there are none... could this not eventually happen? A snowball effect? Say, license needs to be renewed every year (like a car) and a small fee goes towards an office for policing the nss etc......

I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that whole multiple quote thing...

We have standards in Michigan. You need 400 hours of theory and practical. You have to pass a state board exam and renew (at the cost of $24.00 yearly) your license every year or every other year. UNfortunately, this has NOT increased the amount of inspectors nor has it cut down on the amount of NSS. :irked:

Would you believe or agree, that if Education was standardized everywhere, and more theory was taught (knowledge being power), and that if Nail techs were united on an international scale, that we might have a better chance at minimizing the existence of the NSS and bettering the industry on a whole?

I wish it were that easy. I don't believe stardardized education (and I'm a huge FAN of education!!!) would have any effect on minimizing the existence of NSS.

The problem is, the NSS don't get educated. They (and I hate to generalize!) rent a shop, set up a nail business and boom, there goes the profession.

VHunter, may I ask why you think standardized education would minimize NSS? :)

Hi VHunter, now, in resonse to your question: What do you expect from your education?

I expect to learn the basics of mani/pedi, L&P, gels and whatever else is popular at the time. I expect to learn the biology of nails, diseases, etc. I expect to learn about sanitation/sterilization and how to prevent the spread of diseases.

I expect the school to provide professional products for the student to learn with. As a student, I expect my instructor to be HONEST with me. If I make a mistake or do a crap polish job, don't tell me it's fantastic. That does the student no good.

I guess the list could go on and on but this is the basics of what I expect from my education. :)

I agree with what everyone else has posted. In a perfect world there would be an international standard, but since we don't live in that world the best we can do is continue to learn.
But what if it could be done....what stops us from trying?

I really don't think that everything to do with nails can be taught in one course.
I agree,simply because there are so many different enhancement systems.
BUT what if one course was standardized in terms of foundation, and the rest just followed that.

I believe that most classes will give you a foundation but it's exactly that a foundation that is ment to be built on. You can't expect to walk out of school and be a great nail tech it just does not work that way. Becoming a great nail tech take practice, practice, and more practice.
OF COURSE... but you should be able to expect to do a half decent set of nails and from what I see, in MANY cases, this isn't so. I also think that MOST mistakes could have been avoided had there been enough theory. Know it in your head, before you try to do it. I'm learning that myself. The truth is, if I DIDN'T know as much as I did about L&P and other theory from havng read and studied so much before hand, I'd probably be making far more mistakes than I am right now.

You can't know everything there is to know about the art of nail enhancements because it's always changing, techniques, products, nail styles...etc... It's up to each individual to continue their education by attending classes, trade shows, reading magazines, participating on boards like this.
DEFINATELY... ongoing education in every industry is important. But I'm talking about where we start. If we look at the numbers of how many take courses and leave them dissatisfied... then something is definately wrong with how things are going now and they NEED to change.

I really don't believe that a time frame can be put on a class because there a many variables for example how many students are in the class? the smaller the class the more one on one time with the instructor, or better yet one on one classes.
I can agree with regards to practical. However, I disagree with theory because they can simply read and do exercise, quizzes, draw diagrams of the nail anatomy from memory, all sorts of exercises so that the theory 'sticks'. It is possible to work out an 'approximate' time frame.

Same with theory everyone learns at a different pace, so for one person a few hours would be enough but yet someone else may need longer due to comprehension (sp) difficulties. Also everything should be covered in theory, everything to do with the business that we are in.
I can't imagine a 'few' hours ever being enough.

As far a practical I strongly feel that rebalances, breaks, cracks ect should be taught during the course. It's part of doing nails and is the bread and butter of a nail tech. (big pet peeve of mine is when you have to pay extra for this!)
DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO... . far too many leave their course unable to do rebalances or repairs correctly. I did!

The exam should be hard but not impossible, and a minimum passing grade of 75% or higher. On both theory and practical.

Local governments need more inspectors to ensure standards are kept. This is the problem in the US which does have statewide educational standards - not enough inspectors checking the safety of NSS.If we start small, offering better education, then creating standards where there are none... could this not eventually happen? A snowball effect? Say, license needs to be renewed every year (like a car) and a small fee goes towards an office for policing the nss etc......

We have standards in Michigan. You need 400 hours of theory and practical. You have to pass a state board exam and renew (at the cost of $24.00 yearly) your license every year or every other year. UNfortunately, this has NOT increased the amount of inspectors nor has it cut down on the amount of NSS. :irked:
24$ a year doesn't cover the paperwork. Personally, I think it should be much higher and include insurance, but that's a whole other kettle of fish. Here in Quebec, your license has some insurance included on it.....
Many may squawk at the $$..... but long term, it would minimize the backyard barbies etc....
If someone is serious, then they'll pay it.
If we weed out backyard barbies/nss (not abolished, that's impossible, but at least decrease the numbers) then our business will grow and so will our salaries.

I wish it were that easy. I don't believe stardardized education (and I'm a huge FAN of education!!!) would have any effect on minimizing the existence of NSS.
If there was a course, (think baby steps, one step at a time) that could promote standardizing in places that there are none, and eventually require licensing where it doesn't exist...then charge yearly fees for licensing, to pay for a governing office for inspections....etc etc etc.... snowball....

The problem is, the NSS don't get educated. They (and I hate to generalize!) rent a shop, set up a nail business and boom, there goes the profession.
EXACTLY why we need to create higher standards, and get licensing pushed. A solitary individual can't accomplish it. But a group of individuals fighting for the same thing could.

VHunter, may I ask why you think standardized education would minimize NSS? :)
Because we could weed out crappy schools because gov'ts would have 'standards', and require licensing, etc...... snowball... babysteps.
Can I ask why you think it wouldn't??
IF licensing is required and a shop can be shut without it. If there is a policing office in place, that ensures that these standards are adhered to, and brought to task those that didn't tow the line....

Hi VHunter, now, in resonse to your question: What do you expect from your education?

I expect to learn the basics of mani/pedi, L&P, gels and whatever else is popular at the time. I expect to learn the biology of nails, diseases, etc. I expect to learn about sanitation/sterilization and how to prevent the spread of diseases.
I expect the school to provide professional products for the student to learn with. As a student, I expect my instructor to be HONEST with me. If I make a mistake or do a crap polish job, don't tell me it's fantastic. That does the student no good.
The problem is this: in a lot of places, and at a lot of schools THESE expectations are NOT met!!!
Hence why I want standardized education available to EVERYONE!!

I guess the list could go on and on but this is the basics of what I expect from my education. :)

What I am hearing most is in this thread is "it can't be done".
And I have to ask......... Why not?????
No one could possibly expect overnight results. That would be ridiculous.
But if a course existed, and everyone got on board and pushed it: Industry leaders, Distributors, Educators, Industry Magazines, Industry Websites... TECHNICIANS going to their local governments...
A step at a time.. pushing, educating, demanding licensing and support from the gov't in the form of policing and inspections...
It could happen. There is absolutely no reason why not!
Why shouldn't I want and expect to get an equal education, on par with those abroad? Why shouldn't it be available to me?

We want to be taken seriously. We want the NSS gone. We want offices in place to make sure no one is cheating the industry and consumers alike.
We whine about the same things every week. Why can't we make it change? Nothing there to stop us.

I don't know about you. But I detest being told I can't do something, when there's absolutely no reason why not. You might as well wave a red flag in front of a bull.

In the end, if everyone worked toward the same goal...it COULD AND CAN happen. BUT we'd actually have to take part as a group in the making the change come about, as opposed to hoping it will happen.
Look back at history... when enough people work hard enough towards a common goal, CHANGE DOES OCCUR. Proven fact.

BUT
back to my point because I've veered off track a bit here.
To those that haven't yet replied, please do. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on what you would want or expect from a course (whether or not you have taken one or not).
If you were to create your 'dream' course, how would it be run (as per the questions in the first post).

THANKS everyone!!

Latest posts

Back