What do you guys think - working from home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGordon91

Reaction score
Hi guys. So I've recently finished training as a professional nail technician. So I've been thinking of working mobile but I know a lot of people also would want the option of being able to come to you as sometimes their other half/flatmate/parents might not want or trust someone new in their house or even some like the option of being able to go to someone. That and I think it would allow me a great deal of flexibility too. Now, I have a spare room which I was thinking about kitting out but I stay in a maisonette ( it's a flat split over two levels) and I'm just wondering whether you think this would be off putting to a client ? Obviously I would greet them downstairs and bring them up. The building is well factored, cleaned on a weekly basis and I look after my own wee bit outside too. So I'm wondering what you guys think? Would I be better sticking to mobile ? Just kit it out and bring over family and friends ?

Thanks for any advice in advance guys :)

I'd say to do a mix with the aim to end up working from home.

Working from home allows you so much more time, less stress, no pressure of packing/unpacking and of course if you have a no show/cancellation you can just potter around at home getting on with making tea, tidying up etc

A mix is good to start up though as you'll appeal to a broader range of people to build your clientele up :)

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks lovely ^_^ I'm just worried cause I live in a maisonette that people might not like coming to a flat and might be put off by my area and/or the fact it's a flat. That's mostly what worries me. Do you think it could put of clients ? Or would it not matter and end up just being about my skills ?

I have worked in a salon, mobile and now work from home. There's a few factors that you have to take into consideration so I have written a post on "Where to work, salon, mobile or home" and I give the pros and cons of them all along with other posts on advertising, building a client base and many more.

If you look directly under my banner there's a tab that says "advice for therapists"

http://www.liverpoollashes.co.uk/

Hope this helps and good luck, it's a brilliant career xx

Thanks lovely ^_^ I'm just worried cause I live in a maisonette that people might not like coming to a flat and might be put off by my area and/or the fact it's a flat. That's mostly what worries me. Do you think it could put of clients ? Or would it not matter and end up just being about my skills ?

Hard to say without knowing what the area is like...

There's a block of flats local to me that I don't even like to drive past as it's rough and full of drug users... Then there's some apartments close by that are lovely with working class people living in them.

The fact of it being a block of flats wouldn't put me off but if it's a rough, run down area, it would, whether it be a terrace, semi or whatever...

Good luck, I'm sure you know yourself if it's okay, I live next door to a council estate, when I say my area I think people assume it's gonna be there but they don't decide not to come on that basis, you can only make it as pleasant as you feel necessary :)

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi thanks for the advice ^_^

I live in a decent enough area. It's mostly families that live around me and the building itself has been well kept and recently had a make over from the council. I am hoping to move but it was just for the mean time to be able to offer that service. I like my area and if I didn't live here I'd happily drive by etc. The flat is a private rent so it's also well kept too. So hopefully people will be happy enough to come here too :)

I live in a flat, it's a converted terraced house and we are on the top floor. It's never put any of my clients off, having said that I live in London and it's pretty much the norm to live in a flat or high rise apartment :) Even on mobile appointments, the majority of clients live in flats. If people want to judge you on face value for living in a flat or maisonette then do you really want those kind of clients anyway? Some of the best therapists or hairdressers I've been too live in modest surroundings :) I do a mix of mobile and home and it works really well as it gives clients the option! Good luck and go for it! Xx

I live in a flat, it's a converted terraced house and we are on the top floor. It's never put any of my clients off, having said that I live in London and it's pretty much the norm to live in a flat or high rise apartment :) Even on mobile appointments, the majority of clients live in flats. If people want to judge you on face value for living in a flat or maisonette then do you really want those kind of clients anyway? Some of the best therapists or hairdressers I've been too live in modest surroundings :) I do a mix of mobile and home and it works really well as it gives clients the option! Good luck and go for it! Xx

I live rather close to Glasgow city centre so it's sort of normal to be in a flat and very rare to be in a house. But your point is brilliant. I wouldn't want people to judge me on that when it should be on my skills. I have been told I am a friendly and warm person so they should judge me on me and my skills. I think I'll be kitting out my room then :D thanks for the positive feedback :D xx

Check with your local council if you need permission from them to run a business from home also your household insurers need to be informed as you need extra insurance for members of the public entering your premises in case of an accident. Your treatment liability insurance would not cover falls, trips ect.
Good luck

Check with your local council if you need permission from them to run a business from home also your household insurers need to be informed as you need extra insurance for members of the public entering your premises in case of an accident. Your treatment liability insurance would not cover falls, trips ect.
Good luck

Oh thank ya for that advice :) it'll not be for a wee while yet as I'll want to save for good things for it. Not rush into it. Plus I'll want to do the room up nicer as it's just beige bland and boring lol. But will defiantly keep it in mind as I work towards it xx

Hi Buff is certainly right regarding the insurance as many people do expect either their household policy or their business insurance to protect them. On the subject of insurance when you are looking round we offer cover for Nail Technicians at £33.00 a year this provides cover whether you work at home, in a clients house or in a salon, basically cover is wherever you trade in the UK. If you want more information call us on 0844 892 1602 or visit our website for information and to buy on line, I hope all goes well for you.

Latest posts

Back