What do you think of NHS discount?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also just a thought, but NHS nurses/doctors/carers in the media that are directly responsible for peoples deaths/mistreatment in hospitals/caring homes...I'd feel sick at the thought of giving these people a special discount. Just because they work for the NHS doesn't make them a saint or any more eligible for a discount than anyone else.

It's not really about who we are (NHS), it's more to do with promoting your business. Encouraging a huge workforce to know about your business and use it. It's a huge resource to tap into, why would you not use it. (Of course it should be appropriate to your business).

I like the fact NHS get discounts. We are The National Health Service. I love my job, love everyday I'm there being able to make unmeasurable differences to patients and relatives lives. Being in such a huge origination has its little benefits. It's all very reasonable.

I know lots of folk with good jobs, much higher paid than say £30,000 a year and their perks are smashing. Dinners, clients for champagne, flights here deals there. It's fab. Not once do I want to "spit the dummy out" and protest against it. For pity's sake. It's 10% that you bosses obviously think is worth it. So Thank You.

Last edited:
Completely understand it from a business point of view Pauline. Another point I want to make is (although slightly deviating) I pay my tax correctly without fail & have done since I started work but get shunned by the NHS when I visit my doctor for chronic, agonising, debilitating sacroiliac joint pain so why should I effectively pay more into it? I know the nurses who would most likely be benefitting from salon discount aren't to blame directly but I'm looking at the bigger picture here.

All in all I just think I'm bitter about the NHS :biggrin:

Completely understand it from a business point of view Pauline. Another point I want to make is (although slightly deviating) I pay my tax correctly without fail & have done since I started work but get shunned by the NHS when I visit my doctor for chronic, agonising, debilitating sacroiliac joint pain so why should I effectively pay more into it? I know the nurses who would most likely be benefitting from salon discount aren't to blame directly but I'm looking at the bigger picture here.

All in all I just think I'm bitter about the NHS :biggrin:

If you feel you are not being cared for appropriately by your GP change. I did and it made a huge difference to my life.

You have paid your NI, that's great but if you are using that to compare what about patients with very complex care needs, some largely due to there own self neglect who have never worked a day in there life, possibly generation before them doing the same, never contributing to NI but get there care needs met. That is the bigger picture.

You can't take it out on your clients that get 10% off. Very unfair.

I think to single out one sector could cause a niggling resentment in other workers, who may feel that aren't as valued by the salon owner - so they may go elsewhere.

Imo if you want to target a particular work-force why not, for example, go to your local care home and ask the manager to distribute vouchers? Those workers will feel special, and no-one else is offended.

I
:
If your present margin is 30% and you raise your prices by 10%, which many of your customers probably wouldn’t even notice. You could afford to lose 25% of your business before it impacted negatively on your profits and bottom line.
This post is brought to you by Robert Clay

with thanks from marketing wisdom

Lets look at that in real life:

Say a product/service retails at £100. It costs you £70 to implement and the £30 left over is your profit / margin. You sell 10 a week bringing in £1000, costs are £700, margin/profit is £300.

You raise the price to £110. Robert Clay says you could afford to lose 25% of your business before it impacted negatively on your profits and bottom line. 25% of 10 people is 2.5, so what 'would' happen if you lost 25% of your business (i.e. 1 in 4 customers simply stopped coming)?

7.5 x £110 = £825
Fixed costs £70 x 7.5 = £525

Profit/margin = £300

I am ALWAYS telling my staff this EVERY year when we have an annual price increase and they grumble..."Oh, we might lose Mrs Jones" or "Mrs Tightass said she wouldn't come back last year if the prices went up again" and sometimes I have even found that the staff believe the world will end if we raise the prices, but business is business.

Wish more people would see that.

I think in one way giving a discount to NHS people is a good way of giving a heads up and saying "hey thanks for being there to look after us" but having said that I've seen people in retail and mcdonalds jobs working so so hard for much less pay and I'm sure they might appreciate the discount more and from a business perspective, perhaps a discount could be the difference between someone on a lower pay having a treatment or not.

I'm not sure what side of the fence I'm on with this but I can see why it's controversial. That said, I'm glad that people who have been in or who are in the forces are given discounts because they should be rewarded and compensated for having the bravery to do what they do. Them's my thoughts anyways.

As I've already said, I don't believe it's given because of how people feel about certain work sectors, but more because of the volume of workers and potential new custom. I am happy to receive such discount in the high street too and glad that those businesses do not see it as a decision based on their personal feelings.

As an NHS worker I have got into the habit of checking my list of discount givers every now and again to see who has been added and if it's a company that I am in need of purchasing something from I will try there first.

Nobody is saying you have to give it, so if you don't want to then don't.

There is valid points on both sides i think, i'm not for nor against it.

Ugh i really don't know what to say, i can see both points in this i guess.

There is valid points on both sides i think, i'm not for nor against it.

Ugh i really don't know what to say, i can see both points in this i guess.

I know what you mean , both sides are valid points , I think it's up to the individual salons and owners x

Interesting reading this as me & my colleague were discussing it today and where else we could target to attract new clients.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I think it's a personal choice re for or against. For me I love the feeling of being able to give back. X

I too dont really have an opinion on this but wanted to add that i was in dominos earlier and they offer NHS 40% ... That is a huge saving!

I too dont really have an opinion on this but wanted to add that i was in dominos earlier and they offer NHS 40% ... That is a huge saving!

Domino's do that for the Police too. My other half won't ever claim this when ordering though, just in case someone who is preparing his pizza has a personal grudge. :Scared:

Domino's do that for the Police too. My other half won't ever claim this when ordering though, just in case someone who is preparing his pizza has a personal grudge. :Scared:
haha, don't blame him, I probably would be the same lol.

Latest posts

Back