What Exactly Is Spamming? Please Explain.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I am no computer geek by any means and all (which is not much :lol:) I do know about computers, I have learnt over the years from various helpful people. So as not to upset any applecarts in the future, could somebody please explain (in terms that I can understand :o) what spamming is? I honestly don't think I would know if I was spamming or not! To me, spam is processed tinned meat :eek: !

I had to ask on this site what a yahoo slurp spider was. I know it has something to do with a search engine, but that is about all I understand, lol. I am sure I am not the only peep who needs help re the title of this thread. Thanks.

I googled it and found this

[SIZE=-1]http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=de...lla:en-GB:official&hs=pkZ&oi=definel&defl=all[/SIZE]

PMSL Adele, are you a techno geek :lol:? May take me a while to digest. Send a search party please if I don't return, lol.

OK, I will try and explain.

Do you get junk mail through your letter box? Do you get junk emails offering you little blue pills or extra satisfaction possibilities?

If you can answer yes to either of the above then you are being spammed or hook and bait advertising is another way of putting it.

Specifically on here, if someone posts a thread offering special deals for geeks etc. then this is hook and bait advertising.

If someone sends you a PM offering you something which you have neither asked for nor shown an interest in then this is spamming your inbox.

I hope that makes sense.

its nothing to do with that meat like stuff you get in a tin that has a little key for you to remove the lid with...:lol:

You are most definitely not alone.....:hug:

I have heard it said about spamming....but to be truthful I have never really understood it...unless it is broken down into basic English I don't really get it....

I now understand it from Fiona's reply....so in other-words junk mail and other stuff I don't understand judging from Adele's post ( wasn't it easier when Spam was just gross ham? )...

But while I find junk mail irritating....I cannot find it offensive....but thats just me...:lol:

I think we will actually go round and round with this one and we have to accept that rules are rules and if they are broken by whoever, then enforcements have to be applied.

People sign up to the Salongeek and do not expect to receive junk mail, however inocuious it might be and whoever it might come from and it should be treated accordingly - equally!

I have never received any....therefore am I not worthy???? :lol:

Keep up the good work....you are obviously keeping Salongeek spam free on the whole because I can't say I have seen any....

trolls however...now I have seen them lol....( the chat room explained the troll thing for me so that's something I know...phew!! )

That's made it clear for me too. I asked my daughter last night and she explained to me but I was still none the wiser.

How would this be possible on this forum though? I can't even attach a doc through my emails on here.....unless I'm missing something. Does that mean that they would have to go through all of the members list manually? Sounds like hard work to me.xxx

Put simply, Spam is unsolicited advertsing and/or promotion and isn't allowed here. If you want to advertise, there is a method for doing so. Otherwise, leveraging the community for your financial gain is a no go area and one that can result in a ban :)

Sorry to be a pain....and I am being one....but where is the line drawn?

For instance/example.....I did a thread on the joys and delights of the bucket bag....I use that example because I did it and therefore I can't get anyone else into trouble...:lol:

in order to get the bucket bag the phone number for Sweet Sqaured was given and anyone who asked was told to ring them.

So was I inadvertantly advertising SS?

Or if someone asked for the best website to buy a product say...and I said ''Shopmart'' is the best place etc etc....that isn't advertising?

But if I posted a thread saying come to me and get your nails done for a bargain £1.00 that would be spam advertising?

Am I even close?????? :lol:

Sorry to be a pain....and I am being one....but where is the line drawn?

For instance/example.....I did a thread on the joys and delights of the bucket bag....I use that example because I did it and therefore I can't get anyone else into trouble...:lol:

in order to get the bucket bag the phone number for Sweet Sqaured was given and anyone who asked was told to ring them.

So was I inadvertantly advertising SS?

Or if someone asked for the best website to buy a product say...and I said ''Shopmart'' is the best place etc etc....that isn't advertising?

But if I posted a thread saying come to me and get your nails done for a bargain £1.00 that would be spam advertising?

Am I even close?????? :lol:

hun, unless you work for SS then no its not against the rules as you personally wont be making a financial gain.

So you can start a thread saying bucket bags are great...but anyone from SS cant...although they can post on a thread already started by a non SS member saying they are great.

anything that stands to make YOU any money is advertising....anything you send to someone via PM/email thats wasn't asked for/about is spamming....(touting for business)...bit like cold callers at your door trying to flog you windows and you didn't invite them. :)

The difference with the Bucket Bag is that the thread starter (you) don not have a financial interest in the bag. But if I started a thread bestowing the virtues of the freaking thing, it would be deleted and I would get an infraction.

Is it a perfect system? Nope. But it sure keeps loads of crap off the forums (and I mean LOADS).

I once worked for a really great (if unusual) man who was a millionaire by the time he was 30 - totally self made from nothing. He became a leader and pioneer in his field, he paid very well and ran a very tight ship. He was not a great lover of 'legal stuff' but liked clear rules.

Anyway he had a wonderful saying, as follows:-

This is my bus, I am the owner, driver, mechanic and conductor. If you want to travel on my bus, you buy a ticket, sit where you are allowed, enjoy the ride and renew your season ticket as often as you want.

If you don't like the seat, don't want to get on and off at the designated times, are not prepared to travel the route I am taking - then just get off.

I think this is the point. There are rules, they are there for all to see. If in doubt ask a mod. If you don't agree and it is an issue - get off the bus. To me it really is a simple as that.

The way I see it (on this forum in particular) is that spamming to me comes across as someone who is constantly pushing their product whether they sell it or distribute it. Always banging on about it why you hould stock it and its better than xyz brands. There is a certain skincare brand that makes me want to scream everytime I see it typed :irked::evil: wouldn't mind if it wasn't the distributor that is the one posting about it !!!

There's a lot of that going on. The worst ones are the one that come on here and contibute nothing in the way of advice or help, yet use this forum solely as a way to promote their biz. There are a few people who's posts tell everyone how brilliant their training was at X school......but they fail to mention that they actually own the training school. They must think we're all stupid.

The way I see it (on this forum in particular) is that spamming to me comes across as someone who is constantly pushing their product whether they sell it or distribute it. Always banging on about it why you hould stock it and its better than xyz brands. There is a certain skincare brand that makes me want to scream everytime I see it typed :irked::evil: wouldn't mind if it wasn't the distributor that is the one posting about it !!!

There's a lot of that going on. The worst ones are the one that come on here and contibute nothing in the way of advice or help, yet use this forum solely as a way to promote their biz. There are a few people who's posts tell everyone how brilliant their training was at X school......but they fail to mention that they actually own the training school. They must think we're all stupid.

If that is the case then why not let a mod know ?

If I want to advertise my business on here I have to pay - same rules for everyone (as it should be) means that I wouldn't hesitate - its not a matter of tittle tattle it is keeping an even playing field for all..............................Folds up soap box - yet again

Thanks for explaining. I think I'll stick to the tinned stuff, lol.

If that is the case then why not let a mod know ?

If I want to advertise my business on here I have to pay - same rules for everyone (as it should be) means that I wouldn't hesitate - its not a matter of tittle tattle it is keeping an even playing field for all..............................Folds up soap box - yet again

I agree with Adele here. If you know that someone has posted a thread who has a financial gain then please do let us know. We do not know everything about everyone and may not know that the person posting is the owner of the company for example.

Latest posts

Back