What file and buffer grit do you use for Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Just wondering if everyone uses a file or buffer to remove shine before removal of gelish?

Also after removal, is everyone buffing nail and if so with what grit buffer?

I have been given different information from different sources and wanted to check???

I was taught to use the 100 side of the gelish 100/180 grit buffer x

That's what I was taught too x

Thanks for your replies.

So that would be the rougher side of the 100/180 buffer. I was told you should never use anything less than 180 on the natural nail and even then told that you should use the 220/280 buffer on the natural nail and the 100 side of the 100/180 buffer only to remove shine before removal. In my experience the 220/280 and sometimes even 180 buffer isn't strong enough to smooth the surface from any remaining product.

I use the 100 grit side to remove the topcoat of the gel. This isn't directly on the natural nail and you only file the top layer of gel off so all ok.

I use an older (softer) white buffing block to remove shine gently. If you are soaking your product off correctly there really shouldn't be any residue or remaining product left. If there is you should probably rewrap that nail or rub over it with a cotton pad soaked in remover.

Hope that helps. x

The side you use to buff is the side of the file which has the harmony logo on! I think that may be the 180 side actually. Can't remember sorry but it's def the logo side as that's how I was taught to remember x

Yes actually the logo side is the softer 180 grit side and I've actually just made a mental note of how to remember this which is great.

I was told to use the 180/180 grit file to mattify the gelish before removal, I have since tried the 100 grit buffer but I don't know if it doesn't break the seal enough for remover to penetrate.

Yes I definitely need to resolve this problem with there being some product left on nails after removal - it's an ongoing saga for me.

Hi,

Why not try no buffing at all!

I never buff natural nail before application and I never buff gel before removal.

Myself and clients get 3 weeks from a set with no chips 99% of the time.

Removal without buffing is just as fast and comes off easily every time.

Give it a try on your own nails if your nervous about trying it on clients, but sure you will have no problems.

Jo xx

Hi,

I never buff natural nail before application and I never buff gel before removal.

Give it a try on your own nails if your nervous about trying it on clients, but sure you will have no problems.

Jo xx

I applied the Gelish without buffing and it stuck very well, but when I came to remove it was sooo hard - I'm thinking I had to much foundation on and maybe the layers were a little thick - first time I had applied - I normally wear Shellac x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I find removing gelish without any buffing practically impossible. Shellac it's done I never buff before removal and the product just dissolves and wipes off but when I remove gelish I need to buff the whole nail with a 180 and then wrap for 15 mins and some nails I re wrap. X

Hi,

Jo xx

I'm with you Jo. I don't ever buff anything. All goes on, lasts and comes off easy peasy. Buffing is a waste of valuable time in my opinion.

I'm with you Jo. I don't ever buff anything. All goes on, lasts and comes off easy peasy. Buffing is a waste of valuable time in my opinion.

I agree MM I never buff either. Not before and not when removing :)

The only time I would lightly buff is if the client had slight delamination on the free edge, I would just remove that with my buffer.

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for the replies.

Do those of you who don't buff the nail before application still use the ph bond?

I had tried one finger without buffing prior to removal, it was strange initially it didn't come off easily but the after I went to lightly buff on top it did. I might have to give it another go.

Do you find you get a clean removal without the buffing?

Those of you who don't buff is this using nourishing remover or acetone and how long are you taking to do a removal and re-application?

Thanks.

Hi,

Jo xx

So if you don't file the gel when you are removing it what do you do to take the product down?

Latest posts

Back