what is the exact wattage for IBD gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariaaland

Reaction score
i have been told and have been using 6 watt and today someone else told me 9 watt. what is the true story
/

i thought it was 9watt hun???? not sure tho im sure someone will know xxx

ariaaland said:
i have been told and have been using 6 watt and today someone else told me 9 watt. what is the true story
/

my small ibd gel lamp is 8 watt 2x 4 watt bulbs and my large ibd lamp is 2x 8 watt bulbs hth

so what the heck have i been doing:smack: all this time. i guess i need a thump on the head. (weirdly enough they (ibd) worked with the 6 watt lamp.. guess its time to get with the programme and get the proper lamp. i feel so stupid :irked:

ariaaland said:
so what the heck have i been doing:smack: all this time. i guess i need a thump on the head. (weirdly enough they (ibd) worked with the 6 watt lamp.. guess its time to get with the programme and get the proper lamp. i feel so stupid :irked:

there is one going cheep on ebay at the mo it got one day left, i would sujest you replace the bulbs though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBD-NAIL-UVLIGHT-UNIT-AND-ACCESSORIES_W0QQitemZ9529506667QQcategoryZ106375QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is no such thing as the right and wrong lamp overall...only the right or wrong lamp for the system, so before you go spending your pennies, you need to check out exactly what you are supposed to use.

If your manufacturer supplied you with a lamp, thne there's a very good chance that that is the lamp you need to use. It is always good practice to go with the lamp designed for that system, as difference in wattage and UV output can all cause different issues in curing if not using the correct levels.

There are a couple of very good threads on here from the past on this subject and you would find some good info on a search

Try this one to start...

http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/28284-question-about-gels-please.html

ariaaland said:
the wattage of the bulb only gives an indication of the amount of energy consumed, it's the UV Output that denotes the curing etc....
this is why it's so important to have the correct lamp/bulbs for your particular gel.

I know it seems that I'm quite anal when it comes to gel lamps/bulbs etc but it's extremely important when you consider that by using a different lamp/bulbs to the one recommended for your gel system you are running the risk of undercuring the gel and therefore increasing the chances of overexposure, you could end up with service breakdown, exothermic reaction (heat spike) etc etc.

UV Lamp, Difference in products is an interesting thread, read what Doug Schoon and Sam have written and it will all become clear, although, as you're aware, some people disagree, the facts are all there!

ValencianNails said:
the wattage of the bulb only gives an indication of the amount of energy consumed, it's the UV Output that denotes the curing etc....
this is why it's so important to have the correct lamp/bulbs for your particular gel.

I know it seems that I'm quite anal when it comes to gel lamps/bulbs etc but it's extremely important when you consider that by using a different lamp/bulbs to the one recommended for your gel system you are running the risk of undercuring the gel and therefore increasing the chances of overexposure, you could end up with service breakdown, exothermic reaction (heat spike) etc etc.

UV Lamp, Difference in products is an interesting thread, read what Doug Schoon and Sam have written and it will all become clear, although, as you're aware, some people disagree, the facts are all there!

You are certainly NOT anal about this Sandi, and one of the most knowledgeable geeks on here re this (and many other things!). Funnily enough I went searching for some of your better explanations to put in as a link in my thread above!

Have you thought about doing an article on UV lamps - I'm sure you could do a fab one!

thanks Lyndsay :hug: I'm sure I could do an article on UV lamps, it's something that I'm quite passionate about, might take a few days though as I'm busy until next week xx

Latest posts

Back