What makes a good business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my clients was talking about haircuts today. She was going to try the salon I go to. I said I was annoyed as they don't have a card machine. She said "that's ridiculous. I'm not going there then".

But the cash point is just down the road :p

When I worked from home, I never had a card machine...not a problem...but that was because I was doing lovely loyal client's that I'd known for years, and they were happy to pay by cash or cheque.....
When I opened my salon, there was no question I wouldn't be offering card payment....
Mainly because my bank manager insisted!!!! :rolleyes:
To be fair, as old and farty as I might be, I can acknowledge the need to get with it!:p
Today's Client EXPECT'S it!
They want the convenience of card transactions..... and THEY WILL SPEND MORE......:D
I find it easier to manage the finances - no cash in till means I can't spend it!!!!
Also, and best of all, I feel so much SAFER in the shop without a till full of notes. :cool:

I had a card machine from my home salon but clients were often surprised that I did but I think that as soon as you become a premises you have to make spending money as easy as possible x

I'm currently trying to book to have microdermabrasion done. Nobody replies to their emails! I'm getting really frustrated with it, it puts me off going to them. Which is limiting the salons that offer the treatment haha.

I'm currently trying to book to have microdermabrasion done. Nobody replies to their emails! I'm getting really frustrated with it, it puts me off going to them. Which is limiting the salons that offer the treatment haha.

Do they not answer your phone calls?

Great thread, I changed my card machine so I now take American Express too as standard so clients can save thier air miles. I have a self serve free drinks machine in waiting room disposable cups with lids so they can take it on the run with them as so many have busy lives. I have a pot of different magnifying glasses so they can still complete consent forms if they've forgotten thier glasses ( just a selection from Wilkos) I have a sweetie drawer they can have a mint from complimentary. I have a " docking" station in my waiting room so they can charge thier phones if need be while waiting. In my treatment room I have a colour changing LED bulb they can focus on, my treatments can be uncomfortable. The pens they complete thier consent forms with are branded with my business and website they can have complimentary too. I am always looking to improve the experience too not just the treatments.

A beauty salon that I have used. And would use again. Uses Phorest. Unfortunately Phorest booking system doesn't seem to work on my phone and iPad...

So now, it's too much of a hassle to book with them. I'll go else where.

Another salon where a friend works don't have their prices. Or a booking system on their website. So I'm constantly asking my friend how much this that or the other would be. And don't ever get round to booking.

Another beauty lady near me took a day off last week. I heard 7 people complain it was closed without a note. Her times are on her leaflets she hands out. Which is no good if she's not there!

Do they not answer your phone calls?
Because of being at work, I'm not able to make personal calls and by the time I've finished work etc, I've usually forgotten or it's too late to call. But in my opinion, they shouldn't offer an email address to contact if they aren't going to check their emails.

Because of being at work, I'm not able to make personal calls and by the time I've finished work etc, I've usually forgotten or it's too late to call. But in my opinion, they shouldn't offer an email address to contact if they aren't going to check their emails.

I always worry I don't check my emails enough. Some come through to my phone. But unfortunately not all!

I emailed a salon 3 weeks ago for a spray tan. Never got a reply. I booked over the phone last week for a massage, and got in straight away. I never mentioned the email but they still haven't replied!
On another note, I'm reading the benefits of a card machine you've all put on here. Every time I go out I check somewhere has a card machine first.
I rent a small room within a unit of businesses. I don't make much money and know I would struggle paying for landline rental & wifi. There is a cafe within our units that offers free wifi. Would it be worth me getting a wifi extender and hooking up to that so I can get a card machine and use the cafe wifi?? We have 3G & 4G but I can't get on my banking app with those, I need a proper wifi connection.
What sort of % does a card machine take, would I notice a loss in earnings? I'm literally living to the penny with my monthly expected earnings and can't afford to lose anything! Thanks ladies X

Editing as just had a thought-If I can simply connect to wifi and so can my clients then surely I could just use pingit? Funds would then be straight to my account without the worry of buying a card machine and it taking %?
I know a girl who's mobile who uses pingit but not sure how she gets on-she must have to connect to people's wifi??

Last edited:
I emailed a salon 3 weeks ago for a spray tan. Never got a reply. I booked over the phone last week for a massage, and got in straight away. I never mentioned the email but they still haven't replied!
On another note, I'm reading the benefits of a card machine you've all put on here. Every time I go out I check somewhere has a card machine first.
I rent a small room within a unit of businesses. I don't make much money and know I would struggle paying for landline rental & wifi. There is a cafe within our units that offers free wifi. Would it be worth me getting a wifi extender and hooking up to that so I can get a card machine and use the cafe wifi?? We have 3G & 4G but I can't get on my banking app with those, I need a proper wifi connection.
What sort of % does a card machine take, would I notice a loss in earnings? I'm literally living to the penny with my monthly expected earnings and can't afford to lose anything! Thanks ladies X

Editing as just had a thought-If I can simply connect to wifi and so can my clients then surely I could just use pingit? Funds would then be straight to my account without the worry of buying a card machine and it taking %?
I know a girl who's mobile who uses pingit but not sure how she gets on-she must have to connect to people's wifi??
Instead of getting a landline machine you could get a GPS one (if you have sufficient signal), they're more money monthly so you'll have to weigh it up vs getting broadband etc.
Prob looking at £30ish a month rental for a GPS machine plus around 20p for every transaction.

I don't know many terminals that actually use WiFi. They normally have to be plugged into phone line or the broadband router. Wi-Fi I think isn't secure enough to host a payment connection. With a card machine you should be able to gradually increase clients spending so it will pay for itself.

I've never used pingit personally but I hate anything that's faffing around. For me a standard terminal or don't bother.

Instead of getting a landline machine you could get a GPS one (if you have sufficient signal), they're more money monthly so you'll have to weigh it up vs getting broadband etc.
Prob looking at £30ish a month rental for a GPS machine plus around 20p for every transaction.

I don't know many terminals that actually use WiFi. They normally have to be plugged into phone line or the broadband router. Wi-Fi I think isn't secure enough to host a payment connection. With a card machine you should be able to gradually increase clients spending so it will pay for itself.

I've never used pingit personally but I hate anything that's faffing around. For me a standard terminal or don't bother.
Thanks BP, I was getting confused with the whole phone line/wifi connection then.
I'll have a look, I know what you mean about faffing around! None of my customers expect me to have a machine I don't think as I'm on my own in a little beauty room, definitely worth looking into, Thankyou

I love the idea of putting how they take their drinks on a record card, what a lovely, thoughtful little touch!
I used to visit a salon and have waxing done. When I was laying on the bed, there was nothing to do other than to look for imperfections on the ceiling/walls, of which there were plenty! I hate seeing cobwebs around - they just make the place look and feel dirty. It doesn't take much to remove them. Grubby fingerprints on walls as well, makes me cringe!
I don't think I'd be able to justify having a card machine for a while after getting started although I've not looked into cost etc but I do agree, it definitely makes life easier, for both parties.
I will be mobile and I have a summerhouse in my garden to work in, once it's all completed and I'm up and running. Because of being mobile, it must make the nice little touches like tea/coffee etc more difficult?
customer-oriented business may all the time hold the competitive edge.

Latest posts

Back