What makes you fab

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skill and high standards at the job is of course absolutely essential.

A strong confidence and knowledge base is absolutely essential.

But apart from those things, I really know that it actually takes a specific type of person to do well as a nail technician. Like it takes a specific type of personality to be a good and dedicated nurse.

Dedication is a good word.
So is Vocation as doing nails is a vocation ... you must be there for your clients and sincerely be there for them.

NO one can fake this essential sincerity and clients can spot the 'fake' attitude a mile away.

Those who go into our profession just for the money they think is there for easy taking are SO not going to ever make it in this business.

This is from a very old post but thought it might be worth posting again.

Is it easy to be a nail technician?
For some yes and for some definitely not. If you are already an artistic person then the mechanics could prove easier for you BUT... there's always a but ....

There is more to being a great nail technician than just being able to turn out good nails or nice to your clients (although this is very important). Here are a few thing to think about:

:) Doing nails is not for the timid personality or the faint hearted ... you need to be able to be strong and firm with people.

:) Doing nails needs a person with an empathetic nature, one who cares for and about people.

:) Doing nails is a business, and a good business head is essential if you want to be financially successful.

:) Doing nails requires self sacrifice and a vocational attitude as you need to be there when and if your clients want you. Staying in late and going in early etc.

:) Doing nails is not a fun little hobby ... it is a profession and should not be done by amateurs but only by professionals in the true sense of the word (look it up in the dictionary ... interesting).

:) Doing nails requires a great sense of responsibility. We work on people's bodies. They trust us to work safely and to nurture and care for their natural nails while they are wearing nail enhancements.

:) Doing nails requires integrity (as should everything) and good business ethics. Business ethics is something allot of newbie technicians know nothing about in the UK ... thinking they can use someone Else's good will ... work in a salon and then leave trying to poach business from the very salon that hired them and helped them in the first place.

:) Doing nails is one of the greatest most fun and rewarding and satisfying businesses in the world. Enjoy your learning but realize that the learning process never stops ... you will know when you are ready because you will feel confident to make that start.

I too think it is conversation and rapor with clients. I make them feel at ease and comfortable, make them a bru and get chatting but always make sure they are happy with my work.

Me too, I agree, whilst the service you provide is very important its also extremely important that you make your client feel at ease. I've recently taken on a new client who said she went to a salon and the young Nail Tech didn't say hardly anything to her for an hour and a half which made her feel awkward, she said she didn't feel the Nail Tech had any enthusiasm, drive or passion and just ran down her boss and couldn't wait until 5.30pm when she would be out the door. My client then vowed never to go to another salon again, but to find someone mobile or who worked for themselves at least. This is not the first time someone has said this to me either!

I care first and foremost.

I only use the best products that I believe 150% in if they start to fail they go

I give my best to each and every customer

I am honest and have integrity

I have ensured that my brochures and cards etc are all of a very high quality as I wasnt people to see that I am professional and care

Latest posts

Back