What part of hairdressing do you struggle with most?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dee

supernatural geek
Reaction score
cambridge,ON canada .. but originally from uk , lo
just sat thinking and wondering what everyone else struggled / still struggles with ..
for me its colour :Scared: as i dont do much it scares the pants off me .. my mind is forever whizzing with thoughts of undertones , what goes with what , color wheels , lol
i analyse everything when i think of color

is there a simpler way to understand it ?

give me a pair of scissors , perm rod ,updo , anything and i will be ok but i just struggle with color , and it frustrates me to death ...

am going on a few courses this yr to try get my self into it a bit more , have already done about a years worth or watching online training through my hairdressers. com / scissor boy etc..

can anyone tell me how they nailed colouring ?

All natural hair has undertones. These generally depend on how light or dark the hair is naturally. As a general rule it runs like this;

1 Black- undertone blue/red/orange/yellow
3-5 undertone red/orange/yellow
6-7 undertone orange/yellow
8-10 undertone yellow

when you are lifting, the undertones show. these depend on the level you lift to. For instance if youi lift a 6 to a nine, the unertone that will show is yellow. If you lift a 4 to a 6 you will show orange.

If you are lightening, you may want to disguise the undertones, and you do this by using the opposing tone on the colour wheel.
eg, you are lifting a 3 to a 5, it will show a red undertone, so to get a neutral 5, you adda green based tonal colour, such as majirel 5.7

If you are darkening, the undertone of the level you are darkening to is your prepig colour. EG for level 6 you prepig orange.

I hope some of that made sense.

please Dawn, will you run a course for us colour thicko's?:biggrin: maybe do a video - i'd buy it through your website.

That was brilliant, thanks so much for that

thank you dawn you are a star , :biggrin: i do understand about the undertones somewhat , lol
but i think i get more scared at knowing how the color will come out , i sit there thinking omg its gonna be awful :Scared: its more so when you have a client thats had all sorts on their hair i get soo confused , lol ..

u deffo should run courses or make dvds you are so good at color it would be fab to have you teaching us , lol

You WILL get to the stage that you know how a colour will turn out before you even start applying it. Normal colouring (not correction work) is very predictable if you are using a good brand.
At some point I'l get around to doing some youtube vids, and i'l put them up. In the meantime I'm always here for colour questions xx

oooh dawn i love you !! :hug: ure a true star xx

Yotube vids!! What a great idea, there are so many nail vids on youtube and no hair ones (not pro ones anyway). That would be so amazing I think you would get so many requests and hits on there! Looking forward to it, oh and to the OP, the thing I get most nervouse about is that the client doesnt like the hair but is too imbarrised to say anything. Not that it has gone wrong as such but the feeling that they see it after and think its not as nice as ive had it before, or they have changed their mind about what they wanted etc. This happens with new clients, or clients who have had a whole new look, eg, blonde to brown, for example! But I also get it with nails, that the clients are going to ring me and tell me they hate the nails and want them taken off, or that all the nails have lifted or something has gone wrong. I also worry before I do a colour correction or change that they will change their minds half way through, or hate it and then blame me for letting them do it. x

Yotube vids!! What a great idea, there are so many nail vids on youtube and no hair ones (not pro ones anyway). That would be so amazing I think you would get so many requests and hits on there! Looking forward to it, oh and to the OP, the thing I get most nervouse about is that the client doesnt like the hair but is too imbarrised to say anything. Not that it has gone wrong as such but the feeling that they see it after and think its not as nice as ive had it before, or they have changed their mind about what they wanted etc. This happens with new clients, or clients who have had a whole new look, eg, blonde to brown, for example! But I also get it with nails, that the clients are going to ring me and tell me they hate the nails and want them taken off, or that all the nails have lifted or something has gone wrong. I also worry before I do a colour correction or change that they will change their minds half way through, or hate it and then blame me for letting them do it. x
If you get your consultation right this won't happen. If they are unhappy, you can read their body language, and maybe change course.

It hasnt actualy ever happened, its just anxiouse thaughts in my head lol. I sometimes think I care a bit too much! xx

All natural hair has undertones. These generally depend on how light or dark the hair is naturally. As a general rule it runs like this;

1 Black- undertone blue/red/orange/yellow
3-5 undertone red/orange/yellow
6-7 undertone orange/yellow
8-10 undertone yellow

when you are lifting, the undertones show. these depend on the level you lift to. For instance if youi lift a 6 to a nine, the unertone that will show is yellow. If you lift a 4 to a 6 you will show orange.

If you are lightening, you may want to disguise the undertones, and you do this by using the opposing tone on the colour wheel.
eg, you are lifting a 3 to a 5, it will show a red undertone, so to get a neutral 5, you adda green based tonal colour, such as majirel 5.7

If you are darkening, the undertone of the level you are darkening to is your prepig colour. EG for level 6 you prepig orange.

I hope some of that made sense.

Wow that makes a lot of stuff clear in my head persianista thankyou so much. :)

Latest posts

Back