What percentage to pay beauty student??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashell

Reaction score
hello,

i am looking for some advice if anyone can help,
i started my own little business in beauty and nails around 3 months ago which is within a residental home, i am slowley building my clients up but especially this month it has been very slow, at the same time as starting my new venture i found out that i was pregnant, which was very unexpected but all very excited now, so my problem is i was planning to really set things off work wise and hopefully be pretty busy next year however obvousley i cant because i will have a new born baby along with my other 4 children lol, and childcare isant really an option, so i thought about getting someone in to help me, ive met a young girl who is still at college but has allready done level 2 beauty and will finish level 3 in june 2012, so we have spoke about her working a friday and possibly a saturday as these are not day i would usually work any way, and this way im hoping to save some of my clients from drifting away when i am away for a month or so, when the baby is due, i then hope to go back very part time a couple of days/hours a week to do my regulars and any other clients to book in on a friday with my new girl, thing is i dont know what to charge etc,,, we agreed on a self employed basis as i cant pay her a wage, but im not sure what to agree on, she has no client base at all yet but i will do my best to help build it for her, also i im suppling all products etc,, she will just turn up and do the treatments, so i was thinking 40/60 ,, the 60% to me, do u think this is fair?????
i did think it sounded a little high at first but i was trying to weigh out cost to cover products etc,, and also my rent i will be paying for the days she is there, and i need to atleast be covering my my out goings and if business is very slow it wont be much any way,,,
any advice please would be great .

any advice please ? :eek:

Ok heres my thoughts... she is only a student so has no industry experience... and you are passing over your client base to her.

I think you are taking a huge risk on your reputation with her lack of experience I would want my equal in someone I take on.

Next... why self employment basis? Really you are handing over your whole business to her and theres nothing to stop her not giving it back!

Why not when you are off concentrate your work into 1/2 days and hire an experienced professional to work for you... re affording it just pay them out of your takings for the day? Surely would be more profitable anyways?

Put a contract in place so they cant take your business! Discuss and inform the residential home you will have someone working for you but it will still be your business and that you will be back this is only a temporary arrangement... basically dont make it easy for someone else to take yor customers/business.

Talk to the customers and let them know whats going on and let them know you will be back.

I may be just a little ultra cautious based on previou experience but when you get a good wee business going and it sounds like you are we don't want to just hand it over!

as for the student wanting 40/60 :lol: I admire her ability to drive a good deal but no way would I agree to that

I agree with the above. I would really worry that she would take all my clients. I found out I was expecting my third baby not long after I set my business up. I explained to all my clients that I would be having 6 weeks off and then would be back working evenings and weekends. Thankfully, everybody understood and was very supportive. I didn't loose a single client. I seen them all the few weeks before I went off and booked them all in again for when I came back. My little boy went to nursery 2 mornings a week from 4 months. It all worked out really well. Good luck and all the best with your baby.

thank you both very much for your reply :)
i have definatley taken all of this into consideration already, as i also had these concearns.
the room i rent is soley mine and the manager completley understands that this new girl is only there 1 to 2 days per week with no say in the business at all, and only to work as her appointments are booked.
i will be straight back to work after the birth but will be cutting my hours down quite alot but then my days are never completley full with clients over the 4 days i do at the moment any way so my plan was to carry on with all my regular ladies over say 2 days per week and for my new girl to build up (with my help), her own client base for her 2 days per week, starting with special offers for the residents and her family and friends to build her salon experience up, and even when i am not there i will be very involved.
i in no way plan to just hand the keys over and leave her to it :eek:,
even though she seams lovely, i too have learned from past experience that people will stab you in the back no matter how nice they can seam,

ps,,the 40/60 was my idea and i havent put that to her yet,as i hadnt made my mind up, but what would you offer????

thankyou xx

Latest posts

Back