What product could it have been?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I had a client come for re-shellac ( I had not applied initial shellac) anyway I have not been using cnd wraps just acetone on cotton wool and cling film wrapped tightly around...now I had it on them for 10 minutes which turned into 15/20 25 etc The stuff just would NOT COME OFF!

I have heard that there are FAKE shellac bottles out there that look exactly like the reall thing and as far as she was concerned she said it was the same thing.....I know if you use remover wraps from cnd this would be ideal but to be honest I can't for the life of me think the cotton wool way would not be about the same but this stuff would not come off. There was actually a little colour still on the nail plate even after i had smoothed out as much as I could..................I am soooooooooooo confused as to what to do in a situation like this as it took me 1 1/2 to remove and re-do because of this extra 40 minutes of removal .....what would you do and how do you know its not shellac?? (bar the fact that it wouldnt come off)

Thanks

Could it have been a gel polish but a buff off? Don't really know the ins and outs of the varying systems sorry hun xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH0UyEwieQA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I made This video to be shared with clients through Facebook , web sites or you tube to show them what to look for in there shellac treatment, feel free to share,

If it wasn't comming off it was probably fake shellac , most gel polishes soak off to after a touch with the file to remove the shine of the top coat .
I've found with the local fake shellacs here they have been using your standard buff off colored gel , this is an issue as it's so thin to the nail you have to file it off really reallly carefully,
Dunno if using cling film with acetone is a grate idea ,Most use foil.

Last edited:
I have heard that there are FAKE shellac bottles out there that look exactly like the reall thing and as far as she was concerned she said it was the same thing.....

Eden, welcome to the unscrupulous world of "Shellac." I put quotes around it for a reason. Unscrupulous businesses and nail professionals are marketing other products as Shellac because that is the most recognized name in non-traditional polish products. If I had a nickel for every client that came in to have her "Shellac" removed and it turned out to be Gelish, Gelac, Axxium etc., well, I'd have about $10 right about now.

With all the layering options available, it's harder and harder to recognize what is Shellac and what isn't. I know there are alot of people who will disagree with me, but I stand by my decision: If I didn't apply it, I'm buffing the shine off of it before I apply the remover wraps.

Totally agree with gr8nailz. I do exactly the same, if I didn't apply it I buff off the shine first!

Totally agree with gr8nailz. I do exactly the same, if I didn't apply it I buff off the shine first!

So do I now after gr8nailz suggested it after I had exactly the same problem as the OP x

It is unfortunate to feel as if we NEED to buff the shine, I know. That goes against what TRUE SHELLAC is all about. But with so many nail salons and unprofessional nail techs out there faking it, neither I nor my clients want to waste time messing around. Buffing the shine off the product does no damage to the natural nail and it ensures the product comes off in about 15 minutes rather than 25-30.

It is unfortunate to feel as if we NEED to buff the shine, I know. That goes against what TRUE SHELLAC . Buffing the shine off the product does no damage to the natural nail and it ensures the product comes off in about 15 minutes rather than 25-30.

The stuff I have been coming up Agenst is NOT a soak off , buffing then soaking was a waste of time I had to file the lot off!

I also do Gelish witch I can remove very quickly in about 15 minutes , buffing that is a quick once over with a koala or white block and then soak, quick and easy...

Not at all like the cr*p I've been seeing.

Not at all like the cr*p I've been seeing.

Mizzy, I've seen some really thick stuff come through, too. I've actually had to take my efile to it. I thought it was Axxium at first but even Axxium comes off easier than this stuff did. I figure it was some knock off from China, which makes it even worse. We have no idea what we're dealing with.

Mizzy, I've seen some really thick stuff come through, too. I've actually had to take my efile to it. I thought it was Axxium at first but even Axxium comes off easier than this stuff did. I figure it was some knock off from China, which makes it even worse. We have no idea what we're dealing with.

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANNOYING!!! I went on a shellac attack course in London Last week and I was SHOCKED to hear that not only is there FAKE shellac but it is in exactly the same bottles etc so what chance have we got eh!

I only charged her £5 extra for the soak off as it was not my original application but with 40 minutes of my wasted time I am needing to reconsider this.

Latest posts

Back