what shall I do for my fish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuise.e

Reaction score
:o Ok I know this isn't a vets site - but I really don't know what to do:o

I've got fan tailed coldwater fish in a biorb - had it for 3 years and fish have come & gone - but one of the older ones is in a right state. I did a complete water change on Tuesday (usually i just change the filter) but it was a bit murky down at the bottom and I got some new media (the stones at the bottom)I left 2 buckets of water overnight ready to go in and treated it with aquarium start up. So moved the fish in their own water to a bucket ( i keep 3 buckets just for fish so they don't get contaminated) and cleaned the tank put the treated water back in, followed by the fish an hour later.
Well today one fish is bent completley in half and can't lift his head up and i really don't know what to do,the other fish keep nudging him & biting him - he is alive - he jst looks like he has been broken. he was ok when I put him in, but I don't know if I damaged him.
shall I put him out of his misery:sad: :sad: or leave him suffering to see if he gets better????
I can't believe I'm upset over a flippin goldfish!!

Suzie.e said:

I've got fan tailed coldwater fish in a biorb - had it for 3 years and fish have come & gone - but one of the older ones is in a right state. I did a complete water change on Tuesday (usually i just change the filter) but it was a bit murky down at the bottom and I got some new media (the stones at the bottom)I left 2 buckets of water overnight ready to go in and treated it with aquarium start up. So moved the fish in their own water to a bucket ( i keep 3 buckets just for fish so they don't get contaminated) and cleaned the tank put the treated water back in, followed by the fish an hour later.
Well today one fish is bent completley in half and can't lift his head up and i really don't know what to do,the other fish keep nudging him & biting him - he is alive - he jst looks like he has been broken. he was ok when I put him in, but I don't know if I damaged him.
shall I put him out of his misery:sad: :sad: or leave him suffering to see if he gets better????

awwwwwwwww bless i wish i could help, my bro keeps fish and i know it can be
one min they are ok next....looking dodgy.....keep your eye on him if hes ok tomorrow ring the local fish shop for advice. If in doubt and he's really really suffereing......think i would have to grab hubby to do the decent thing:cry: awww thats why i hate animals i hate loosing them

good luck
AMB X

:lol: well, my hubby says I'm not only a serial snail killer (ran over a whole family of snails when putting my car in the garage:eek: ) but a serial fish killer as well. The story starts with my 40th birthday - he bought me a minnow cube with four white mountain minnows in it. He had ordered it over the internet and when it arrived the fish were fine but the cube was cracked! So rescue remedy - open top pyrex dish!

I decided that until I received a replacement minnow cube I would put the minnow cube on my kitchen shelf above the radiator (where my mop and bucket had been stragically placed for several days:lol: :lol: )

I fed and nurtured my fish everyday and THEN one day I noticed one was missing????????? what on earth had happened to it? couldn't find it anywhere.

So of course being a proud and tidy housewife I decided to mop the kitchen floor - squeezed the mop out and there with its huge eye in the squidgey mop bucket was the fish:eek: 1 down 3 to go :lol: Shortley after the untimely death, the replacement minnow cube arrived with another four fish - great I have SEVEN fish now - but not for long:lol: :lol: I move my 3 pyrex fish into the minnow cube and GUESS WHAT they die IMMEDIATELY:eek: OMG I've stressed them out and now instead of seven I have four - hope you are keeping up with this So out of the blue another set of minnows arrive with Dave the postie. Not ours we say but the address on the label is correct so in the end we accept. Two minnow cubes side by side living happily UNTIL I decide that the water is murky - and yes you have guessed right I have commited serial white mountain minnow murder again!!!! .......... and now there are THREEE - I've managed to keep these ones for over a year PHEW:!:

Snugglepuss said:
:lol: well, my hubby says I'm not only a serial snail killer (ran over a whole family of snails when putting my car in the garage:eek: ) but a serial fish killer as well. The story starts with my 40th birthday - he bought me a minnow cube with four white mountain minnows in it. He had ordered it over the internet and when it arrived the fish were fine but the cube was cracked! So rescue remedy - open top pyrex dish!

I decided that until I received a replacement minnow cube I would put the minnow cube on my kitchen shelf above the radiator (where my mop and bucket had been stragically placed for several days:lol: :lol: )

I fed and nurtured my fish everyday and THEN one day I noticed one was missing????????? what on earth had happened to it? couldn't find it anywhere.

So of course being a proud and tidy housewife I decided to mop the kitchen floor - squeezed the mop out and there with its huge eye in the squidgey mop bucket was the fish:eek: 1 down 3 to go :lol: Shortley after the untimely death, the replacement minnow cube arrived with another four fish - great I have SEVEN fish now - but not for long:lol: :lol: I move my 3 pyrex fish into the minnow cube and GUESS WHAT they die IMMEDIATELY:eek: OMG I've stressed them out and now instead of seven I have four - hope you are keeping up with this So out of the blue another set of minnows arrive with Dave the postie. Not ours we say but the address on the label is correct so in the end we accept. Two minnow cubes side by side living happily UNTIL I decide that the water is murky - and yes you have guessed right I have commited serial white mountain minnow murder again!!!! .......... and now there are THREEE - I've managed to keep these ones for over a year PHEW:!:

deb remind me not to let you 'fish sit' for me if we go away

amb x

Oooh dear, by the time you get this in the morning it might be too late, but, if the other fish are attacking it you really need to do the decent thing - I used to put the fish in between some newspaper, give it the last rights, then bash it hard with a brick.... do it properly and make sure you don't have to hit it twice to do the dirty deed. It's horrible, and I always used to cry afterwards, but it's much better than being eaten alive by the other fish. Good luck with it.

Jackie

Hi there. I have a biorb too. About the fish - unfortunately, decent burial time - it is only adding bacteria to the orb now. As for biorbs themselves there are several things to know. The media needs time to "get working", usually several days. In the meantime it is not functioning as it should. Also, EVERY time you change the filter you must do a water change - 1/3 of the water. It pays to change the airstone on a regular basis too - it gets full of gunge. There are service kits you can get. If you don't do a water/filter change at the very least every six weeks then you risk messing up the delicate balance of the biorb system - it's completely different from ordinary fish tanks as the stones/filter etc all make up the way it works.

If you don't have the original booklet on how to setup and maintain it then have a look at this site: http://www.bi-orb.com/FAQs.htm, which is full of really useful information. I have to say that every third or fourth change I do I use the algae remover filter (but I leave it in longer than the instructions say - about the same length as an ordinary one) to help keep the green stuff down. I have fan tailed fish in now and they have lasted and lasted.

Good luck with it all.

Sylkstream said:
Hi there. I have a biorb too. About the fish - unfortunately, decent burial time - it is only adding bacteria to the orb now. As for biorbs themselves there are several things to know. The media needs time to "get working", usually several days. In the meantime it is not functioning as it should. Also, EVERY time you change the filter you must do a water change - 1/3 of the water. It pays to change the airstone on a regular basis too - it gets full of gunge. There are service kits you can get. If you don't do a water/filter change at the very least every six weeks then you risk messing up the delicate balance of the biorb system - it's completely different from ordinary fish tanks as the stones/filter etc all make up the way it works.

If you don't have the original booklet on how to setup and maintain it then have a look at this site: http://www.bi-orb.com/FAQs.htm, which is full of really useful information. I have to say that every third or fourth change I do I use the algae remover filter (but I leave it in longer than the instructions say - about the same length as an ordinary one) to help keep the green stuff down. I have fan tailed fish in now and they have lasted and lasted.

Good luck with it all.

Hi thanks for the advice. I do use the service kit every 6 weeks and this is the first time I've changed the media in about a year. I had loads of probs when I first got the biorb and loads were dying. But eventually sored it all out - I was overfeeding them. Now I only feed them blodworm about twice a week and thiey have been fine for nearly 2 years.I usually do a third water change but have done complete ones in the past with no probs until now. I've also got 2 little fish at the bottom don;t know what they are called but they eat all the s*hit!
I had a feeling he's prob adding bad bacteria to the water - he's still alive this morning, same postion. Gonna have to get hubby to do the decent thing, I can't bring myself to do it.

Hi there hunny

Sorry if my message seem to tell you what to do - just trying to be helpful.:biggrin:

Sounds like you are doing all the right things and maybe it was just this fish's time. Try the biorb site though, it sometimes has stuff about fish maladies so might be able to help.

I'm really intrigued about your "cleaning" fish (eat the rot at the bottom). I was always told you can't have them in a biorb system, but if it's worked for you I may try it - stirring up the stones to get the muck into the water and then hoping the filter (a day or so before a change) will remove a lot of it doesn't seem to do quite enough for my set up. I think I'll try one of those fish cos the bottom of my tank is looking manky!

I think there is also a treatment filter you can get which helps with some of the more common ailments for fish (green coloured?). Anyway, lots of luck and I would get my other half to do the deed too - too much for me!

Suzie.e said:

awww sorry to hear about your fish i have been a keeper of tropical fish all my life. untill recently i run the tank down to believe it or not 1 neon tetra was left lol and he stuck it on his lonesome about 6 months in a 3 ft tank ..
bet he thought he was in the ocean. i think he finally died of old age...that or boredem...
i have a gold fish now 1 left out of 7.had him 10 yrs was told they only last around 5yrs.now with all the chemicals in the water, think he doesan't know this.lol hes in a 2ft tank quite happy...lol
i was reading a book about fish yrs ago and it was telling you the most humaine way to kill a fish.....

1.. being to drop it in dont laugh .... a alzka saltzer dont think you spell it like that sorry..
2... boiling water ouch.. sorry this sounds awfull i know..
it was in a tropical fish book i had..
3...you have to slam it on a concrete floor very hard so you break its spinal cord..this was told me off a fish aqua shop.....
i prefere 1st humaine way myself..some thing to do with all the bubbles!!!

can you seperate this fish in a bucket from the others see how it goes on for awhile. ask your nearest tropical/fish dealer advice..
good luck hope it goes on ok.
chez

MINKUS said:
deb remind me not to let you 'fish sit' for me if we go away

amb x
Don't worry Amb I won't:lol: Pam (next door neighbour)asked me to bird sit her budgie Billy for two weeks - I can tell you I dreaded getting up on a morning incase it had dropped dead off its perch in the middle of the night - (like the monty python sketch and the dead parrot:eek: )anyway I now have to oap cats who only have 3 teeth between them so I couldn't possibly bird or fish sit in case the cats gummed them to death :eek: :lol: :eek: - now could I?:lol: ?:lol: ?

love Debxx

I couldn't possibly do any of those humane things. I went out and asked hubby to do the grim reaper thing. Just got back in and hubby has gone out and fish is still there, now I'm gonna have to wait until tonight.
This is him:Scared: The one one the right is the poop cleaning fish. Didn't know you sholdn't have them in biorbs - have had him for about 8 months. he's a nifty little chap.

Attachments

• poorly fish2.JPG
    poorly fish2.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 412
Suzie.e said:
I couldn't possibly do any of those humane things. I went out and asked hubby to do the grim reaper thing. Just got back in and hubby has gone out and fish is still there, now I'm gonna have to wait until tonight.
This is him:Scared: The one one the right is the poop cleaning fish. Didn't know you sholdn't have them in biorbs - have had him for about 8 months. he's a nifty little chap.

awww bless him..... xx

Aw Suzie he looks so sad, bless! My tried and tested way of getting rid of them is to flush them down the loo!

yeah - my fish died once when i was at work - my mum text me and put 'fish dead - can i flush him?' nowt like breaking the news to me gently lol xx

Ok - it's over:sad: we didn't have any alker seltzer so we put some Andrews in a vase, prepared to move him in and he was dead before he got there! So now he's gone to fishy toilet heaven RIP.
New fish - I'm gonna get a white one with fluffy orange head - had one before but he died so try again!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Suzie.e said:
Ok - it's over:sad: we didn't have any alker seltzer so we put some Andrews in a vase, prepared to move him in and he was dead before he got there! So now he's gone to fishy toilet heaven RIP.
New fish - I'm gonna get a white one with fluffy orange head - had one before but he died so try again!

oh no :cry: RIP little fishy xx

Suzie.e said:

awww sorry... its awfull isan't it..
but not suffering now gone to that big ocean in the sky..
chez

MY local lfs shop suggests clove oil

mamma said:
MY local lfs shop suggests clove oil

OMG!! That sounds like some sadistic fish shop fella! I can just feel what clove oil does to my gums when I have a toothache!!!

Sorry your fishy died but it's better than lingering on.

Jackie
x

Suzie.e said:

one of my white mountain minnows who i stressed out and came to an untimely death, was eaten by the snail cleaning fish tank snails :sad: :eek:

Latest posts

Back