What should I do? Stay mobile or rent a nail station?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mami pedi

Reaction score
As the title suggests I'm unsure what to do....
I'm currently mobile and have been for the past year, a local hairdressers now have an nail station to rent, a woman was there before but left recently after having a baby.
My problem is that it's smack bang in the middle of 3 Nss nail salons, two of them are always busy and one opened a few weeks ago.
One of them have a Gelish and daisy poster up the other 2 don't.
I do shellac, Brisa lite smoothing gel and minx plus your traditional manicures and pedicures, as far as I can tell none of the other salons offer these services.
Also I'm a single mum and my son has just started school so I would only be able to work 10-3 during the week, on Saturdays I could get family to help out.
It would be great to be a bit more visible on the run up to Christmas but I just don't know if I would stand chance.
What would you do?
Take a chance or stay mobile?
Look forward to hearing what you guys think
:)

Hi ya

I would not even take the NSS Salons into account. The type of clients they attract are not the kind of clients you want anyway! Trust me on that one!

What you do need to consider is whether you can afford the added costs of renting somewhere? Is it going to be a fixed term thing? Can you get out easily if it is not working out. Can you afford to promote yourself enough? Does the salon already have a client base? If the other lady has only just left you may be able to tap into her clients x

x

Hi ya

I would not even take the NSS Salons into account. The type of clients they attract are not the kind of clients you want anyway! Trust me on that one!

What you do need to consider is whether you can afford the added costs of renting somewhere? Is it going to be a fixed term thing? Can you get out easily if it is not working out. Can you afford to promote yourself enough? Does the salon already have a client base? If the other lady has only just left you may be able to tap into her clients x

x

That's very true, I would only want to stay there for a few months, they may not want that.
I forgot to mention is that I'm attending a workshop next week on applying for a start up loan, maybe I should just crack on with being mobile and see what happens with that?

As the title suggests I'm unsure what to do....
I'm currently mobile and have been for the past year, a local hairdressers now have an nail station to rent, a woman was there before but left recently after having a baby.
My problem is that it's smack bang in the middle of 3 Nss nail salons, two of them are always busy and one opened a few weeks ago.
One of them have a Gelish and daisy poster up the other 2 don't.
I do shellac, Brisa lite smoothing gel and minx plus your traditional manicures and pedicures, as far as I can tell none of the other salons offer these services.
Also I'm a single mum and my son has just started school so I would only be able to work 10-3 during the week, on Saturdays I could get family to help out.
It would be great to be a bit more visible on the run up to Christmas but I just don't know if I would stand chance.
What would you do?
Take a chance or stay mobile?
Look forward to hearing what you guys think
:)

I say it sounds good, but success is Dependant on the rent each week and if you can do enough clients between 10-3? The NSS salons are no competition for you as you much better than them! Where abouts are you based? In a city, town! I'm in London and there are so many NSS salons but I used to literally seek out a decent salon!

I'm in a similar situation I really want to stop being mobile part time and start being a permanent nail tech because I love nails so much. But I'm nervous too having the kids etc.

Xxx

I say it sounds good, but success is Dependant on the rent each week and if you can do enough clients between 10-3? The NSS salons are no competition for you as you much better than them! Where abouts are you based? In a city, town! I'm in London and there are so many NSS salons but I used to literally seek out a decent salon!

I'm in a similar situation I really want to stop being mobile part time and start being a permanent nail tech because I love nails so much. But I'm nervous too having the kids etc.

Xxx

I'm in London too, the salon is on a very busy high street, it's closed on Mondays but get quite a bit of passing trade.
That's why I applied for a start up loan, it's so hard to find somewhere to employ me with the hours I want to do, and like you I love nail so much :)

I'm in London too, the salon is on a very busy high street, it's closed on Mondays but get quite a bit of passing trade.
That's why I applied for a start up loan, it's so hard to find somewhere to employ me with the hours I want to do, and like you I love nail so much :)

Ooooh a fellow tech in London- where abouts are you? What are you going to be offering? And how much is the rent? As long as you have got a few months rent saved up for of its slow (which hopefully it won't be) then you should be ok- will you be advertising anywhere else,

Ooooh a fellow tech in London- where abouts are you? What are you going to be offering? And how much is the rent? As long as you have got a few months rent saved up for of its slow (which hopefully it won't be) then you should be ok- will you be advertising anywhere else,

I'm in south west London, they haven't confirmed the rent yet.
I'll be offering shellac, Brisa lite smoothing gel, minx and your traditional manicures and pedicures.

I advertise quite a bit, I guess I would have to up it but unfortunately I have no savings whatsoever :-(

I'm in south west London, they haven't confirmed the rent yet.
I'll be offering shellac, Brisa lite smoothing gel, minx and your traditional manicures and pedicures.

I advertise quite a bit, I guess I would have to up it but unfortunately I have no savings whatsoever :-(

Ok- I'm in south east london! Well it sounds like your USP is industry leading products, healthy nails, no damage etc, CND. You should get loads of clients in south west london who prefer that to NSS salons- just invest in your advertising as you go! I might look for a table where I split the week with another tech as I've got the kids so I only want to do 3-4 days per week max!
Xxx

I've got a table available in my salon in Bromley if anyone's interested. No nail salons anywhere nearby.

Hi Hun,

I hope you're well?

I really think you should go for it! It sounds perfect regardless of the NSS,...they're everywhere! But clients will come to you because you have good products, your product knowledge and your skills.

The NSS are NOT competition...yeah that bang out nails all day, everyday quicker than the speed of light, but what they don't offer is a relaxing salon service with good customer care and good professional products!

If I were you, I'd go for it!

You remember how much I loved going from mobile to salon based? It was the best decision I ever made, I only work 3 days a week and its perfect.

If you need any help with anything, you know where I am x

I've got a table available in my salon in Bromley if anyone's interested. No nail salons anywhere nearby.

How many days do you want to rent it for persianista? And where abouts in Bromley is it? I might be interested in renting it!

Bickley end of Bromley. Looking for a weekly rent. Salons open 6 days a week, so it would be up to the renter which days they worked.

Bickley end of Bromley. Looking for a weekly rent. Salons open 6 days a week, so it would be up to the renter which days they worked.

Ok I will pm you

Hi Hun,

I hope you're well?

I really think you should go for it! It sounds perfect regardless of the NSS,...they're everywhere! But clients will come to you because you have good products, your product knowledge and your skills.

The NSS are NOT competition...yeah that bang out nails all day, everyday quicker than the speed of light, but what they don't offer is a relaxing salon service with good customer care and good professional products!

If I were you, I'd go for it!

You remember how much I loved going from mobile to salon based? It was the best decision I ever made, I only work 3 days a week and its perfect.

If you need any help with anything, you know where I am x

Thanks for your kind words mummycat, once they let me know what the rent is I'll see if they are ok with the hours I want to do and what the minimum term for renting is, I'll make a decision. Will let you know
I'm good thanks, and you? missed you at Olympia I was only there briefly on the Monday.

Thanks for your kind words mummycat, once they let me know what the rent is I'll see if they are ok with the hours I want to do and what the minimum term for renting is, I'll make a decision. Will let you know
I'm good thanks, and you? missed you at Olympia I was only there briefly on the Monday.

I'm hope it all works out for you! Would be perfect before Christmas!

I'm great thank you! Shame we didn't meet up at Olympia...we really must do that coffee soon! Xx

I met up with the owner of the salon today and he cool, very honest.
Rent would be £50 a week and the would go up by £10 every 2 weeks until it hits £100
I could do the hours I wish but Saturdays would be essential.
The rent includes everything, I would have to use my own table.

I went in to the other salons to see what they use and how much they charge.
The 1st one does Gelish and charges £20, the bottles were filthy :-(
The 2nd ones does bluesky shellac and charges £18 for application and £23 with a manicure.
The 3rd one does bluesky, charges £20 for application and £28 with a manicure.
NONE of them do minx and saw not one CND product.

I think I would have to bring down my prices down slightly but there are always add ons such as Brisa lite or nail art and solar oil pinkies.....

I can see my leaflets already "genuine CND Shellac" lol!!!
I have a week to get back to him.

So what do you think?

I met up with the owner of the salon today and he cool, very honest.
Rent would be £50 a week and the would go up by £10 every 2 weeks until it hits £100
I could do the hours I wish but Saturdays would be essential.
The rent includes everything, I would have to use my own table.

I went in to the other salons to see what they use and how much they charge.
The 1st one does Gelish and charges £20, the bottles were filthy :-(
The 2nd ones does bluesky shellac and charges £18 for application and £23 with a manicure.
The 3rd one does bluesky, charges £20 for application and £28 with a manicure.
NONE of them do minx and saw not one CND product.

I think I would have to bring down my prices down slightly but there are always add ons such as Brisa lite or nail art and solar oil pinkies.....

I can see my leaflets already "genuine CND Shellac" lol!!!
I have a week to get back to him.

So what do you think?

Can you lower your prices in line with those salons and still afford the £100? Is there a contract? I say give it a trial say for three months and see what happens! As long as your not making a loss it can't hurt! Will your existing clients travel to see you in the shop? Have you asked them?

Latest posts

Back