What should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snazzybiz

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice, I had a baby last year who was then diagnosed with a brain tumour last year and is having chemo untill April. I work part-time for the NHS as an accountant although I'm signed off at the moment and I used to do my beauty part- time as well however as I am signed off I can't do any beauty.
My work are now trying to terminate my contract so I will be jobless.
I was thinking about setting up an accounting business from home which I can fit around my daughter's treatment/ care but my heart foesnt lie there I want to do my beauty and was thinking about setting up a home salon. What do people think ? Is it better to do mobile to try Nd build a client bade first or just bite the bullet and do both ?

Sorry bit of a ramble !!!

Thanks Hayley xx

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you baby will be well again soon.
I started by going mobile and built up a good clients base, I also did a small amount from home at the same time.
Then I got offered a room above a shop in town, so now everyone comes to the salon.
I felt a bit bad at first, as people loved my home visits. But I knew it would be better for me in the shop. I still work flexible hours to suit me and my family. Sometimes I open at 12noon and work into the evening. Or sometimes I work 12 hours in the day. Sometimes just 1 hour :( things are quiet this month.
Hope this helps in some small way.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I would say start as you mean to go on. If you want to work from home then don't go mobile, as trying to change from mobile to home salon later could prove tough, if your clients are used to you going to them. Hope that helps
So sorry to hear your situation, I hope everything works out xxx

You do what you really want to do sweetheart! You've got enough to be thinking about than adding to your woes with a job you don't want/enjoy. Work however fits for you best & then you'll strive & push for that to work Xx

So sorry to hear about your baby. Sounds like the last thing you need is job changes.

I have a slightly different take on things.

If financially you are dependent on the money what about setting yourself up as a freelance consultant. You're doing the work now, there's no need to do any new courses, it will be easy to schedule around your home commitments and it will bring in a good wage.

You could always start the beauty at a later stage when things have calmed down. Unless you have a waiting client group you'll have to do a lot of work building it up etc Income might be slow to build up.

I only suggest this as when I left employment, I was quite adamant that I never wanted to work in the same field again. As it happened, I decided to work as a management consultant whilst I sorted other things / businesses out. It was 'what I knew' so was easy to set up and provides me with a good income (I charge a daily rate). It's also very different being freelance- you have none of the politics, none of the staff & can do the work whatever hours suit you. I really enjoy it now.

Anyway, just a different viewpoint..
Good luck whichever you choose

I work from home and have done for 10 years now. You don't have to travel between clients and is really easy with children. As my husband arrives home, I can do a client straight away. I think you'll find it easier to cope with than mobile.
My thought and prayers are with you. I hope she gets better soon xx

I do both but I probably encourage folk to come to me more than me visit them. If I visit them at home then there's a minimum treatment price.

I'm sorry to hear about your wee girl - hope she's better soon xx

Latest posts

Back