What to do? Too Stressful?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma so thought I'd ask you lovely peeps for some words of wisdom :).

I was at the hairdressers the other day, who also happens to have a beauty room with a part-time Level 2 qualified therapist. (she's at college training for level 3). Amongst basic treatments, (wholesale products) they do spray tanning.

The owner of the salon is not happy with said employed therapist who doesn't seem sure that she actually wants to do Beauty Therapy once qualified. The owner therefore is perhaps looking to rent the room out.

She knows I have my own salon and didn't actually come right out & ask if this is something I would be interested in, but me being me, my brain is ticking over with all sorts of possibilities.

My current salon I have had for nearly 17 years & is now ticking along nicely & relatively stress free.

Would I be mad to run another business? Treatments would be done by an employed therapist as my back isn't really up to the job any more:cry:.

A few of you renting rooms within hairdressers seem to struggle with getting clients, although they do have quite a few clients already.

With regards the spray tanning, they use Fake Bake. I know from reading other posts this is one of the better companies - is it easy to get trained to do? I am a complete & utter novice when it comes to tanning :)

If I decided this was not a completely mad idea, what sort of things should I be approaching the salon owner about? I had thought: rent & what's included; notice to give if I feel it's all too much

I think I've waffled on enough now so will look forward to replies & thoughts :)

I personally would sit down with the hair salon owner with no commitment or obligation on either part and brainstorm see what bones you can pick out of it. That is what I am doing with one of my girls who want s to take over one of my salons. HTH and good luck with it all

sounds all good, not a dilemma as such.

work out what you want and what she wants then get a contract written up.

Fake Bake training is very easy to arrange; if you take out one of their starter packs (although from what you've said I doubt you would need to), it's free. Otherwise I believe they charge a nominal amount. PM me if you would like details of that! The training takes a day (from 10 until 4 ish) and is in Ealing.
:)

Hi I think it is a great idea especially if your business is stable and running along nicely. It also gives you an indication of what it would be like to expand without the commitment of another shop. Regarding spray tanning you should be able to get training locally - you do not have to be trained by the company. Fake Bake has a good brand name for clients although dealing with them can be a bit hit and miss at times! However their preparation products are great but there are also other good brands on the market in this sector. You do have more choice for spray tanning than with manual application tanning. I would however get good spraying equipment and extraction as this can make a whole heap of difference to the service provided.

Thanks for replies so far :).

Think I will arrange a meeting with the hair salon owner just to see if she really does want to rent it out & go from there. No point getting my brain in gear if it's a non-starter by not being avaiable.

So, called in hair salon, spoke to owner.

The rent would be £120 pw, which from what some of you have said is a lot to pay, BUT, this includes all bills etc, receptionist... plus the use of the Fake Bake spray tanning machine, the Hot Stones, Clean & Easy wax system (which I already use), and the room is already kitted out with couch & display units.

I could re-decorate if I wanted to but the walls are blue which is my colour theme anyway.

All I would need to get going is some stock, some of which I could borrow from my existing salon till things picked up.

My friends & current therapists have said to go for it, but I have a little voice saying no. Am I being silly & having a crisis of confidence or do you geeks think it's a good idea?

I think what's holding me back is that I've tried to venture out with other businesses in the past which haven't worked out.

Hi from the sound of it there are things I would want answers on such as you say you can use the equipment so I presume if it breaks down the salon owner would replace it? Does the salon owner decide on the treatments or do you, what about prices and advert design - is this included in the rent?

I know what you mean about a little voice inside saying no as I have never had any luck in partnerships but if you can iron out all issues beforehand there is a higher chance of success. The rent does sound on the high side but I guess it depends on the area and clientele. If your gut instincts still tell you to avoid it then I would listen to them.

Latest posts

Back