What to do when client hates her restyle?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah_clancy

Reaction score
I did one of my regulars yesterday....
She showed me a similar style to what she wanted in a photo from years ago, I suggested keeping it that bit longer just incase ( I hate cutting hair off)
I thought it looked pretty **** hot... Much more modern and funky, loads more texture and height as before it just stuck to her head.
Anyway I show her the mirror..... "oh I don't like it"... Me: 'oh what bit don't you like?' client: 'all of it!!!'
I could of cried... I did all that she asked, it looked soooo much better!
I was so deflated the rest of the day, and seriously contemplated chucking in the trade!

:-( x x

They do this hun, you have to try and not let it get to you, maybe she was trying to re live her youth.....and she hasn't had a change for years!! Chin up!! And smile...I reckon her family will like it x

Give her a couple of days to get used to it, then give her a call to see how she is getting on with it. It shows them you care, you can ask if there's anything you can do to make it feel more wearable or offer her next haircut complimentary x

Give her a couple of days to get used to it, then give her a call to see how she is getting on with it. It shows them you care, you can ask if there's anything you can do to make it feel more wearable or offer her next haircut complimentary x

I wouldn't go that far!! With the complimentary cut

It's human nature hun. The first time I had my hair cut asymmetric I told my tutor exactly how to cut it. I hated it, the cut was exactly what I had asked for but it was the shock of going from long hair to 1 side so short it was spiky.
A week later I loved it! If its a big restyle, it's a shock, and people don't normally like shocks. Like said before she may be wanting to re live her youth, or was expecting to look like she dd in the picture (we aren't experts in wrinkle removing too).
Give her a week hun xoxo

I always want change but then I worry that it doesn't suit me - she just needs a few days to get used to it. If she gets compliments from friends & family she will come around soon enough.

You shouldn't feel bad at all , it is just a shock sometimes when you have a massive change. I'm sure she'll love it soon. Anyway, you did a great cut, and she was adamant she wanted it. You did nothing wrong at all. I do know how it feels though, it is especially scary when you have cut off so much of someone's hair. You really want them to be happy with it.x

Another way of dealing with this is, after the initial consultation, I would say a few times. " Ok Mrs ??? , you like this style and it will suit you, BUT, you do realise that once I have cut it ect, you can't go back. Are you absolutely sure you want me to go ahead with it."

Of course, you will have to say this to them in a friendly and sincere way, as not to scare them.
Sometimes this method can confirm their expectations and beliefs a little more.

:wink2:

I don't think there is anything wrong with offering a complimentary cut-If it keeps a regular client, makes them feel comfortable. Chances are its her with the hair issues and no reflection on your work but I think it shows you really care and is professional. If it were a colour and she wasn't happy then it could prob be corrected or altered straight away but once hairs gone its gone so offering to 'fix' (even though you have given her what she wants) further down the line I believe is a good option.

Hairs tricky and we can all make mistakes or miss judge but a lot of the time it's the client who is unhappy with something personal or just plain indecisive, so don get worked up or jack in your trade :)

Thank you for your words of wisdom geeks!

I received a voicemail this afternoon saying how happy she is and she is sorry she made me feel so bad, but she is getting use to it.

PHEW!!

Wow talk about knock my confidence... This never happens!

I love salon geek... So good to have somewhere to vent!

xxxxxx

I'm not a hair geek but just thought ill let you know that everytime I go to the hairdressers I hate it, I wear my hair up for a few days and take the time to get used to it, my boyfriend won't even ask if I had a haircut because is doesn't actually look different, but to me it does, when I get use to it I love it tho lol. I just hate change x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Thank you for your words of wisdom geeks!

I received a voicemail this afternoon saying how happy she is and she is sorry she made me feel so bad, but she is getting use to it.

PHEW!!

Wow talk about knock my confidence... This never happens!

I love salon geek... So good to have somewhere to vent!

xxxxxx

woop woop, well done
it just human nature, and the shock from having probably same hair-do for yonks and going on to something more new and fresh. At the end of the day you gave her a style that suited her NOW and sometimes (or most of the time) clients dont see that, and they see what they think will suit them.

Well done! Just a shame she had to frighten u and knock u down first. Atleast it's an experience. Xoxo

I hope you still charged her on the day even if she said she didn't like it..
Some people think that if the say that don't like it then they get a free do, especially if money is tight.

I did one of my regulars yesterday....
She showed me a similar style to what she wanted in a photo from years ago, I suggested keeping it that bit longer just incase ( I hate cutting hair off)
I thought it looked pretty **** hot... Much more modern and funky, loads more texture and height as before it just stuck to her head.
Anyway I show her the mirror..... "oh I don't like it"... Me: 'oh what bit don't you like?' client: 'all of it!!!'
I could of cried... I did all that she asked, it looked soooo much better!
I was so deflated the rest of the day, and seriously contemplated chucking in the trade!

:-( x x

Mostly everyone hates change, Never had this problem before myself..
But as you said going from so flat to lots of volume texture, there gunna be different..:D After a few days, theyl wonder what all the fuss was about - Dont let it get you down.

I always say if you let every client get you down, You'l never be happy:p

Latest posts

Back