What to do...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really am in a dilema of knowing what to do with regards to nails.

I am fully qualified in l&p,mani,peds etc. I have 3 regular clients on my books who i do every 3~4 weeks. I am currently set up from home which involves me working from my bed room, where i have a nail desk set up &then i partician my bedroom off with some screens, its not the most proffesional set up but thats how it is at the mo, as i need to work around having a 2 year old & my hubbie working.

At the mo i cant fully decide what to do nect ie either to carry on as im going & do some more advertising, or ive been offered a room in a hairdressers ona sat although as it takes me 2 hours to do a full set im not sure it will be worth it, or to give up nails. I do love doing nails, but find i go through stages when i think enough is enough.

How do you really know if your heart is really in it? Sorry for all the whinging but need to speak to someone & get some valued opinions!

Thanks Lou xxx

hi there :) my sister started doing beauty from home over 11 years ago, and she waited until she felt she had enough clients on her books to warrant moving into her own salon. Personally, I'd suggest you stay where you are persist at it. And advertise!!! Have offers to keep your regular clients coming in, and even offer them discounts for referrals. Keep your prices lower than salons, as some people may see you as over charging. I'm sure you already do this, but working from home, make sure your house is ALWAYS spotless, no mess, no strong dinner odours etc. As for working from a hairdressing salon, that's maybe something to work towards once u have a regular client base. I've never liked the idea in case of personality clashes etc. but that's just my humble opinio :) hope it helps.

Jac :green:

if you give it a go at the hairdressers, you will probably gain some new clients. could you work on a commision basis for a couple of months to see how it goes? or are they expecting a flat fee ?

got to agree with angel, try and get the hair place on a comish, I work on 25%, trust me when you start doing one set after another your time soon comes down and in a salon you'll have loads of peeps to chat to which is a nice change from home! You'll still need to advertise but one of the suggestions on another thread was to offer to do the nails of the girls in the surounding shops with a discount and give them some cards to give out.
I think that would probebly work well for you.
Good luck hun and don't forget to tell us what you discide:biggrin:

Thanks all for your replies so far.

Im still very undecided what to do, dont know why im feeling like this but im sure time will be the answer.

As regards to the hairdressers shop i need to go & speak to the owner wwich i will hopefully do this week. Theres just one thing that is telling me know & thats cause there is a beauty shop over the road which also do nails &im a little abrehensive as to what their attitude will be.

dont worry, its not like you'll be robbing them of their trade if you are only doing nails and only on a saturday too. in my experience, a beauty shop will earn most of its revenue on waxing etc. a lot of beauty therapists regard nails as being a slow way to earn money ! go on, go on, go on ! give it a try,it might not work out, but if you only pay a commision all you have lost is a bit of time. but then again, it might turn out to be the best thing you have ever done.

angel fingers said:
dont worry, its not like you'll be robbing them of their trade if you are only doing nails and only on a saturday too. in my experience, a beauty shop will earn most of its revenue on waxing etc. a lot of beauty therapists regard nails as being a slow way to earn money ! go on, go on, go on ! give it a try,it might not work out, but if you only pay a commision all you have lost is a bit of time. but then again, it might turn out to be the best thing you have ever done.

Yeah go on - give it try. What's to lose? Good
Luck whatever you decide.:Love:

Thanks again... i think i will give it a try i suppose that is all i can do.

Just sometimes i dont feel my heart is in it 100%. I suppose in an ideal world i would love loads of clients & to be busy all the time but i suppose that will only come if i get out there!

When I first started, I had days where I thought I'd be better of driving my taxi, and my husband kept saying get out of your comfort zone, and as usual he was right, I didn't trust myself to do a good enough job and that made me say to my self I don't want to do this. Five months later I love it and wish I had enough buissiness so that I could sell the taxi instead of driving it part time.

Latest posts

Back