what to pay only just qualified nvq

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeautybank

Reaction score
Hi there can anyone help me, i have day release student who has worked for us saturdays and odd days in hols etc, but now she has just finished her nvq 2, not really salon ready in my mind yet, but i would like to take her on full time now but she can only really do half price services as really slow and not experinced enough.

What sort of salary would she expect she is over 18 can i pay her on a s/e basis like my other stylists or should i put her through the books really would like some input from you guys as to your thoughts etc.

Hi there can anyone help me, i have day release student who has worked for us saturdays and odd days in hols etc, but now she has just finished her nvq 2, not really salon ready in my mind yet, but i would like to take her on full time now but she can only really do half price services as really slow and not experinced enough.

What sort of salary would she expect she is over 18 can i pay her on a s/e basis like my other stylists or should i put her through the books really would like some input from you guys as to your thoughts etc.

The national minimum wage is 5.52. Probably wont be fair to pay her less than that. Just my opinion.

It would help to give her extra time with her treatments as well. Remember the more treatments she does the more confident she will get.

Hi

You could put her on a day release level 3 apprentiship. She can stay on it for a year, then you can give her commision on the money she does bring in.

The minimum hourly rate for age 18 is £4.45. Apprentiship is £80 per week. It depends if you can get her funding.

Hi there,
Don't make the mistake I have in the past by paying over the odds chances are she will take a long time to get to salon standard. I would recomend you put her on the apprenticeship giving yourself more time to see if she's right for you.
I have had a lot of problems recently with staff you invest a lot of money and time for them to gain experience then they decide the industry "isn't right for them" !! Always proceed with caution.
P.S Has anyone any tips on the best way to recruit new staff.
Ksibet 3031:confused:

surely this girl can do basic level 2 tretments i.e manicure and pedicure as she has qualified and has been in your salon practising.

when i completed my level2 i went onto a decent wage even tho i was doing my level 3. i was qualified, competent and confident. but that was 5year ago and i was always alot more passionate than the other trainee's.
how dis-hartening to comlete your first level and not be rewarded with a proper wage

Hi
You probably hit the nail on the head when you said you had a passion for the industry. Im sure you employer spotted this hence a good reason for a good salary. Unfortunately this isn't the case for everyone. We need a few more like you.:lol:

surely this girl can do basic level 2 tretments i.e manicure and pedicure as she has qualified and has been in your salon practising.

when i completed my level2 i went onto a decent wage even tho i was doing my level 3. i was qualified, competent and confident. but that was 5year ago and i was always alot more passionate than the other trainee's.
how dis-hartening to comlete your first level and not be rewarded with a proper wage

I agree with you but this is a hairdressing apprentice and it can take a good 5 years to gain full confidence in this industry they really only teach the basics at college on nvq2 and therefore they are not salon ready at all. She has been practising at salon but still not ready or confident. I think the best option is the hourly rate as this would hopefully give her time to get her speeds up and add on commision at a later date. Thank you all for your input you have been very helpful.

Latest posts

Back