What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani1987

Reaction score
So I did a set of nails the other day on a highly fussy client. I have done extensions on her before and they were fine but she admitted she pulled them all off because they were too long.
She asked me to get her a baby pink gel to match her outfit for her mum's wedding which I did, bought especially for her.
When it came to doing them she wasnt sure if she liked the colour I had... when I put it on I said are you sure you want to go ahead befire we cure it and she said yes and when they were finished they looked really nice and she said she was happy with the length, the colour and they felt fine.
I then went to her the next day to do some lashes for the wedding and she said I have some news about the nails.. I immediately went in to panic mode as you do. I said aw whats happened and she said nothing they are fine you've done a really good job I love them just the colour didn't match my outfit so I got **** to go over them with a different colour.
Now the person she got to do them us a fantastic hairdresser who has recently completed a one day course in two week manicures and my client was her first set...
I looked at her nails and they looked ok but there was very close to the cuticles but I said nothing and didn't take offense because she still gad her extensions on and the shape I had done. I didn't ask her how the treatment was done or how she had done it as I didn't want it to seem like I'd taken offense also the hairdresser is a client if mine do I didn't want my client running back and saying I was questioning her work.

This morning I woke to this:
Hi dani I need you to sort my nails ASAP. They have caused my fingers to bleed due to the excessive amount of glue you used and my hands are painful .. It's fair to say I'm not 100% happy with the nails.. And I need this rectifying quickly as possible , I don't want them redone so it won't take you long I want them taken off and a refund .

Now my first reaction was OMG!

Nothing like this has ever happened to me before and I couldn't understand then I remembered they'd been tampered with... also her boyfriend didnt like them and he seemed a bit overbearing on her and she starts college on Wednesday and has to have short nails for her course...

I have dealt with the situation but I just want to know how fellow geekers would deal with it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

"No chance!" would be my answer ;)

Seriously though, she's clearly changed her mind - more than once - during which time she's had a third party apply another colour.

And bleeding? I doubt it! Enhancements don't cause bleeding days after application, unless someone's had a go at butchering them off.

Can't wait to hear how you dealt with this one :hug:

In any event, I'd be happy if she became an ex-client from this point forward, you don't need that kind of sh** xx

ETA: she's also admitted previously to pulling off another set!!

Ok firstly stay calm, this sounds like nothing you have done.

What day did you do the nails, as can't work that out as if a good few days then a reaction would've happened before now and wouldn't cause bleeding, sounds like someone's been messing with them.

You do not need to give her a refund or remove the nails for free.

She told you on different days she was happy, she had the colour changed which was her choice at another salon, so your work has been tampered with and changed and you don't know what was used or how it was done.

She may have been pulling at them which has caused the issue, nails don't "just start to bleed" so someone or something has made them bleed

If she wants them removed she can pay your removal fee, she sounds like she is chancing this for a freebie, don't give in.

Tell her you want to see her nails by photo and you want to see her ASAP so you can assess them and with all her nails on, do not agree to anything, firmly say they'll be a charge for removal.

Omg.... What a chancer.
You were happy with your work and she was also happy when she left, and you saw them 24 hours later (no sign of sore cuticles or a reaction I'm assuming?) and she again was adamant your work was perfect but she had somebody else do her nails for the sake of a color change, then please do not worry! Simply tell her that she was happy after the treatment and 24 hours after the treatment there was no issue with your work, but since she has had work done by someone else tell her that if she is having any reactions the fault lies with the hairdresser. Give her your usual price for a removal.
Some people have no dignity, sounds like she had her nails done for an occasion and had a dodgy color change, now wants a free removal and money back before college. You did nothing wrong :)

Phew thats ok then its been bugging me if I did the right thing thank you xx

Yes sorry I did them on Wednesday...

I had no way of fitting her in today and I told her as they had been tampered with I wasn't taking full responsibility for the problems she was having and to go back to who had put the next lot of product on as they would have the product to remove it.
I should have asked her for a photo actually I never thought... she is moving to London tomorrow so I won't see her now until she is back down on holidays.
I told her I'd give her a voucher for the amount on her next treatment but I was not giving a cash refund due to them being tampered with.
I apologised that she was having trouble with them but made it clear I wasn't taking full responsibility for it.

She then backed down immediately and asked how she could get them off and said she was happy with a voucher. :rolleyes:

Why have you given her a voucher if you did nothing wrong? Of course she's happy, she'll pull her nails off again and have a voucher for the next time she's home!

I know I just thought to save me being slandered all over Facebook I'd just do that to keep her happy but I won't do gels on her again. I'll tell her to go to the other place as she wasn't happy with my treatment. As I say the girl who did them is also a client of mine so I didnt want her saying oh Dani said you did this and its all your fault either. Damage control was my motive for the voucher :)

Since you know she is going away, make the voucher only valid for a couple of weeks and put her name on it so she can't give it to a friend.

She totally sounds like a chancer.

I am lost for words. All I can say is that some people make me want to scream. Sounds like you dealt with it the best you could really.

Since you know she is going away, make the voucher only valid for a couple of weeks and put her name on it so she can't give it to a friend.

Brilliant idea!

That is a great idea actually ill drop it in to her house in the week. I gave her a package price with a bit of a discount so I'm not going to give her the full amount its worth either.

Thank you I'm glad you all agree. I've never been in the situation so I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing. I'm so relieved I did the right thing

Read the start of thread if new ;)
Before I reply I'd like to get an opinion. ..
When I seen the message flash up I thought she was going to complain that I hadnt given her full value for her voucher but no....

Hi dani I came home yesterday and I found the voucher you sent this morning ! I'm so great full for it ! Hope your good and doing well :) btw I had a lovely time at my mums wedding and my eyelashes stayed on fab :) xxxxx

Lol! She's changed her tune. I would probably be quite blunt and say something like I'm glad your lashes were good, see you soon haha

Twice since the treatment, she reaffirmed to you that she was happy with the service you provided. TWICE according to your post.

Why would you not just not say, "You have told me on two occasions since your appointment that you were super happy with the nails I did for you. I'm sorry, but I cannot accept what you are saying or now give you a refund for work that you have twice complimented me for and told me you were happy with. I'm sure that you can understand that that makes no sense at all. If you would prefer someone else to do your nails, I will understand."

When you throw the ball back into the client's court (nicely and reasonably and with a smile) many interesting things happen. 1. They usually always back down. 2. From that point on they know you are not a pushover. 3. They gain some respect.

I think it is sad that people are so afraid of social media that they 'give in' rather than deal with a situation in a reasonable way. That is not a criticism of you, Dani, just a general comment on how it has affected people's behaviour.

Twice since the treatment, she reaffirmed to you that she was happy with the service you provided. TWICE according to your post.

Why would you not just not say, "You have told me on two occasions since your appointment that you were super happy with the nails I did for you. I'm sorry, but I cannot accept what you are saying or now give you a refund for work that you have twice complimented me for and told me you were happy with. I'm sure that you can understand that that makes no sense at all. If you would prefer someone else to do your nails, I will understand."

When you throw the ball back into the client's court (nicely and reasonably and with a smile) many interesting things happen. 1. They usually always back down. 2. From that point on they know you are not a pushover. 3. They gain some respect.

I think it is sad that people are so afraid of social media that they 'give in' rather than deal with a situation in a reasonable way. That is not a criticism of you, Dani, just a general comment on how it has affected people's behaviour.

No, no I agree totally with you. I reget giving her the voucher to be honest now. I'm not gonna broach the subject with her but if she brings it up I'm just gonna say look I have no idea what happened in the two days I didnt see you but a reaction like that would have occured immediately so it really is a mystery but I think its better if you go elsewhere for your nails in future as no one else has had any problems with them it really makes no sebse.
I am going to send her quite a blunt message back and I will conveniently be completely booked when she wants to use her voucher ;)
It's horrible we get mistreated after the work and effort we put in

No, no I agree totally with you. I reget giving her the voucher to be honest now. I'm not gonna broach the subject with her but if she brings it up I'm just gonna say look I have no idea what happened in the two days I didnt see you but a reaction like that would have occured immediately so it really is a mystery but I think its better if you go elsewhere for your nails in future as no one else has had any problems with them it really makes no sebse.
I am going to send her quite a blunt message back and I will conveniently be completely booked when she wants to use her voucher ;)
It's horrible we get mistreated after the work and effort we put in
My advice would be to leave it alone now.
If you do not take that advise and write your text, then here is some extra advice ... Do not write anything that you will be sorry to see in print somewhere!

Oh yes I will take that advise thank you. I wont be funny with her at all. I wasn't when she complained. As I say I won't bring up the nails until she does in person.

Hi ****** All good here thanks. Glad you had a nice time and the lashes withheld the festivities. Hope you have a nice few days at home and college is going well. Speak soon x

There we are nice and civil. Thanks all for the advice. You have to grow a thick skin and a patient persona don't you?
Glamorous job? Em no :o

I would tell her that due to the reaction she had with her nails, you wouldn't be prepared to do nails on her again without a doctors letter, for insurance purposes.

Let her use the voucher against lashes.

Latest posts

Back