What would you suggest?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I originally posted this in the consumer forum about 4 days ago, but haven't had any replies. I cannot decide what to do with my hair!

I have short hair graduated at the back and slightly longer on the top and I am a natural base 3-4 with some grey at the roots, so I decided to go with some blonde foils to try to disguise my going grey (it doeasn't seem to be all over though, just on my parting and some other random places). I couldn't cope with the roots coming through (seemed to be just after a week, maybe foils not close enough to root?), anyway, I coloured it back to a dark brown using a Loreal box colour (no, it didn't go green :)!).

I then had a mad moment with a hairdresser friend of mine (24 years in the industry) and decided i would go platinum blonde all over :eek:. Using a 20vol peroxide with bleach powder, it lifted to a horrible orange (as expected) so the mixture was reapplied for a further 20 minutes. It was still a horrible orangy colour. I used a toner after this and a blue conditioner to try to lift it further, but it still had orangy tones throughout, mainly on the tips.

I went to college and (as luck would have it?) our demo for the evening was a bleach bath which couldn't make it, so I was used. My head hurt like hell and after the bleach bath, a toner with peroxide and a toner without peroxide didn't really do much, I got on with my client who had arrived.

It is slightly blonder now as I've been using a toning conditioner but I still don't like it and I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if it's because it's 'between lengths' or if it is the colour. I don't want to upset my hairdresser friend as this will be the second time I will have recoloured it behind her back if I do it, but will it be ok to colour it back?

I think I would like it to be light, not really dark anymore, so would some caramel or chocolate tones be ok to put through as slices? And I don't know if I should just start again and chop it off 'a la Tabitha' (or Michelle from the apprentice!) or perhaps get an extension piece to bring it round as a temporary bob :mad:

I really don't know what I want, please some help and/or advice would be really appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post :hug:

Sarah. xx

P.S. I don't have any pics as my camera is a crappy £10 jobby with no camera and my digital one got left in the rain by my lovely daughter :eek:

If you decide to go for the slices I would ask your hairdresser to use a quasi colour (Colour Touch with Wella). These need a very low strength peroxide (1.9%) and won't damage your hair too much cos it sounds like it has been throgh a lot already. They also might last you longer than a permanent colour if your hair is quite porous. The toners they put on at college might subdue some of the yellow but won't lift your hair any more. Can't give you any advice on which colour to choose though cos I don't know what base you are at the moment. Again, cutwise its difficult to tell without seeing your hair. I suppose at the end of the day it has got to be your decision. Hope this helps at all!
x

Your roots will be less noticable if you stay up in the lighter brown range, for sure. Coloring it darker wont really hurt it anymore, but from the description of what its been thru lately, it might grab dark and fade quickly. I would ask her to take you back down a couple shades, but dont throw a box on it....you'll usually regret it.

Thanks guys :hug:

I think I will ask her to take it down a shade or two, put some light chocolate slices through and I think I'll get some glue-in's to bring it down into more of a bob.

As she is a home hairdresser and doesn't do an awful lot of extensions, I know she asks her clients to buy their own so she doesn't have them sitting at home doing nothing, so with that in mind, where would be a good place to buy my extensions from? Could I go into a salon and ask to buy some from them?

Thanks again, you did help me make up my mind :green:

xx

Latest posts

Back