What's causing this, is it colour choice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to randomise the order of my colours through the parting and also never leave a subsection on that area or I found that mine would be hideously stripey!

I do it very differently. I found this way myself although im sure theres probably words for it. I still go on the parting but when doing 2 colours i want them both on the parting so i weave one colour leaving about a cm gap jn between each strand. Then i pick up the bits i havnt coloured in the same slice and weave that one aswell with the other colour.

I make sure i dont do both sides exactly the sane and then it doesny come out stripey and you have both colours on the top. My clients love this technique

I tend to randomise the order of my colours through the parting and also never leave a subsection on that area or I found that mine would be hideously stripey!
I found it was stripey-er when I didn't have a subsection.

I found it was stripey-er when I didn't have a subsection.

I do mine extremely fine...maybe that's why? I take the longest to do highlights out of all the others in my salon because I pack so many in with such a fine weave! But my clients come to me because they get such natural results so I'd rather be slow lol. Xx

Just weave smaller sections and put in more foils, don't leave a big gap as it contrasts and makes it look stripey when it's multi coloured.

i usually pack in loads of foils myself. didnt like that in college they said a full head of foils was about 20 packets and that you should be doing it in 45 mins...

Right I take a small section, I weave it. Drop the bit woven out. Colour the other woven section. I then take another section 3/4 of the size of previous section and pin out of way. I then take another section and weave again.
The section I pinned out of the way is majority the section I had previously woven but not coloured.

Kaye. Could you either send a photo or draw a picture of the sectioning you would take? Thanks.

Hi Tori,

I don't know what colour house you're with, the salon I work at is Redken. I went on a Principles Of Highlighting course many moons ago.
I will try to draw it all up for you, I'm no Van Gogh mind lol ;-) xx

i usually pack in loads of foils myself. didnt like that in college they said a full head of foils was about 20 packets and that you should be doing it in 45 mins...

20! Lol. My client counted hers today there were 72 x

20! Lol. My client counted hers today there were 72 x
lmao i know how stupid! im the same, depending on hair density there could 50-70 in there!

Lol that's actually so funny because when I was doing my foiling assessments in hair school one of the educators told me that I was "wasting my time" by putting in so many packets... I took her advice and did a blonde clients regrowth and it didn't even look like she had a root touch up, ever since that day I pack in the foils!!

Easy fix....do the top foils from a diagonal line from the crown to front for a row instead of standard straight lines of foils. Straight rows of foils will yield perfectly matched color on middle parts looking stripey I can see that in your first pic. Random weaving & leaving is best and will aid in foils not being to evenly placed. When the hair parts naturally down the middle straight rows of foils are evenly split and matched perfectly side to side looking stripey the randomness breaks up this effect. Give it a try I discovered this years back and its how I do all my foils just to avoid that problem.

Easy fix....do the top foils from a diagonal line from the crown to front for a row instead of standard straight lines of foils. Straight rows of foils will yield perfectly matched color on middle parts looking stripey I can see that in your first pic. Random weaving & leaving is best and will aid in foils not being to evenly placed. When the hair parts naturally down the middle straight rows of foils are evenly split and matched perfectly side to side looking stripey the randomness breaks up this effect. Give it a try I discovered this years back and its how I do all my foils just to avoid that problem.

So the foils don't follow the hair line?

I started to get the same trouble too but then realised I'd been doing the freehand for so long (during the foils fall too grace) that when I started foiling again lately I'd gone back to doing it the way I learnt in colege (vertical sections on top). To stop that I take a horse shoe section on top and part down the middle, foiling both sections in a diagonal backwards manner. But I'm definitely going to try the pattern above now ^^

So the foils don't follow the hair line?

Follow the hairline? Start foils @ top back of hair either off to right or left corner and do row of foils diagonally towards the front opposite corner from starting corner. Do the same with next row of foils on top following the first rows layout.
Like the upper right pic see how the foil is on a diagonal through the top

Attachments

• 5c3372d81e2f69813d2060e899c0f147.jpg
    5c3372d81e2f69813d2060e899c0f147.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 60
Lol that's actually so funny because when I was doing my foiling assessments in hair school one of the educators told me that I was "wasting my time" by putting in so many packets... I took her advice and did a blonde clients regrowth and it didn't even look like she had a root touch up, ever since that day I pack in the foils!!

lol yip. Load of pish!!

Follow the hairline? Start foils @ top back of hair either off to right or left corner and do row of foils diagonally towards the front opposite corner from starting corner. Do the same with next row of foils on top following the first rows layout.
Like the upper right pic see how the foil is on a diagonal through the top
This is how I do mine, I never get stripes x

Latest posts

Back