Whats Required For 50/50 Or Rent A Chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkishtart

Reaction score
Hi

Hopefully I will be taking on 2 new stylist, now I know one wants 50/50 could anyone clarify what this Includes on both parties

Also what Is the criteria with rent a chair?

Finally sorry:rolleyes: ... Who pays for the apprentice?? or saturday girl/boy?? I know I pay the wages but should they contribute to this??

Thank you In advance :green:

Hi Turkishtart here is a post from another thread that may help :hug:

If someone rents a room or station from you (the salon owner ) say for £100.00 a week then that is all you would get from them and nothing more. (see below)

(Renting ) this means staff to be on a self employed basis only and they would also supply everything themselves,
they would pay youa clear rent of around £ 100.00 a week or so depending on the salons location, and they pay all their own tax ins ect

Here is an example of the percentage way which is easier to work out eg ;
if
you buy all the products ect the person will still be self employed but on a percentage basis then there is no rent for that person to pay
it is done on a
percentage basis of around 50/50 of whatever they earn but if they use any products provided by you then it is 60/40 with the 60 percent going to you and the 40% to them , plus they still pay all their own tax ins ect

eg a Hair cut no product used = 50/50 to each of you.

Hair cut and colour product used = 60% to you 40% to them
its that simple

same with other services nails beauty ect,
hope this is easier to understand

Another set up is if they buy the products then they pay you around 30% of all their earnings , plus they are still self employed

Sorry I cannot help you out with employing people as I don't really employ :hug: minky

Last edited:
Hi Turkishtart , heres another post that may help too :hug:

In return for rent you (the salon owner would) provide all beauticians and hairdressing sinks, electric plug points running water hot and cold,
toilet facilities,
a staff room , a receptionist to take appointments phone calls ,and handle cash,
Client record cards or computerized record bank ect
(for the owner to keep if staff leave)
Heating lighting and fixtures and fittings such as hairdressing chair , and dressing table , storage room for stock preferably all lockable cupboards
(saves a hell of lot arguments )
A couple of nail desks again all lockable :green:
because sometimes usually out of sheer desperation tints ,nail polish, ect get borrowed and never get given back ,

This is a major bone of contention with staff who supply their own products
they get so get fed up and will walk out if their products go missing all the time
so Lockable storage, and stations are a must

Also lot of nail techs, Hairdressers , and beauticians like to use their own brand of products , so its best they supply all their own stock ,

other salons work on a percentage basis the staff still buy all their own stock ect and they give you 25% to 30% of everything they make .

If you were to provide all of the stock ;

(do check with inland revenue as this can be classed as employing people )

instead then you would have to work out a bigger percentage in your favor usually figure of about 50 /50 or 60/40 if any product is involved ? eg a haircut No product 50 /50 with product
60/40 to you

If you use a lot of certain products you may get discounted prices with certain company's for using their brand , so shop around and ask.

Also a very important issue is to have a contracts of employment set out for your any staff ,
get some professional legal advice about this as it will have to be clear in it what they are responsible for and what you are responsible for ,
eg what thier rates of pay are or the percentages or rent charged ect
when any contract and price reveiws will take place,
what to charge the clients
eg they must be responsible for all their own insurance taxes vat if any ect ect .
You will definitely need this ,
hope this helps ,:hug: Im off for a cuppa now :) .

Last edited:
Hi

Hopefully I will be taking on 2 new stylist, now I know one wants 50/50 could anyone clarify what this Includes on both parties

Also what Is the criteria with rent a chair?

Finally sorry:rolleyes: ... Who pays for the apprentice?? or saturday girl/boy?? I know I pay the wages but should they contribute to this??

Thank you In advance :green:

Hiya,

Minky's covered the rental/percentage question, so I won't repeat it.:green:

With regard to the saturday girl/boy, I would have thought that the pay is solely down to you....the new stylists would have contributed within their percentage.

hth's

Latest posts

Back