Whats the best way to start up a business whilst on government benefits?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmamarie

Reaction score
Hello There Fellow Geeks!

I have a big dilemma and was hoping for some advice:confused::!:

I was trying to set up my mobile beauty business aaagggeesss ago! When I was diagnosed with health problems and unable to work for a while:irked:
As its only myself and my son I had to apply for government benefits to help us through!
My doctor has told me that I wont be able to work full time as I have 2 long term illnesses However I am currently taking quite good medication that seems to be making me feel a bit better:)
I would like to try again with my business and see how I get on, At present though I have no paying clients only my immediate family who I have been doing treatments for as and when I have felt like it during my illness. I do not charge my family as they have been very supportive throughout my illness.

Do you think it is possible to find a few clients and work only a couple of hrs a week whilst on benefits?
Will they take into account that I have no clients at the moment or will they stop lots of money as I want to do a bit of work?

I think I will go to my benefit office and have a chat with someone, but if anyone has any advice on this that would be great. If anyone out there actually works for the benefits agency your help and advice would be so great:)

thanks so much for listening geeks:hug:

I think that any income does have to be declared to the benefits people.

Also when working on the public you have to have insurance, so you have to weigh up the pro and cons...

I hope you don't mind me saying :hug: but if it helps a little...working in the beauty industry is very rewarding, but it can also be very stressful and full of ups and downs. It not for the faint hearted...:lol:...now I say this only as something to think about with regards to your health....??

Best of luck x

It should be possible to do a small amount of "therapeutic" work when on benefits (depending on the type of benefit) - although you may find it limited to a small amount, say £80 per month net - you are probably best checking with your local social security office. It will need to be declared though - especially as you would probably count as being self-employed.

I was on benefits when i first got my salon,
i spoke to my adviser and told her that as i was having no luck finding work and i would like to go self employed and asked what they could do to help me,
They sent me on a course where you learn all about self employment (its only 1 day a week for about 4 weeks)
then they put me in touch with business link, i got loads of help and advise and went to the bank with a business plan and got a loan,
then i bought a salon and got on with it,
for the first 6 months i still got all my benefits and then after the 6 months they stop paying you,
because i was not earning enough to pay myself a wage i then went on to claim working tax credits,
this would work out well for you as you have a child so would be entitled to far more benefits than me hth

Thankyou very much for your replies:hug:
You have given me lots to think about:idea:
I am going to speak to my doctor and the benefit office about my ideas and see what they say:)
xx

I've had a bit of a google!

Not sure if this would be of any help
Incapacity Benefit and other benefits for people who are unable to work

It may be a handy website, if this page is not useful.

It would be best to ask the benefit office and chat to your Doctor to see if he thinks you are ready for it.
As Bagpuss says it can be a bit stressful sometimes. But it's a nice industry to be in.
Starting your own business is daunting so it would be nice to think you could still get help whilst setting it up.

Good luck x

hiya , you should be fine you have to let them know your self employed - but it goes on how many hours and how much you earn - you dont get taxed until you earn about 5000 a year ,but its a good idea to pay national insurance(about 10 a month) . Contact the inland revenue they send you on free courses fo beginners ( really social) so you know whats in and out .I was only doing a few clients a week until i got busy but it didnt affect my tax credits - they just like to know whats going on and if they think youve got nothing to hide -they wont hassel you (unless you are bringing home loads )

I'd say definitely speak to someone at your local benefit office as it will depend on the type of benefits you get, etc. I think you are usually allowed to earn a small amount on some benefits as long as you declare it.

What happens though if your business really takes off? Will you refuse clients to keep your income down or will you take on the clients and possibly lose the benefits? Can you change the benefits you receive if your income goes up? This is something you need to find out in advance.

I would also see what your doctor recommends, I know you say you feel better but your doctor might not be happy for you to go back to work. You don't wanna risk your health.

Good luck!

Hi, if i were you i would have a chat with someone at the benefits office to see how many hours you can work and how it will affect your benefits etc. This way you can weigh up the pro's and con's and decide whether or not you still want to go ahead.

I set up my business in 2006, i was only working part time beforehand so i didnt have a hell of a lot of money behind me to start up on my own. Me nad my sister found out that our local council has a chamber that helps provide financial support to people and get you on the right track to opening your business. They gave me a grant to help with start up costs etc. If your business fails you do not have to repay the money. Maybe you could see if your local council does something similar to help you out.

Hope this was of some use to you x

new deal self employment is you can trade for 6 months while still receive full benefits then you either sign off and keep all the profit or continue to sign on and the benefit office keep what you made within that 6 months and you stop trading its a good way to build a client base and not loose out.

Thanks, its a good idea for people to gain work, if they have been unemployed for long periods of time.

Latest posts

Back