When hair is just not viable for extensions help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
helo there
I am newly qualified to hair extensions so I am gathering some models to get their hair done. One girl has contacted me and said she would like them done to "give her hair a rest" as it is in a "terrible state". she says its snapping a lot through colouring too much and says that its only at the front. I havent actually assessed the hair and dont know if I even should as my instincts is telling me she is not viable as her hair needs to be in good condition to take the weight of the extensions.

Should I just follow my gut instinct without seeing her hair and avoid? or will it be ok if the first 5 cm are in good condition? Any advise would be great

Always see for yourself as clients can exaggerate how good their hair is or how bad their hair is but If anyone is suffering hair loss/hair breaking then I tend to stay away from giving extensions xx

I would always see the client even if its for your own experience to learn from many different types of heads of hair. Do a full consultation and if the hair is not in the best state, explain the reasons why you cant proceed. It will show your professionalism and always, it will instil faith into the customer for when her hair does get better.

Im just a bit worried as im not a hairdresser i will be able to identify if its viable or not x

If their hair is snapping off I would advise them to get there hair in better condition before you put extensions in x

If their hair is snapping off I would advise them to get there hair in better condition before you put extensions in x

what could i advise that would help? intensive conditioning? hair mask? and would this help it get in better condition?

what if it was just the ends that were snapping off and the first few inches were fine?

This is why people should have some basic knowledge of hair before training in extensions

If her hair is badly damaged do not fit them and send her to a reputable salon for advice

Also if she's not looked after her hair I'd doubt shed look after the extensions and she's your advert I'd refuse

Also if she's not looked after her hair I'd doubt shed look after the extensions and she's your advert I'd refuse

Thats a good point, I think my gut instinct is telling me not to go there anyway

followed my gut and told her that I really think she should get her hair in better condition so that she had a good base to take the hair extensions. thanks for the advice x

Also just a little extra advice, I would alway do a consultation if you dont already and get them to fill out a consultation form, just so that it covers you if they do have any mihaps with their own hair or they try and blame you. I have always done this and its helped me get out of a few situations where I am been in the right :) if you want a copy of consultation form I use just PM. :) x

Also just a little extra advice, I would alway do a consultation if you dont already and get them to fill out a consultation form, just so that it covers you if they do have any mihaps with their own hair or they try and blame you. I have always done this and its helped me get out of a few situations where I am been in the right :) if you want a copy of consultation form I use just PM. :) x

Yes thank you I always do a consultation form for every treatment that I do, even down to an eyebrow wax! lol. I know I am not a hairdresser and I know my limitations so that is why I asked for the geeks advice. I want to avoid those situations. I do have a consultation form from my trainer but would like a copy so I can see if there is anything glaringly obvious I have missed.

As I thought, I emailed the girl and said that I think the best thing she couold do for her hair was to get it back into good condition - she replied saying "how do i do that"! so I told her to go to a reputable salon and ask them how she can get her hair back into condition and they may be able to offer her some sort of hair conditioning programme or retail her some products to use at home. I think that one was well out of my remit.

Thanks geeks

Just read a few exerpts from your blog and found it a fun read. Ill mark to read it later. I didn'tcome across anything about hair extensions though. What date is that? X

This is why people should have some basic knowledge of hair before training in extensions

If her hair is badly damaged do not fit them and send her to a reputable salon for advice

Absolutely spot on advice!

Yes thank you I always do a consultation form for every treatment that I do, even down to an eyebrow wax! lol. I know I am not a hairdresser and I know my limitations so that is why I asked for the geeks advice. I want to avoid those situations. I do have a consultation form from my trainer but would like a copy so I can see if there is anything glaringly obvious I have missed.

As I thought, I emailed the girl and said that I think the best thing she couold do for her hair was to get it back into good condition - she replied saying "how do i do that"! so I told her to go to a reputable salon and ask them how she can get her hair back into condition and they may be able to offer her some sort of hair conditioning programme or retail her some products to use at home. I think that one was well out of my remit.

Thanks geeks

Good on you!
Most would of just gone ahead regardless : )
X

Latest posts

Back