When to apply rhinestones or glitter?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Reaction score
Hi

My trainer taught me that if I wanted to use rhinestones, I should do my gel bonder layer, stick the stone on and then build up the apex over the top. Similarly, she said if using glitter or opal shimmer (NSI) or anything similar, mix it with the bonder layer gel and build clear gel over the top. This way (in the case of rhinestones), the nail would be smooth and you wouldn't feel the lump of the stone. But surely (and as a fellow geek mentioned on an earlier thread of mine), it would be better to do the lock in layer, build the apex over the top, smooth and file the nail into shape and then stick on the stone or do another very thin layer of gel with the glitter, and then finally seal with glaze and go. This way when doing infills and rebalances etc I can just remove the old stone / glitter fairly easily without having to file off too much gel. What does everyone else think? When do you apply glitters and stones?

Thanks

I wouldn't place any stones THAT far down in the gel....1 it makes them shine less and 2 because its hard to get them off....the whole point of having a gem is that it looks like a gem..if you want something that sits flat then you use something that sits flat...like chunky glitter.

For gems i apply a little adhesive after i have wiped and buffed to shape (just before applying top gloss) where i want the gem...hold it in place for a second...then apply top gloss and cure.

When it comes to re balance time...you just file it off as you are filing the gel.

For glitter

prep
bonder layer
cure
builder layer
cure
clear gel where i want the glitter
no cure
dab glitter on with spare brush
cure
clear gel over glitter only to seal
cure
wipe and buff to shape
clean
top gloss
cure

At re balance time you fill off the glitter as you would POW

I wouldn't place any stones THAT far down in the gel....1 it makes them shine less and 2 because its hard to get them off....the whole point of having a gem is that it looks like a gem..if you want something that sits flat then you use something that sits flat...like chunky glitter.

For gems i apply a little adhesive after i have wiped and buffed to shape (just before applying top gloss) where i want the gem...hold it in place for a second...then apply top gloss and cure.

When it comes to re balance time...you just file it off as you are filing the gel.

For glitter

prep
bonder layer
cure
builder layer
cure
no cure
cure
cure
wipe and buff to shape
clean
top gloss
cure

Same here hun, dont understand why she would tell you to put a gem that far down. ....xxx

For glitter

prep
bonder layer
cure
builder layer
cure
no cure
cure
cure
wipe and buff to shape
clean
top gloss
cure

Quick and simple instructions, thanks. Just one thing. When placing the builder layer of the glitter, how do I avoid getting glitter into my gel pot thus leaving me with a pot of gel and bits of glitter when the next client may only want clear gel. Wiping the brush after each nail of builder would be a waste wouldnt it. Thanks and sorry if this is a dimwit question.
Debbie.

i have another pot which i decant some gel into just to use for glitter and i have a seperate brush

Another pot, another brush. In my opinion it is near impossible not to get the glitter into the gel pop. Hope this helps. :)

Quick and simple instructions, thanks. Just one thing. When placing the builder layer of the glitter, how do I avoid getting glitter into my gel pot thus leaving me with a pot of gel and bits of glitter when the next client may only want clear gel. Wiping the brush after each nail of builder would be a waste wouldnt it. Thanks and sorry if this is a dimwit question.
Debbie.
i use a seperate pot for my glitter.i pour some gel from my bigger pot into a little trial size pot i had spare.
i also dont know why you would want to put gems that far down as i think it defeats the object in using them.it would also make more work for yourself in getting them off.xx

Latest posts

Back